KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
VIP member
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After nine months of modifying my 790 Duke, my project is officially complete. I've posted the reviews of the individual upgrades I made along the way, but this is the wrap-up. You can read about it on Motorcycle.com:

Now, its time to simply enjoy the bike by riding it.

Then again the 890 Duke R's handlebar and Stylema calipers look pretty cool...

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
You're close...

I'd change the bars. Whether you go with the 890's or some other good options out there, it changes the riding position and, at least for me, makes a significant difference.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
On the cost side,

We are pretty close on the suspension.
I went with a lower cost can...
I took the eBay route on the RCS 19 and got the M/C conversion for under $200. Didn't do the rear pads or the rotors, so under $300 for the braking conversion...
Didn't do the PCV, yet, so I think another $400 in my future...
Changed the bars, for ~$80 installed...

But we already agreed that there is nothing logical about motorcycles and their related spending.

Who's counting?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I need more seat time before I decide on the 19RCS or not. The PP wave disks and Brembo sintered pads made a big difference on my bike, as they did in yours.

Thinking of suspension but 50/50 on it at the moment as i don't want to spend so much on a 790 where it will bridge the gap to a 890.

I've ordered a Texa Navigator TXB so looking forward to playing with that once it gets here. I like knowing what is going on with my bikes

Really enjoyed reading your articles!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is like everything that you absolutely must do for the 790. I am inspired and bought the same brake setup and upgraded suspension as well.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
This is like everything that you absolutely must do for the 790. I am inspired and bought the same brake setup and upgraded suspension as well.
Sounds like you and I are going down similar paths. I have my WP Apex Pro suspension bits waiting for me at a WP shop waiting for me to get my break-in done before going on. I am also looking at brake upgrades but I'm hoping to maybe just do the pads/ discs and not "Have" to do the master cylinder upgrade.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
439 Posts
I am also looking at brake upgrades but I'm hoping to maybe just do the pads/ discs and not "Have" to do the master cylinder upgrade.
Not to step on anyone's toes here as braking is a very polarizing topic but.... I recently upgraded to track spec EBC HH Extreme Pro (not regular FA HH's) with Motul RBF600 brake fluid and the results are amazing. The pads run roughly $200 and the fluid $20ish so overall a small investment for a HUGE transformation. You have the OEM adjustability on the lever but nothing like an RCS would offer however for a street bike now this bike has more than enough feel and stopping power IMO. I haven't had it on track yet but am confident it'll be up to the task.

If budget isn't a concern - by all means go for the Brembo MC, rotors, calipers - can't go wrong but if you wanna get 90% there for 25% the cost - the combo I mentioned are well worth the money.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
I thought about it all weekend long... Really did...

Looks like I am going to take YL's advice and instead of trading in the 790 for a 890R, I am going to save a few $$ and just change the front sprocket to 15T...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts