KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the the track mode let you dial in power moreso than sport mode?.....it hits pretty good in sport but you kinda have to wait for it.....does track mode let you chnge throttle response and wider power band......my first bike and seemed unreal at first but after getting on highway and bit faster speeds it seems lil sluggish if revs rent built up.....dont like to ride in higher end but mybe thats just how streetbikes are setup idk.....am still new

i have track pkg i just havent really messed around with it......did street mode for a week to get used to bike and now use sport mode consistently....i still like all the safety features of electronics just looking for lil oomph down lower in rpms....

also my bike came with forks sitting at 3 lines showing in t-clamps.....to me seems really high but maybe thats normal.....dont have a baseline as this is my first street bike....i know it should turn better like this and be more stable with them dropooed lower.....wondering wht is stock, avg or what most run theirs at

coming from dirt i would never run my MX bikes this high but then again different type of riding and idk much about street except its pretty fun.....

thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
I keep mine in Track Mode, the throttle set to Sport mode as I have the quick-turn throttle installed, Slip Control set at 4 or 5, and I turn off Wheelie Control. The stock position for the forks is on the second line; mine is on the fourth line. I installed the stiffer WP springs in the forks and on the shock, and I also had the suspension shim stacks custom adjusted by a great suspension shop where I live in Japan.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried track mode right after i wrote this thread and yeah it has alot more from down low......i didnt run sport in track though so maybe ill try that.....i set slip at 4 as i watched a vid of good rider and journalist and thats where he set his at....left wheelie control on......i like track mode bit better and will try street mode in that setting....if it just tames it a hair i think i would be happy for all around setting......i know suspension tuning is huge i used to have all my bikes done by ohlins for MX and makes a big difference..... ...think maybe stock stuff can be done good enough for street. though b4 goin that route....

thanks again il try those settings and see what it feels like...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I keep mine in Track Mode, the throttle set to Sport mode as I have the quick-turn throttle installed, Slip Control set at 4 or 5, and I turn off Wheelie Control. The stock position for the forks is on the second line; mine is on the fourth line. I installed the stiffer WP springs in the forks and on the shock, and I also had the suspension shim stacks custom adjusted by a great suspension shop where I live in Japan.
Few questions for you -
  1. Do you ride at the track, street or both?
  2. How much do you weigh without gear?
  3. What did the shim stack adjustment do for you?
  4. Did you choose the quick turn throttle over just track throttle for a specific reason? If so, what was it?
My 890 will become a track bike and after some, let’s say, difficult experiences at the track over the last couple years. I want to start tweaking this bike over time to get faster, but also more comfortable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Few questions for you -
  1. Do you ride at the track, street, or both?
  2. How much do you weigh without gear?
  3. What did the shim stack adjustment do for you?
  4. Did you choose the quick turn throttle over just track throttle for a specific reason? If so, what was it?
My 890 will become a track bike after some, let’s say, difficult experiences at the track over the last couple of years. I want to start tweaking this bike over time to get faster, but also more comfortable.
My answers to the above questions.
1. I ride both street and track. I would say, I mostly do track riding. The cops are getting aggressive these days in Japan. I also have a 2021 Super Duke R and a 2012 690 Duke European Cup (rare), which is my track-only bike.
2. I weigh 170 now, but when I changed the springs, I weighed around 210! I've been trying to get into a healthier lifestyle these days, and it's working out great.
3. I would say the compression side had the most improvement. My laps times are so much better now. Between the bike and my health improvements, I'm doing much better.
4. The quick-turn throttle is perfect. Overall, the bike seems easier to maintain small throttle openings down low, and how easier to go to full throttle going on the straightaway.
If you have any other questions, let me know.

Reactions: Alchemic

·
Registered
18 Posts
My answers to the above questions.
1. I ride both street and track. I would say, I mostly do track riding. The cops are getting aggressive these days in Japan. I also have a 2021 Super Duke R and a 2012 690 Duke European Cup (rare), which is my track-only bike.
2. I weigh 170 now, but when I changed the springs, I weighed around 210! I've been trying to get into a healthier lifestyle these days, and it's working out great.
3. I would say the compression side had the most improvement. My laps times are so much better now. Between the bike and my health improvements, I'm doing much better.
4. The quick-turn throttle is perfect. Overall, the bike seems easier to maintain small throttle openings down low, and how easier to go to full throttle going on the straightaway.
If you have any other questions, let me know.
Congrats on losing the weight! That’sa lot to lose. Good for you. I probably weight around 220 without gear and could stand to get down to 200lbs. Losing weight is “free” HP and has the benefit of better quality of life.

Thanks for the responses. I’m very curious about the quick turn, but I don’t know if it’s worth the $300 or so that it costs. Probably getting the suspension sorted out first will yield better results - and that would be money better spent first.

I’m in the US, but was wondering if the folks that worked your suspension are WP authorized? Just wondering if I do find a WP authorized shop here, if there’s a baseline shim stack recommendation for 210-220lbs range person that all WP shops will start with/ use.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually have gotten used to track mode for streets.....has more grunt in lower rpms which i like...havent figured out how to set throttle in sport while in track mode....when i try it jumps to sport on screen.....or is that just telling me its in sport throttle but track mode overall?......i like to ride in mid range so more oomph lets bike get up to speed bit quicker....in street and sport you have to wait for it if the rpms are lowish......still learning the bike, one thing m not used too is the wind at higher speeds......80/90 mph you get pushed around alot....is that just normal for streetbikes or would a fly screen alleviate some of this?......

·
Registered
75 Posts
All great info thanks.....do you also disable the MTC + MSR and Launch Control? What about the ABS? I've stayed in Sport mode almost exclusively and am headed to the track this weekend (first time tracking the 890 since I have a track-only R6) so I've been trying to familiarize myself as I'd like to unleash her for the inaugural track episode. At Laguna Seca no less!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
tbh just try it, some ppl cant ride with track - track mode on street,

i have 0 issues, but i also grew up with analogue litrebikes and have what i believe very good right wrist throttle control, but my bike has always lived in track - track slip 2 even when "ice warning" pops up when its 38 degrees or below outside

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does track mode really engage the throttle sooner / more aggressively than sport? I had asked this question a long time ago and the reply was that the throttle response in both "sport" and "track" were the same...
If they are indeed different, I will be purchasing the track pack.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Does track mode really engage the throttle sooner / more aggressively than sport? I had asked this question a long time ago and the reply was that the throttle response in both "sport" and "track" were the same...
According to the book they are different.

In the Adventures it is certainly very different.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Reading above along with finally testing it out this morning, I believe the Track throttle response is definitely snappier, at least down low. As Kevin McDonald above noted, he rides in Track Mode but with the Sport throttle response set as he has the quick turn throttle installed, which then makes perfect sense that the Track throttle response setting shortens the twist. It isn’t as short as my GP 1/4 shift on my track bike but it’s definitely more track oriented!
Also as noted above, it’s less of a “Mode” and more of a customizable extension so it’s a little deceiving but I’m really enjoying lowering the Traction Control and feeling the rear tire slip…I was even noticing it on 7 this morning. Leaving anti wheelie and ABS on until I really dial my understanding of the slip settings…too much too quick has always been an expensive and painful lesson for me to learn!
I’m DEFINITELY stoked I had the Track Pack installed upon purchase though….we’ll see how the changes feel at Laguna Seca in 2 days!🤘🏽

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
for sure track felt more than sport....... comes on stronger and sooner actually, i didnt redline it so top end idk but for sure it picks up quicker and mid range felt stronger....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just got a quote for $460 from dealer i bought the bike from for 600m service.....3 hrs labor plus parts they said....seriously doubt its 3 hrs...owner wasnt in and he is the guy i know also want cruise control added but well see (will contact him directly first).....
i will use the guy in Glendale another rider here used who had a good experience with if it doesnt work out

can rip half the bike apart in 3hrs if you know what your doing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts