KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2020 790 Duke

Registered
Looks nice. Loved my Daytona 675R and have to admit i might have been on a Speed Triple if they didn't have all the issues that they do.

Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
Looks great. Wish there was something between the RS and Moto2. Keeps the standard bars and maybe find a cam setup for more midrange. The new Moto Guzzi V100st and this are my two favorite new releases.

Registered
I was going to go look at a leftover 2022 RS this morning. Before we left, my wife got a message from her mechanic friend at the dealer about the new ones that just got announced. I walked past the black/yellow RS and put money down on the new RS in red. Sad about the smaller tank, but it adds some of the tech I didn't want to lose from the 790.

Registered
I got my wife a 2010 ST 675 last summer to try and convince her that an upright is better for her back than her beloved CBR600s (and it is). It was a surprising little bike so over the winter we did K-Tech cartridges, a Daytona shock, some EPFA pads, heated grips (790 controller with basic grids under the grips), and a ton of overdue maintenance. Now it's a darn capable machine. I took it on a 2-day twisties road trip with some friends in early September and enjoyed the smoothness but found myself missing the 790's addictive punch.

I've ridden a friend's 2020 ST 765R and it was similar to the 675 in position and feel, but more refined and there was more grunt everywhere (we traded for a stretch when I was on the 675, so no back to back with the 790 unfortunately). It made me start looking for a 20-22 RS, but not necessarily to replace the 790 as the track bike. I'd have to sell or trade the 790 in to make the 2024 work (we already have 6 bikes anyway, garage is full), so hopefully I won't be too disappointed with the torque curve.

Registered
Yep, got a KTM and have been very happy with it.
But let's be honest. The dependability of our KTM is definitively not that of the Triumph. KTM are just so fun the we forgive a lot. I have a 2019 speed Triple and never a problem. Both my 790 and 890r have had issues this only electrically brake on 890r which dealership could have fixed in a day of they knew what they were doing but took 3 months and I came to them in the end telling them what was the fixed and they changed part and no problems since.

Registered
I agree 100%. My 2012 675R was an amazing bike and extremely reliable. Never had an issue with it. The problem with this current generation of Triumph's is the new TFT and Electrics. When I looked last spring there were tons of issues, mostly with the Speed, with exhaust valves, TFT's, quickshifter, failed transmissions, and Key fobs not working mid-ride. Those are issues that i'm sure Triumph has fixed but at the time it was very common and those are mostly issues I can't take care of by myself , nor do I want to with a price point over 20k.

The KTM has plenty of quirks.....but leaking oil seals and gaskets are an easy fix for me. Should it be happening....no. But if that's the common issue, I can deal with that. Their electric package seems a bit more reliable overall. Perfect?....probably not. The transmission seems fragile and the shifts aren't as crisp as i'd like.

I like that the KTM is a hooligan bike. I don't do any track riding anymore and the KTM has been a nice alternative on the street. I like that all of the modern aids and assists are there....but can also be turned off. I like that the bike uses a turn key and not key fob.

This new Street Triple looks amazing and i'm sure the electric stuff has been worked out at this point.....If I didn't buy the 890R the Street would be my pick.

Registered
I've had trust issues with my 790 since last year, and after the Power Commander over the winter (to smooth out the jerkiness) I have range issues to boot. I can deal with seals/gaskets, but my main issues have been hard parts not wear items. 10k km and my original countershaft seal is still bone dry.

I love the 790's agility and torque, it's a blast on our tight track that favours supermotos over sport bikes. But if I'm going out of reasonable fuel/tow range I grab the keys to the old 675. Sucks after putting so much into the 790 to get it to where it is now. :confused:

Registered
yeah understandable. I rarely do long rides, I just don't have the time. It's great for 1-2 hour blasts locally.....but would probably pick the 675 for longer distance rides as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts