KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Want some advice on what's the most economical way to get rid of the low-end stumbling/jerkiness in 1st/2nd gears?

I tried a booster plug but it didn't really do much. Oh and I don't want any check engine light on. Is Coober ECU my only option?

·
Registered
238 Posts
15T sprocket helped in other ways but it just moves the worst choppy to a lower speed. I just installed a Rapid Bike Easy module to help with mine, too many poor reports about the Booster Plug. I haven't beaten on the bike yet but it seems to have smoothed the bike out fairly well so far. I cruised home in Sport mode at low rpm without it lean surging everywhere like before.

·
Registered
23 Posts
15T sprocket helped in other ways but it just moves the worst choppy to a lower speed. I just installed a Rapid Bike Easy module to help with mine, too many poor reports about the Booster Plug. I haven't beaten on the bike yet but it seems to have smoothed the bike out fairly well so far. I cruised home in Sport mode at low rpm without it lean surging everywhere like before.
Would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on the Rapid Bike Easy module once you have had time to ride it more. Looks like a very interesting solution.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, I checked with a Seattle tuning shop named 2Wheel DynoWorks. Asked if they can flash our ECUs:

"Unfortunately there's no quality ECU flashing software available for these bikes at the moment."

Oh well 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
416 Posts
I kinda like the low end rumble. It's a unique characteristic of the 75 degree crankshaft.

Guess I just don't get all the complaints "low end roughness."

Thinking if you want sewing machine smoothness get a 4 cylinder liter bike.

Just my 2 cents.

singer-gp.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
I kinda like the low end rumble. It's a unique characteristic of the 75 degree crankshaft.

Guess I just don't get all the complaints "low end roughness."

Thinking if you want sewing machine smoothness get a 4 cylinder liter bike.

Just my 2 cents.

View attachment 7074
Could not agree more. I have never had a problem with low speed running. I think the best solution in many cases may be a bit more practice on throttle control and perhaps a rider training course😀.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Could not agree more. I have never had a problem with low speed running. I think the best solution in many cases may be a bit more practice on throttle control and perhaps a rider training course😀.
Reminds me of people getting a German Shepherd Dog and expecting a Lab.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm new to site and late to the party! It's got nothing to do with taking training course or any other BS. The bike is a pain in the a$# to manuver at slow speed's unless you keep rpm up and feather clutch. Throttle becomes very touchy and needs to be leveled out somehow. One of the reasons a ride by wire is better is because it can programmed to respond differently at in certain situations.iv rid'n All my life always japanese 2 stroke, and inline 4. This is my first twin and it's not like my friends v twin indian/harley. This is a totally different beast! Weight/power and torque is insane and I think that has alot to do with it, what I want to know is this inherent to design of engine or just bad mapping. Personally I can deal with it is a pain in the a#$ sometimes YES. This is the one area a new rider going to struggle with and it's the 1 problem this bike has. Doing low speed manuvers,figure 8, u turns ect. If anyone has used the coober please let me know.i don't like thinking of paying 750.00 for something KTM could do with simple update. Coober works directly with KTM so if there box works then that means KTM just doesn't want to deal with it. Where not talking power gain, just simple ridability adjustments.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've ridden a ton of bikes and owned a ton of bikes in my decades of riding. My 790 suffers from the same thing my 848 does and that's the off idle fueling. The 848 isn't ride by wire though. My RSV4 is and that one is buttery smooth off idle. On my 848 I tried the -1 +2 for gearing and it only moved the problem to a different speed. Anything under 30kms was like riding a bucking bronco with a broken leg. A device called a FatDuc fixed that off idle issue. Sounds like the Booster Plug does the same thing. The FatDuc was adjustable though where the Booster is set. It was suggested on this forum that changing to Rain mode would soften that off idle response. I tried it yesterday and sure enough it does but it neuters the over all performance. My Booster will be arriving shortly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts