KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 2022 890 GP back from the dealer for it's first service check-in. Added the Tech Pak, Coober LM, New Horn, New levers (shorty), and new HyperPro Steering Damper. My technician was really impressed with the Damper. He says that nearly wide open between 3rd and 4th gear often sends the front wheel up off the ground and landing a bit wobbly at times. Not with the HyperPro. He said it was smooth as glass. I can notice an even smoother steering response to an already great steering. Pre Coober I've noticed a small flat spot at 5k RPM. That's gone. Now it pulls much better. Now that I have my first service I flipped into Sport mode. Holy crap! And with the Quick Shifter ripping from light to light I'm giggling like a child being tickled. God, I love this bike!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I added the Coober LM a few weeks ago as well and noticed it power wheelies much easier in 3rd gear now! I also added a mid-pipe to delete the cat so I cut the wire loop on the coober device. Do you have the CEL light on the dash? I've put about 400 miles with the coober and the CEL is still there. I have the HyperPro damper as well but haven't installed it yet, how many clicks did you set the damper?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I added the Coober LM a few weeks ago as well and noticed it power wheelies much easier in 3rd gear now! I also added a mid-pipe to delete the cat so I cut the wire loop on the coober device. Do you have the CEL light on the dash? I've put about 400 miles with the coober and the CEL is still there. I have the HyperPro damper as well but haven't installed it yet, how many clicks did you set the damper?
I just got it back Saturday evening. I'm still playing with the damper. I currently have it on 3 clicks (I think, I have to get under there and look). I've heard any more and initial steering get stiffer. I've also heard stories that with this device tank slappers are a thing of the past (the faster the bike goes the stiffer the dampening). I have no TFT lights on but I still have the Cat. (just an IXIL L3N slip-on w/o DB killers). I'm installing my K&N air filter this weekend.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Got my 2022 890 GP back from the dealer for it's first service check-in. Added the Tech Pak, Coober LM, New Horn, New levers (shorty), and new HyperPro Steering Damper. My technician was really impressed with the Damper. He says that nearly wide open between 3rd and 4th gear often sends the front wheel up off the ground and landing a bit wobbly at times. Not with the HyperPro. He said it was smooth as glass. I can notice an even smoother steering response to an already great steering. Pre Coober I've noticed a small flat spot at 5k RPM. That's gone. Now it pulls much better. Now that I have my first service I flipped into Sport mode. Holy crap! And with the Quick Shifter ripping from light to light I'm giggling like a child being tickled. God, I love this bike!!
is the dealer aware of the coober? any problems warranty wise? Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Man I want a coober and these posts support that, but then at same time coober gets all sorts of problems as well.

I just want to get rid of 5k flat spot, the bike makes plenty of power and I don't need that extra 5 here or on the top

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was really tempted as well, but I've done some research on Coober and the company is so dodgy I'm feeling very, very reluctant. @barbagris advocates a lot for them on this forum and states that they work (among others) for ktm doing engine analysis but the only info I could find that connects them with KTM is that they sued KTM at some point not too long ago because they stopped selling them empty ECUs to program, or they found out and shut them down. I bet that's the reason they switched to LM devices.

Add to that that anything they say on forums/facebook is either incomplete or confusing or straight up does not make sense in English. If you say that maybe it's a language barrier, but honestly for a start these guys have an entire branch in US, and second anything they say is so far away from sound engineering and logic that it absolutely baffles me that they can put together any kind of device that can do anything.

I have had an email exchange with them and after they answered with nonsense, I tried reformulating the questions more specifically and they just did not answer.

For the record they are saying that some 890s are showing the check engine light with the LM because the "signal structure is very bad", I interpret this as "the lambda sensors are broken and the LM can't work with them". Now imagine if that was the case surey these bikes would have some problems even without the LM?

On their FB they posted a year go that they have up to -10hp on 890Rs after a certain delivery date, with a number of them having low oil at delivery. Not sure if these bikes are brought to them by customers in Austria right after purchase or they collaborate with a dealer. They do not offer any explaination as to why this could be the case (where's the engine analysis?).

I was especially interested in knowing since I saw Cycle World measuring only 2nm more torque at the wheel on 2 different 890Rs compared to a stock 790(!!).

Also, I noticed that they do not offer returns for LM devices in europe. I said I'm willing to buy it and try if you have a return policy if I'm not happy with it. They said no. This is obviously in contrast with EU law (that states that they must allow for returns within 14 days), but also their excuse is that the device is "customised" and "sealed" and locks itself up after calibrating on the bike and cannot be resold etc. Needless to say, a load of absolute crap. Note that the owner himself (Brani Stojakovic) is answering the emails (with this bullshit).

Oh well, I even tried researching the parent company owned by the same guy, Innalpin gmbh but there's nothing on the internet. If these guys were doing research and engineering for manufacturers surely they'd advertise it on A website?

My conclusion is that their piggyback devices after the KTM lawsuit are very much in danger of being pulled due to KTM/other manufacturers suing and that's why they keep a low profile. I'd also argue that this is their main business. Their engine analysis seems limited to pulling data from dyno runs. The only data about their devices is coming from Pirate Racing and it's not clear their affiliation, I'd argue it doesn't count as an independent test. Yes, some people had problems (eg. throttle stops working).

Maybe @barbagris can chime in if he knows more

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was really tempted as well, but I've done some research on Coober and the company is so dodgy I'm feeling very, very reluctant. @barbagris advocates a lot for them on this forum and states that they work (among others) for ktm doing engine analysis but the only info I could find that connects them with KTM is that they sued KTM at some point not too long ago because they stopped selling them empty ECUs to program, or they found out and shut them down. I bet that's the reason they switched to LM devices.

Add to that that anything they say on forums/facebook is either incomplete or confusing or straight up does not make sense in English. If you say that maybe it's a language barrier, but honestly for a start these guys have an entire branch in US, and second anything they say is so far away from sound engineering and logic that it absolutely baffles me that they can put together any kind of device that can do anything.

I have had an email exchange with them and after they answered with nonsense, I tried reformulating the questions more specifically and they just did not answer.

For the record they are saying that some 890s are showing the check engine light with the LM because the "signal structure is very bad", I interpret this as "the lambda sensors are broken and the LM can't work with them". Now imagine if that was the case surey these bikes would have some problems even without the LM?

On their FB they posted a year go that they have up to -10hp on 890Rs after a certain delivery date, with a number of them having low oil at delivery. Not sure if these bikes are brought to them by customers in Austria right after purchase or they collaborate with a dealer. They do not offer any explaination as to why this could be the case (where's the engine analysis?).

I was especially interested in knowing since I saw Cycle World measuring only 2nm more torque at the wheel on 2 different 890Rs compared to a stock 790(!!).

Also, I noticed that they do not offer returns for LM devices in europe. I said I'm willing to buy it and try if you have a return policy if I'm not happy with it. They said no. This is obviously in contrast with EU law (that states that they must allow for returns within 14 days), but also their excuse is that the device is "customised" and "sealed" and locks itself up after calibrating on the bike and cannot be resold etc. Needless to say, a load of absolute crap. Note that the owner himself (Brani Stojakovic) is answering the emails (with this bullshit).

Oh well, I even tried researching the parent company owned by the same guy, Innalpin gmbh but there's nothing on the internet. If these guys were doing research and engineering for manufacturers surely they'd advertise it on A website?

My conclusion is that their piggyback devices after the KTM lawsuit are very much in danger of being pulled due to KTM/other manufacturers suing and that's why they keep a low profile. I'd also argue that this is their main business. Their engine analysis seems limited to pulling data from dyno runs. The only data about their devices is coming from Pirate Racing and it's not clear their affiliation, I'd argue it doesn't count as an independent test. Yes, some people had problems (eg. throttle stops working).

Maybe @barbagris can chime in if he knows more
I know what I experience. The previous Coober (non-LM) I put on my 2020 390 made the biggest difference. It became significantly smoother and had more pull up the Rev range. It's a little more subtle with the LM on my 890. It's smoother, idles more steady, and the 5k flat spot is virtually gone. I like it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know what I experience. The previous Coober (non-LM) I put on my 2020 390 made the biggest difference. It became significantly smoother and had more pull up the Rev range. It's a little more subtle with the LM on my 890. It's smoother, idles more steady, and the 5k flat spot is virtually gone. I like it.
Another note: I have had excellent experiences with email correspondence with an Aaron Stuter, Owner / CEO of Coober USA [email protected] He is always prompt and informative. He even sent me a free T-shirt lol.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am still gonna stay away from coober, I also think it's shady as **** to have to email them if the 890 lm is available for sale and they then list it on their website that's it's in stock, but if you wait a few days it goes out of stock again and you hafta email them again.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
the only info I could find that connects them with KTM is that they sued KTM at some point not too long ago because they stopped selling them empty ECUs to program,
Lot's of interesting info in there. Thank you. Some of which I will persue. Because my interest is piqued.

I have no direct contact to them - I bought mine via WINGS exhausts with their pipe. But when I had problems - Wings called them (I think both are actually Slovenians) and had an answer to me in a couple of hours. Since then no issues and without any qualms I will say that it smoothed out the quickshifter really really well. I have no empirical data - But power claims - I doubt if there is much - if any. It is smoother low down. That's it really.

If KTM stopped selling them ECU's - I wonder how Austin Racing gets them? Because the ATOM is identical to the old COOBER box except the MAP. Unless they were doing evil things to OEM ECU's. But it could be as simple as the way MotoGuzzi stopped selling wheel hubs to Alpina Wheels. They were needed elsewhere.

The lambda manager thing - I don't know anything except what I've seen on Youtube. But there have been others who tried to make one and failed back in 2019/2020 - because the "signal structure" is really "odd". You could read BAD as UNPREDICTABLE o DELIBERATELY BAST*D DIFFICULT. rIf it was simple then DynoJet would have found a way. I believe that RapidBike has a way around it and I know that most ECU re-flashes can lock the sensors out somehow. I tried to find out how and hit stone walls. Because they don't want to tell you - that is actually pretty much what RapidBike said. It could well be that when you know how - you say "'kin'ell that was easy", but it's cost you 1000's to find out so you ain't saying anything.

We had another member on here iirc who seemed to get very direct responses from COOBER (Austria).

But my inference to his posts was that you needed to ask very specific questions and you got a very specific response.

There was a tuner in Austria (on the German language forums) who also had direct contact with them and was putting their info into practice trying to make hes own LM type device. COVID impacted his business quite heavily so he gave up the R+D.

The 890 oil thing - I remember my dealer telling me they had called a customer or two on the first ones to came in for an oil check. COOBER may have overplayed that a bit.

The no web thing - yea that's sort of a Red Flag to some (including - professionally - to me. But here in Spain there are a mass of really top grade companies with crappy webs.
One way to look at is is - No marketing - so must be hiding summat. The other way is - we make enough via word of mouth - why spend money.

Right - those are just random thoughts. The devil needs his advocate elsewhere.

·
Registered
126 Posts

I described my experience somewhere else and it is quite similar.
I have one of those 890R with "signals at the limit" and I eventually received another LM unit which doesn't trigger the CEL.
On my bike the effect is "subtle" but could I ask for more from a device that connects to the O2 sensors only ?
However, Brani has always been very responsive...at least until I started asking details about those bad signals!
As I didn't see any change in gas consumption either, my unit might be a mere shunt (hopefully :D ).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do you have any links where they discuss the signal structure? I wouldn't be surprised if it was some kind of protection through obfuscation seen that both the sensors and ecu are Bosch. If that's the case they might be getting around it with some half-baked dirty hack that works some or most of the time.

The atom looks like the old Coober but it's also a piggyback with more connections like the rapidbike evo from what I understand. It's not a replacement ECU, while Coober actually sold (and still sell so don't know how it panned out with the lawsuit) replacement ECUs for enduro (eg. the TPI ones).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts