KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've decided to share my upcoming trip and I hope you appreciate/enjoy it. If this thread is inappropriate or no one is interested, please let me know. :)

This friday me and a buddy of mine are going to take an 9-day trip starting in my home country, going all the way down to the south of France. We're going to ride appr. 3300 km (2000 mi), carving our way through the best mountains available.

I intend to write a small wrap-up of the day, with some pictures of highlights. Hopefully you will enjoy it and I hope it will inspire every 790D rider to take his/her bike into the mountains, cause that's where it is at its best, in my opinion. :)

I'm gonna finish my first post with some pictures of last year's journey, to get you all a bit warmed up.;) I will make sure the Duke will be in future pics.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
123 Posts
Yeah man, bring it! I'm looking forward to more pictures like those. Spare no detail.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
2 days down! First day wasn't too exciting, cause we wanted to cover a lot of kilometers as efficiently as possible and therefore had to take the highway.

Yesterday though, was great! We rode through Haute Jura National Park and Chartreuse (see route day 2 above).

For some reasons I can't post pictures directly in this post, but I think it's added below. I also have quite some GoPro footage, but that will have to way until we're back home.

Today we will go up Alpe d'Huez and the surrounding mountain areas and then through Ecrins National Park down through Queyras National Park to Barcelonnette to spend the night.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made it back in one piece! What a magnificent week this was. Weather was great, scenery was mesmerizing, food and beers were good. I'd do it all over again next week if I could. The Duke held up well, but I do have a coolant and possibly an oil leak which needs to be fixed. :confused: More info in the photos and any help with finding the cause of these issues is highly appreciated!

Col de la Bonette

Alpe d'Huez

An unexpected bit of off-road riding!

Gorges de Daluis

Meeeeeheheheh.... ;-)

Col des Champs

The lavender fields of the Provence region

Gorges du Verdon (Canyons of Verdon)

Mont Ventoux in the background (we didn't go up. Maybe next time).

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And below the photos of the leakage(s) I'm having... :-(

The coolant leak only shows after a night at the parking lot. Not after an hour, not after a couple of hours. On the final 2 days of our trip I notices a small puddle of coolant underneath the motorcyle and is tastes like coolant and it seems to be coming from quite far up.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The drips onto the O2 sensors on the exhaust could be either a failed hose (is not uncommon - mine failed at 600 miles / 1000 Km just after the first service - needs replacing if so) ... or from where the radiator hose connects to the engine (where the thermostat is) - it's behind the radiator. Need to check the hose connection there. See here and here

There have also been reports of the thermostat O-ring needing replacing, like here.

If the leak on the right hand side of the bike is coolant too it could be the same things as @EvansB2 had here from the overflow tank - if so just re-route the hose.

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
123 Posts
That looks like it was a GREAT trip. Congratulations it must've been a blast.
Thanks for sharing.
Bottoms Up!
Steve

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The drips onto the O2 sensors on the exhaust could be either a failed hose (is not uncommon - mine failed at 600 miles / 1000 Km just after the first service - needs replacing if so) ... or from where the radiator hose connects to the engine (where the thermostat is) - it's behind the radiator. Need to check the hose connection there. See here and here

There have also been reports of the thermostat O-ring needing replacing, like here.

If the leak on the right hand side of the bike is coolant too it could be the same things as @EvansB2 had here from the overflow tank - if so just re-route the hose.
Thanks, dma!

I think the leak on the right could be coolant from the overflow tank. Just before we left I added some coolant and noticed it was a bit above max, so I guess it's been pushed out and indeed the hose is right there in front of the engine. I'm going to clean the bike thoroughly today and see what happens. I will also visit the dealer for the other leak, showing at the O2 sensors.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What a great trip, I wanted to do some sports touring on the 790, now it proves to be the right choice.
Oh yes! You won't regret it, I promise. I'm already thinking of my next trip. After France, Austria, Switzerland and Italy, I'm not sure where I will go next. Any ideas? :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
You've a great eye for a photo. Great pics and great trip. I'm just back from my own trip to the Pyrenees - just posted. Wish I could take pics like you. Nice work.
Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts