KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went for a 4 day holiday with the fam and just to be neurotically obsessive, put clean cardboard underneath the bike to see if it'd drop any fluids while we were gone.

Well I came back and there was a small 1 1/2 inch diameter spot where a couple (maybe 4-5) small drops of coolant had landed. So I traced it back to the point below in the pic (dead center); you can see the ridiculously overpriced pink Motorex coolant at the tip of whatever that is in the middle.

But I can't tell where it's originating from (too crowded).

I turned the bike on and let it get to 4-bars and fan running, nothing, no drip. It's weird... it only seems to happen when cold and left for several days. I never noticed coolant before.

Should I take it in for warranty? They could probably tear it down and find the source pretty quickly right?

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ambient temperatures?

I had something very similar on my Land Rover. Pissed coolant out stood in the cold, but stayed full as long as it was running. My neighbor maintains race cars for a living : he implied head gasket. Warranty job for certain.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ambient temperatures?

I had something very similar on my Land Rover. Pissed coolant out stood in the cold, but stayed full as long as it was running. My neighbor maintains race cars for a living : he implied head gasket. Warranty job for certain.
Thank your neighbor for the tip, I'll definitely look into the gasket. It's the only real issue I've had with it so far, other than an immobilizer failure that happened once (and only once).

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I don't think it's the head gasket, as the point where the coolant was collecting is above the gasket... unless I don't know where the gasket sits.

Pretty sure this is the gasket tho...

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps she just missed you? :grin:
LOL. I hate little annoying things like these, issues that are hard to reproduce. They're the bane of VLSI (very-large-scale integrated) circuit manufacturing, the field I happen to work in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Funny, I rolled my Duke out from the garage yesterday into the sun. Went back inside to get suited up, when i cam back out I noticed a couple drops of something on the ground. At first I thought it was oil, but it seemed to clean, I noticed a couple of drips coming out of the coolant overflow tank, so I think its coolant. Looks like it is leaking from the exact place as your is Colombo. I wiped everything down, went for a ride to get some supplies, when I stopped no leaks, rode back home, no leaks.

I think it might be leaking by the coolant pipe, as I did a little search on the forum and it seems to come up once in a while. I am going to try and tighten the clamp today and see if its loose.

All of these little problems are really annoying. Glad all the dealerships are closed in my area, I just might be tempted to trade it in.
Not sure I would, the Duke is such a rip snorting good time, I mean there isnt another bike on the market now that gives you such a bang for the buck. But these constant little problems!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, could it be coolant coming out from the end of the rubber hoses? See pics, notice all the coolant dried up at the end of the rubber hose? Once the stuff hits something hot, it just evaporates so it's kind of hard to see the trail. I guess I'll have to let it sit for a few days.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Okay, could it be coolant coming out from the end of the rubber hoses? See pics, notice all the coolant dried up at the end of the rubber hose? Once the stuff hits something hot, it just evaporates so it's kind of hard to see the trail. I guess I'll have to let it sit for a few days.
I know that a few people had this issue, just tight it a bit you should be all right after.

·
Registered
124 Posts
LOL. I hate little annoying things like these, issues that are hard to reproduce. They're the bane of VLSI (very-large-scale integrated) circuit manufacturing, the field I happen to work in.
Agreed 100%, also hat-tip to your work. Before the recession in 09 I was using my electrical engineering degree to design/build locomotive simulators for railroads and schools. Remote diag of what my predecessor did was quite frustrating, everything was relays for logic so I'd have to fly out (cheaper than moving a full cab sim). My upgrades and new sims got us remote diag and firmware updates, very nice. I got product onto 4 continents before the crash and trains stopped running. I went back to my family business (VW shop) and repair electronics for other shops that nobody else in town can. Hard to replicate problems is a good chunk of my work, lol.

/threadjack

I've had my left/upper hose replaced under warranty, it was coming through the hose layers so it had failed internally (no amount of clamp tightening will fix that properly, also my clamps were better spring clamps not worm drive). The coolant was following the hose and dripping onto the exhaust. Your coolant drip starts above your headgasket line, so it should just be a hose.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed 100%, also hat-tip to your work. Before the recession in 09 I was using my electrical engineering degree to design/build locomotive simulators for railroads and schools. Remote diag of what my predecessor did was quite frustrating, everything was relays for logic so I'd have to fly out (cheaper than moving a full cab sim). My upgrades and new sims got us remote diag and firmware updates, very nice. I got product onto 4 continents before the crash and trains stopped running. I went back to my family business (VW shop) and repair electronics for other shops that nobody else in town can. Hard to replicate problems is a good chunk of my work, lol.

/threadjack

I've had my left/upper hose replaced under warranty, it was coming through the hose layers so it had failed internally (no amount of clamp tightening will fix that properly, also my clamps were better spring clamps not worm drive). The coolant was following the hose and dripping onto the exhaust. Your coolant drip starts above your headgasket line, so it should just be a hose.

What a strange failure, I didn't even know rubber hoses had layers, and what a cheap part to have fail (fortunately). How bad was the leak on yours?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Definately coolant leak, just tighten the clamp on the hose near the engine and you should be fine. I went to my dealer when it happened and they replaced the hose twice and it kept leaking, so I just tightened the clamp and its been ok since then. And same as your it was only leaking when engine was cold, also some of the coolant was dripping onto O2 sensors and I had a lot of toxic smoke coming out :p

·
Registered
124 Posts
What a strange failure, I didn't even know rubber hoses had layers, and what a cheap part to have fail (fortunately). How bad was the leak on yours?
Hoses have reinforcement cord woven all around them inside. So if there's an issue with the inner layer (common for these production hoses) it'll come out through the fabric bits you can see in the ends. Mine was weeping the same as everyone elses, making steam and a smell when running.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you want the problem to be definitely fix and be sure it won’t brake down on you. Samco makes lifetime warranty silicon hoses replacement for the 790D. They have many colours available from their website or Rottweiler / Racebikebitz have an orange kit.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you want the problem to be definitely fix and be sure it won’t brake down on you. Samco makes lifetime warranty silicon hoses replacement for the 790D. They have many colours available from their website or Rottweiler / Racebikebitz have an orange kit.
Thanks for the tip. I tightened up the lower clamp today (upper clamp is a spring-type). We'll see.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm bored, so found the following here: https://www.techtips.ie/Gates/typical-coolant-hose-failures.pdf . Details of coolant hose failures... fun stuff ;-)

3.1 LEAKAGE
APPEARANCE:
From moisture, drips or coolant bleed marks on or around
the hose clamps, connectors or on the hose itself, to
coolant pouring out of the hose assembly.

CAUSES:
Leakage can be caused by insufficient clamp torque. Heat
causes metal to expand. If a new hose is installed while
the engine is still warm, the expanded diameter of the inlet
or outlet tubes prevents the clamp from tightening as much
as it needs to. Heat also causes the rubber hose to expand
– about 20 times more than the metal. The clamp holds
the hose on the tube, but the hose ‘sets’ in this expanded
state. Then when the engine cools off, a gap appears
between the ‘set’ ID (internal diameter) of the hose and the
contracted OD (outer diameter) of the metal tube, and the
coolant leaks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Esa fuga por donde esta ubicada parece ser una de las tres tipicas de nuestro modelo, la fuga de refrigerante q tienes viene de la manguera gorda que está escondida detras del radiador, justo en medio, esto ira a peor y te daras cuenta porque al fugar caera en los colectores y provocará evaporación con un olor peculiarmente molesto, espero q tengas garantía todavía.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts