KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so it's not on a Duke, it's on my previous ride a 2012 Street Triple R, which I miss dearly, but am looking forward to a track day on the Duke come Spring/Summer. I'm going to the same track as in the video below, which was shot 9/8/2018 at Oregon Raceway Park.

Question. I'm between beginner and intermediate. Do you think the stock Maxxis would hold up on a hot summer day? I've read reviews of journalists riding the tires on a track, so I figure if they, who are assuredly faster than me, do it, I could.

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
242 Posts
Looks like fun! Personally i'm a tire snob, that is something I NEVER skimp on as it is one the piece of the bike constantly in contact with the ground. I'm sure the Maxxis would work, but would I want to use them at the track when there is much better rubber out there? No.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
ORP is a pretty awesome track - did a double header there myself around 7 years ago. It's like a roller coaster when ran clockwise (it can be ran bi-directionally).

As for the tires:

- Have Journo's ran the OEM Maxxis tires on track - yes. Keep in mind these are typically VERY experienced riders/ex-racers who have typically ran thousands of laps on track so their pace on mediocre tires can be quite impressive while still maintaining a high margin for error. Sadly that doesn't usually translate to Beginner/Intermediate level TD riders who need all the help they can get as their throttle inputs aren't as smooth as they can be, quite often their lean angle is higher than needs to be, and their setup or understanding of the bikes limit's isn't as refined as it will be once they progress.
Look at Race School Instructors as a prime example - they run high end street tires like Dunlop Q3/Q4's or Pielli SC's while teaching Club racers and are doing so on the pointy end of the Advanced group pace or faster and almost never have an issue with grip while riders in Beginner have slicks and tire warmers yet lowside/highside on average roughly 20-30 times more often.

My rule of thumb is proper high end rubber is cheap insurance at the track. Dunlop Q3+, Q4, Pirelli Supercorsa, Metzeler M7's, Bridgestone S22's, etc... will all be a huge upgrade over your Maxxis OEM tires and none of those require tire warmers, just a lap or two and they offer amazing levels of grip.

As for your video - if there are Instructors at ORP have them work with you on RPM Management and upshifting/downshifting - those two items you can have an "a-ha" moment with after you see the difference they make. You are vastly underutilizing your bikes ability and the upshifts are unsettling the bike - sort those two out and that alone will increase your margin of error and drop a LOT of time around ORP.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ORP is a pretty awesome track - did a double header there myself around 7 years ago. It's like a roller coaster when ran clockwise (it can be ran bi-directionally).

As for the tires:

- Have Journo's ran the OEM Maxxis tires on track - yes. Keep in mind these are typically VERY experienced riders/ex-racers who have typically ran thousands of laps on track so their pace on mediocre tires can be quite impressive while still maintaining a high margin for error. Sadly that doesn't usually translate to Beginner/Intermediate level TD riders who need all the help they can get as their throttle inputs aren't as smooth as they can be, quite often their lean angle is higher than needs to be, and their setup or understanding of the bikes limit's isn't as refined as it will be once they progress.
Look at Race School Instructors as a prime example - they run high end street tires like Dunlop Q3/Q4's or Pielli SC's while teaching Club racers and are doing so on the pointy end of the Advanced group pace or faster and almost never have an issue with grip while riders in Beginner have slicks and tire warmers yet lowside/highside on average roughly 20-30 times more often.

My rule of thumb is proper high end rubber is cheap insurance at the track. Dunlop Q3+, Q4, Pirelli Supercorsa, Metzeler M7's, Bridgestone S22's, etc... will all be a huge upgrade over your Maxxis OEM tires and none of those require tire warmers, just a lap or two and they offer amazing levels of grip.

As for your video - if there are Instructors at ORP have them work with you on RPM Management and upshifting/downshifting - those two items you can have an "a-ha" moment with after you see the difference they make. You are vastly underutilizing your bikes ability and the upshifts are unsettling the bike - sort those two out and that alone will increase your margin of error and drop a LOT of time around ORP.
Yeah an instructor that day followed me and told me to work on shifting as well... but now with the QS... :devil: I haven't had issues like others with it. It's smooth 99% of the time. I'll probably use it less on downshifting though... so what do you recommend as a shifting method?

About the tires... I had Dunlop Q3+ that day and they worked great, until they didn't one chilly morning (40-45 F) and it wound up totalling the Striple :crying: I'm a little weary of putting them on for everyday use, and if I got new tires they stay on after the track day.

That's why I'm thinking of just running the stock tires... a compromise true. I'll keep in mind about what you said about lean angle... I was also told to hang off the bike more.

Rollercoaster is exactly the word that came to mind when I road it too. I like it better than PIR personally. Not as fast but so much fun!

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
In case you are thinking the tires in the link that you posted above are the OEM Maxxis tires on the 790 Duke, I just want you to know that they are totally different tires.

The OEM Maxxis tires can't be purchased as replacements, they are only available as an OEM spec made tire.

The Maxxis ST tires are indeed a decent tire, a local shop is selling boatloads of them as they are really cheap and offer decent grip AND awesome wear rates.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In case you are thinking the tires in the link that you posted above are the OEM Maxxis tires on the 790 Duke, I just want you to know that they are totally different tires.

The OEM Maxxis tires can't be purchased as replacements, they are only available as an OEM spec made tire.

The Maxxis ST tires are indeed a decent tire, a local shop is selling boatloads of them as they are really cheap and offer decent grip AND awesome wear rates.
Ah, okay... I assumed that the rubber was the same. Actually I've heard the stock tires wear pretty quick.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
446 Posts
Ah, okay... I assumed that the rubber was the same. Actually I've heard the stock tires wear pretty quick.
It's all perspective IMO- I run tires that last typically 3000 miles/set, I think thats commendable for my riding style on the street - some guys would lose their minds at any set of tires that didn't offer double or triple that mileage.

A friend finally wore through his OEM set and he was pissed they wouldn't wear out soon enough LOL.

·
Registered
415 Posts
After checking out your video, id say you want something a little more grippier than the Maxis, they may turn to jelly if pushed hard, and why risk your bike and also risk not having as great a day as your concerned about the tires. The 790 will find the limit to even the best road sport tires. My S22 took a beating on our tight twisty Taupo track with track temps above 55C. Theres some great sporty road tires out there M7RR/S22/ PRIII/ Conti Sport Attack/Pilot Powers etc. All will do the job and still give good road milage. My plug is for the S22's, they are awesome tires. PS, put some good brake pads up front.

·
Registered
23 Posts
fully agree to the above: why even asking?

You’re fast compare to everyday rider, confident in your angles change, why take the risk of a tire not trusted for years?!

I took out my Maxxis while I was just 600kms on it for Rosso 3 as I had a track day. I’ll keep them if ever I need to sell the bike...better than worn out track tires.

But if you go on track, tires is least yo even ask yourself: go to whichever make/model you know. 👍

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well. Seems like the consensus is I should swap tires... well I guess I'll try the S22s. I trust Bridgestone. I just don't want to get caught out in cold temps like I did on my Dunlop Q3+. That soured my taste for hypersport tires and everyday riding conditions.

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
242 Posts
Well. Seems like the consensus is I should swap tires... well I guess I'll try the S22s. I trust Bridgestone. I just don't want to get caught out in cold temps like I did on my Dunlop Q3+. That soured my taste for hypersport tires and everyday riding conditions.
I wouldn’t worry as much with other tires, just read the reviews. From what I read in the review sections the Q3+ are no good in cold weather. I ran Bridgestone BT16s on my 1098 and they warmed up quick and were great for the street. Hated them at the track through, but all my buddies loved them on their 600s at the time. Just too much torque I guess for that tire who knows, good rain tires too!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Im all booked in for the KTM trackday on monday 23rd of March. Geoff if you read this and are keen, you could get the booking info from Boyds. PS i have a garage booked. Was $100 for track and $25 for shed. Join me.

·
Registered
415 Posts
$100 NZ for a track day? That's $64 US. :surprise:

Track day here in US is a wee bit more...
Its a great track also for the 790, lots of tight hair pin corners, one good straight where the 1000s pass, run by great people. A standard track day is $150 plus $25 for the garage, but KTM subsidies this day and supply lunch a few goodies and a BBQ with beer at the end of the day. also 6-15 to 20min sessions each group (usually 3 for KTM day) heaps of room on the track as about 60 bikes attend. Yeah, really good value. KTM Australia do a lot of good things here in NZ, theres an annual Adventure ride, around 4-6 days of back gravel country roads, apparently its bloody awesome. KTM are doing it right by their riders, they are growing from strength to strength here.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well after Covid 19 and my last KTM only track day cancelled, 7 or so weeks later I'm loading the van for a Saturday open day track day. Bikes is already to load. CAT back in place with and open IXIL should see the little 790 roar again after loosing the baffle last track day. Weather been fantastic here, forecast for a brisk sunny 16C day, so really happy to get back on the 790.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Enjoy Dave!

Does your trusty helper get to tag along as well or does he/she have to stay home and guard the Casa?
Jono stays home to guard the PonderaRosa. Great day at the track. very cool/cold day, started out foggy, so start delayed to 10pm. 3 -790's, so a nice change from just mine there. Got to hand it to these S22's. Last track day, 37C with a track temp of 55C, tires worked great but did get a little squirmy with the heat. Yesterday 12C, and track temp reached only 17C, the S22's were in their element, no slips, no movement, just stuck like glue. The S22 does like a cooler temp. started with 30R 32 F cold, which reached 37C and 39C with the warmers on, so dropped another 2 PSI hot, and that was perfect for them in the cool temps. I ran them too low on the last track day in the heat, as the melted on the edges.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts