KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riders. New 790 Duke owner here. Recently moved this year from WI to East TN. After a couple rides on the local twisty of 421 (The Snake) I determined my 17 Super Duke 1290 R was over kill for local area riding. Sold my SDR and bought a 790 a few months later. Only have a few rides on the bike so far and have zero regrets with my purchase. The 790 is an absolute blast to ride! :grin: I am midway through converting the bike into my "R" version but once I am finished will post pics.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Welcome man, glad to have you! I dropped from a 1000 to the 790 and have no regrets either. Love it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds like we may be neighbors. I live 6 miles east of Maryville; also new to the area. There is at least one other 790 owner nearby. He will probably chime in on this post soon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh, I take that back. If you are living near 'the snake' you are quite a distance from me. I live near 'the tail of the dragon', more than 100 miles from you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys and JD for getting me in here! Yeah I am about 2 hours from the Tail of the Dragon and about 15 mins from the Snake.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Wouldn't that just be the "dragon" or would it be the "tail of the snake?" Or are they two completely different roads?

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
The Dragon is a great road, but I am a bit spooked by the numbers and varying types of cars and bikes out there; as well as the varying skill levels. The worst fear is someone coming at you, around a corner, in your lane. (cars in particular)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What are your 'R' upgrades?
An Akrapovic slip on was installed by the dealer when I purchased the bike . Ohlins front cartridge kit and rear shock will be getting taken care of in the next week or so by FBI. Passenger pegs are removed and a KTM PP pillion seat cover, CRG Arrow bar end mirrors are installed. Adding an EvoTech tidy tail once I get the OEM led signals that was purchased from the UK. Plan on doing the brake conversion this sping with Galfer wavy rotors, Brembo M50s and a RCS 19 master. It is still a work in progress. :smile:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have not made it down to the Dragon yet. From what I hear it can be crazy with all the people going there. On the weekends even the Snake can become crowded and too busy. This is a video of my second ride on The Snake with the Super Duke 1290 R.

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
What's the speed limit?

Over in VA we used to rip 411 and I think 212 through the Shenandoah Mts but the speed limit was 35 and the Po started cracking down hard. To many people crashing I guess.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts