KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
VIP member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Wednesday, MO had the chance to ride the 890 Duke R for the day, and let's say that Troy was impressed. Because of the limited time, I didn't get a chance to throw a leg over it (hangs head in shame), but it's already given me ideas for what I'd like to do to my 790 next. We have lots more planned for the 890, including a naked bike shootout and a comparison with my modified 790.

The link below is to the text review, the video version will be dropped into the page later.

This is a good time to be a motorcyclist.

And here is the video:

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
427 Posts
Pretty sure your crew photobombed the legendary (tongue in cheek) Max Wrist video a couple days ago where he loops his S1000RR - up at the lookout of some twisty Cali road - 3 890's with various cameras and tripods set up.

Oh, LOVE their ball-bustin' of Evans AND, simultaneously HATE that it's like they are speaking to me - "DO NOT RIDE THE 890!!!" LOLOL...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’ve built a relationship with it. I will be keeping this bike for years, I think.
I know exactly what you mean. This doesn't happen with a lot of bikes. For me, only 2 other bikes; a 99 R6 that I raced for several years (WSMC and AFM), and a 2003 Mille R. I've always regretted letting go of those bikes.

·
VIP member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know exactly what you mean. This doesn't happen with a lot of bikes. For me, only 2 other bikes; a 99 R6 that I raced for several years (WSMC and AFM), and a 2003 Mille R. I've always regretted letting go of those bikes.
I raced WSMC, too! But on a slow Parallel-Twin, an EX-500. I sold my beloved 2003 R6 to find the 790 purchase.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No, as nice as it appears to be, the 890 can’t replace my 790. I’ve gotten as close as I can with my mods, and in the process, I’ve built a relationship with it. I will be keeping this bike for years, I think.
good to hear, I really want to upgrade to the 890 but just can't justify selling my 790, which I barely just hit the first break-in period.

Also hearing initial reports that the 890 runs a lot hotter than the 790 which is a big concern of mine, I hate bikes that run hot (i.e. Ducatis) and I know KTM's have a reputation for running hot too but ironically the 790 has been one of the cooler running bikes I've owned.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have not seen ANY indication of hot running. Extended idle nets 4 bars on the gauge. Extended HARD riding nets 4 bars on the gauge. Other than 1 person with a potential defective thermostat, I have not read anything about hot running either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts