KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since several guys have asked about my tail bag, I thought an install post would be helpful.
Nelson Rigg Commuter Lite Tail Bag

This is a great little tail bag for the 790 Duke. It's the perfect fit for the rear pillion seat.

The bag comes with two quick release straps for front and rear. As you can see in the photos I am just using the front strap.

The rear seat on many bikes have a width that gets narrower as you move aft. This would allow the tail bag to slide aft and perhaps in some cases fall off the end of the seat.

You will notice in the picture that I poked a hole in the strap on each side and installed a fender washer while using the existing bolts in the bottom of the seat. This eliminates any rearward migration of the tail bag and also keeps the strap from coming between the rubber seat pad where it mates to the subframe.

For the rear end of the bag I used a zip tie and there is a method to this madness. Since the rear of the seat has a lot of taper and the rear strap would be very close to the end of the seat and could interfere with the seat latch mechanism, I decided to eliminate the rear strap and just zip tie the bag handle to the bikes grab handle. When you want to take the seat and bag off to get to the battery you can just cut the zip tie or do as I did in the pic and just flip the bag over.

It's so easy even a cave man can do it. I hope this is helpful.

Cheers mates.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Car
Bag Bicycle basket
Vehicle Car
Product Tire Automotive tire Auto part Vehicle
Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Tire
Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Technology Auto part Electronic device

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Velcro strap is a good idea. I used them to mount my tail bag on my Versys.

Your Nelson Rigg is the bigger of the two. I had the big one on several bikes.

The one on my Duke is the slightly smaller one. Either way they are great little tail bags.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I did same thing, same NelsonRigg bag, real good setup, used velcro strape to pull back on grab bar.
Hey you have some nice looking hand guards on there. What are they and where did you get them?

Nice looking fly screen too. What is it and where did you get it?

I just ran across this vid. I'm thinking you made it?

Registered
Hand Guards are Power Bronze from GBR, save your money, I'll be modding some like the Mad Max 790 Duke this winter. The screen is KTM Power Parts Touring screen it's for sale in Parts For Sale. I have a Puig on it now.

Registered
I'll be modding some like the Mad Max 790 Duke this winter.
I will be interested to see how you do so. I use Barkbuster BBZ guards in winter but would prefer to have a full 2 point alloy frame inside.
I really must spend some time looking at generic hand guards on ebay/amazon.

Registered
That looks like a great bag setup, I'm sick of getting my backpack off with helmet and leather jacket.

I would love to see a thread dedicated to handguards

Registered
Thanks, just bought one from Winding Roads here in UK, nice bit of kit. Installed as above cheers.
One question.. It says 15.5litres expanded, 11 when not. I just tried to get a 5 litre petrol can (plastic) in it. It fills it expanded! Are your Americam litres different to ours?!
How the heck that can take 15L is beyond me. I'll lash my R10 Krieger in top for Spain next year.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, just bought one from Winding Roads here in UK, nice bit of kit. Installed as above cheers.
One question.. It says 15.5litres expanded, 11 when not. I just tried to get a 5 litre petrol can (plastic) in it. It fills it expanded! Are your Americam litres different to ours?!
How the heck that can take 15L is beyond me. I'll lash my R10 Krieger in top for Spain next year.
Good question. I have no idea how the capacity is calculated.

Must be some of that "fuzzy math" at work here.

Cheers.

Registered
Hey Hawker, could You get a spare visor in the 鈥渓ite鈥 tail bag? I like packing a clear visor in case of **** weather, or accidental need to ride past dusk (too much wildlife where I live)

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Hawker, could You get a spare visor in the 鈥渓ite鈥 tail bag? I like packing a clear visor in case of **** weather, or accidental need to ride past dusk (too much wildlife where I live)
You should be able to fit one in. The tail bag unzips and expands upward for bigger items. You may have to rearrange current items to make room for a visor.

I'm with you about riding in the dark hours. I have seen far too many deep pot holes and road debris, not to mention animals crossing the road. I have come very close to hitting a full grown turkey twice now and at speed. Pretty sure that one would leave a mark :rolleyes:

Several times I have seen an aluminum ladder in the middle of the road. Imagine hitting that at 70 mph.:poop:

Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank Motorcycle Motor vehicle

Registered
Ha good to hear, I went and ordered one last night any how! Last time I broke the 鈥漝on鈥檛 ride at night rule鈥 I was lining up to Pass a car as soon as the tight mtn curve with no sight lines ended... then we (the car, and myself) Saw momma moose and 2 calfs running down the highway In front of the car scattering as we dodged them. I obviously tensed up a bit as I drifted the rear end out (which is odd as I鈥檓 not much of a rear brake user) while emergency braking and cornering (and watching mom and one calf go left, while 3rd had its ass kissed by the car and spun it passed me on the left). I tell ya Redbull has nothing on Adrenaline! Probably only a few seconds of action but it Felt like the world went into slow motion!

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did hit a deer way back in the early 70's. We were coming back from Big Sur along the central coast after a weekend of hang gliding. East bound on highway 46 going about 75 when she jumped out right in front of us. Fortunately I was driving my 74 Ford Van.

Did not have time to hit the brakes before the world exploded. Knocked the radiator into the fan and water pump with a big explosion of steam and water. My buddies behind me thought a bomb went off. Needless to say we became a real FORD...Found On Road Dead.

I shudder to think what would have happened if that deer had decided to jump up in the air. My buddy and I would have had venison sushi for dinner.

Registered
I did hit a deer way back in the early 70's. We were coming back from Big Sur along the central coast after a weekend of hang gliding. East bound on highway 46 going about 75 when she jumped out right in front of us. Fortunately I was driving my 74 Ford Van.

Did not have time to hit the brakes before the world exploded. Knocked the radiator into the fan and water pump with a big explosion of steam and water. My buddies behind me thought a bomb went off. Needless to say we became a real FORD...Found On Road Dead.

I shudder to think what would have happened if that deer had decided to jump up in the air. My buddy and I would have had venison sushi for dinner.
yep there鈥檚 sooo many deer here, which is why my night time (actually more like civil twighlight) rule is in place for me!

Registered
I got this exact bag for Fathers Day today in time to go for my 600 mile twisties bonanza tomorrow. The tip to bolt the front strap in worked perfectly. I don鈥檛 have the grab rail so I just created a looped strap combination and wrapped it around the tail tidy mounting point on the undertail. Worked great to secure the rear of the bag.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got this exact bag for Fathers Day today in time to go for my 600 mile twisties bonanza tomorrow. The tip to bolt the front strap in worked perfectly. I don鈥檛 have the grab rail so I just created a looped strap combination and wrapped it around the tail tidy mounting point on the undertail. Worked great to secure the rear of the bag.
Glad it worked for you.

Have a safe and fun ride tomorrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts