KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally picked up my bike this week as it’s been stuck with the dealer for a few weeks whilst they completed first year service and fixed an ongoing coolant leak, apparently took some time as they were waiting on parts.

Fortunately they gave me a loan bike which was their demo MT07 - I’ll try write up a comparison review over the weekend.

I decided whilst they had the bike may as well switch out the Maxxis as they had squared off after 5000 miles and were beginning to affect the handling. I ride year round I needed a decent Sport Touring tyre, my last bike Street Triple had Metzler Roadtec 01 which were fantastic and also lasted about 5k. Having used Pilot Roads in the past I decided to go back to Michelin with their new Road 5 and give it a try.

First impressions, 30 mile trip back from the dealer took it easy at first to scrub them in, but got caught in a pocket of heavy downpour about halfway back. As expected they didn’t skip a beat, perfectly comfortable in the wet and overall feels like a new bike again.

So far fantastic, have had a mix of wet and dry this week and it’s been great. It’s been a bit cooler, but nowhere near as cold as it will be in a few months, so will be interested to see how they perform when it starts getting down to lower single digits (C) but I expect they will be just as good as the old PR’s. They also look pretty good on the bike.

Fingers crossed I don’t find another nail like the last time I had a new set fitted :devil:

Anyone else running these? What’s your thoughts?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Had these on the last one, no complaints and they’d kept their profile really well for 2k miles before the accident.
Will use the same again once the bike is run in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Road 5 - more sport tyre when you need it!

Fitted R5’s to my Multi after running PP2/3’s and blown away by how much grip and feel they give. I can’t stop grinding away the foot Pegs! They are every bit as good as the sports tyres I’ve been using (on road) and I’m hoping that they’ll last longer but only have about 2k on them so far but still looking good. The PP3 rear was toast after about 2.5k!
Of course if you plan to do tracks too then you’ll need a dedicated sports tyre up to the job such as the Power RS which is supposedly a great performer.
:nerd:
Booney

·
Registered
415 Posts
Running PR5's on both my Multistrada and my 1290GT, (Great fast touring tire) but I'm running Bridgestone S22 on my 790, i prefer the added grip pf the S22 for balls out riding and track days.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just bought a set of Road 5's for the 790. Tires seem like they would be the best for my kind of riding. Dual compound so it'll last longer on the middle of the tire where I tend to flat spot (thanks NJ roads) yet are pretty much a slick on the edge of the tire. Loved the PP3's I had on my old 636.

·
A d m i n .
151,126 Posts
Just bought a set of Road 5's for the 790. Tires seem like they would be the best for my kind of riding. Dual compound so it'll last longer on the middle of the tire where I tend to flat spot (thanks NJ roads) yet are pretty much a slick on the edge of the tire. Loved the PP3's I had on my old 636.
I can get near 10,000 miles on my heavyweight ZX-14R, (PR4), I'm thinking they will really go the distance on the 790D. :smile_big:

·
Registered
415 Posts
On both my Multistrada and 1290GT i got just on 6000kms on the front PR5, rears have around 1500kms left, I've decided to stick with PR5s on the Multistrada, its my 2up bike so fitted a new front, but on my 1290GT, my fast touring bike with mates I've just brought a set of Conti Road Attacks, never ridden on Conti's so be great to hear from anyone thats tried them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
On both my Multistrada and 1290GT i got just on 6000kms on the front PR5, rears have around 1500kms left, I've decided to stick with PR5s on the Multistrada, its my 2up bike so fitted a new front, but on my 1290GT, my fast touring bike with mates I've just brought a set of Conti Road Attacks, never ridden on Conti's so be great to hear from anyone thats tried them.
One of my mates with a 1290 GT is on his second set of Road Attacks, having previously had Road 5's. He much prefers the Attacks in terms of both handling and life on that bike.

·
Registered
415 Posts
One of my mates with a 1290 GT is on his second set of Road Attacks, having previously had Road 5's. He much prefers the Attacks in terms of both handling and life on that bike.
When hunting for a set of tires at Boyds, and thinking il get another set of PR5s, the guy there said a few of the 1290GT guys like the Conti's better over the 5s, so i grabbed a set for the GT. But they were $80 dearer. Prob fit them in a few weeks once the 5s front is totally done. Looking forward to trying them, no scrubbing in like the 5s, ready push out of the block.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
When hunting for a set of tires at Boyds, and thinking il get another set of PR5s, the guy there said a few of the 1290GT guys like the Conti's better over the 5s, so i grabbed a set for the GT. But they were $80 dearer. Prob fit them in a few weeks once the 5s front is totally done. Looking forward to trying them, no scrubbing in like the 5s, ready push out of the block.
Hope you enjoy them. My mate Steve with the 1290 gets his bike serviced and tyres fitted at Boyds. I'll be there in a few days buying a summer mesh jacket :smile:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sup!

I just fitted the duke with bridgestone new s22 tire after doing 6800km with the maxxis! As owl said the handling was getting very poor with square tires haha!
I find the new tires to directly give more confidence and much better feeling when i lean. Well see how hey act in the rain..

Greetz

·
A d m i n .
151,126 Posts
Getting back on topic, who else installed the Mich PR5's on their 790D?

Note: For anyone, (who by chance didn't know), with the Road 4's, there are a 'GT' model, these are for the ADV's aka much larger and heavier motos.

If they also have these, (GT designation), for the Road 5's, don't put these GT tires on your 790D, go with the regular Road 5's..

·
Registered
415 Posts
Getting back on topic, who else installed the Mich PR5's on their 790D?

Note: For anyone, (who by chance didn't know), with the Road 4's, there are a 'GT' model, these are for the ADV's aka much larger and heavier motos.

If they also have these, (GT designation), for the Road 5's, don't put these GT tires on your 790D, go with the regular Road 5's..
GTs not out yet for the PR5s, well not here anyway J D, My 790 is pure track day and back road weapon, i went for the brilliant S22. I didn't consider PR5s for the 790, but on my heavier sports tourers they were adequate for an impressive 6-8000kms.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'll be trying the road 5s when the maxxis wear out, cannot wait!
Road 5s are very good on the heavier bikes, i have them on the Multi and the GT1290, good tires, 6000Kms out of the fronts, both now toast but the rear still has a few KMs to go. Im fitting Conti Road Attacks next. The PR5s should last and last on the 790.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ride a BMW 1200 RTP for a living and we have been using the Road 4s for a while. We love them and we get great millage out of them. I do not have them on my 790D, but will buy the Road 5 when needed.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well after doing a 2 week South Island ride on the 1290GT with the new Conti's on and loaded with panniers packed i can say with out a doubt the Conti is a far superior tire over the PR5. Heres is a pic after which both tires had done the same milage of between 6000-6500kms, the PR was shagged and feeling terrible for those last few Kms, the Conti still has great shape, feels like new, has better road feel with the single compound, these tires can take a beating where as the PR5 tends to shred its self on a heavy 1290GT. The rears a similar, the PR still has good tread left but is tearing bits of rubber away on the soft compound.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Well after doing a 2 week South Island ride on the 1290GT with the new Conti's on and loaded with panniers packed i can say with out a doubt the Conti is a far superior tire over the PR5. Heres is a pic after which both tires had done the same milage of between 6000-6500kms, the PR was shagged and feeling terrible for those last few Kms, the Conti still has great shape, feels like new, has better road feel with the single compound, these tires can take a beating where as the PR5 tends to shred its self on a heavy 1290GT. The rears a similar, the PR still has good tread left but is tearing bits of rubber away on the soft compound.
Dave, your experience is identical to that of a mate with his 1290. Perhaps the Road 5 GT would be better on the 1290 but it doesn't seem to have been released in NZ yet.

My Bridgestone T31's have now been on the 790 for about 6000 km and are showing little wear. I suspect that the front will go out of shape on the sides before the rear, partially due to all the twisty roads where I live and the amount of countersteering. They're not quite as quick-steering as Road 5's as they don't have the same high crown. However, they're a great all-weather tyre and at this early stage, I'm very happy with them. Got a road trip coming up in February with some mates so I'll do a more detailed update after that.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
The PR5 GT thats just been released sounds like an option Geoff, but the compound stays the same, just the wall thickness is heavier. It may help in the tire caving in under heavy load like the 1290GT puts them under. But i won't go back to any form of PR tire, i didnt like the vague feeling of the PR4, the PR5 was much better with good feed back, but still had that disconnected feel, and i think its down to the very high pressures the PR range need to remain stable. PRs are great tires, just not for me, i demand quite a bit from a front tire. Even on touring bikes where the PR are aimed at. Conti for me from now on. My Multi has Pr5s, same problem, but i just fitted a new PR5 front as the rear has plenty left, wishing now id just changed both out for the Conti,s, but i needed to do a test run on them, they passed with flying colours. The Conti Sport attacks are getting great reviews also.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts