Super Moderator
'09 CBR1000RR
638 Posts

Interesting indeed! Post #147...

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
362 Posts
I like Neeves but don't agree with a few of his comments. Really don't get his comment about not taking the 890 to a track day lol, that makes no sense at all as it's not a race.

Also, the 790/890 isn't a one trick pony in my view. I actually bought it as one but learn't you could easily do some light touring on it, especially the 890 with cruise control.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just watched the video. I’m not sure where he’s coming from when calling the Duke a ‘toy’, either - he basically described the whole naked category before making that judgment.

·
VIP member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm. I thought the review was extremely positive, which is particularly good since he seems to be a large displacement sportbike snob. It’s funny how people can interpret things So differently. Now, I really wonder what he intended.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For those of you with the 890, do you feel the 790's reliability issues have been addressed with this "revision", or is it too soon to tell?

I think the 890 checks all the boxes for me, and it's my top choice as my next bike. However, I've never owned a KTM before, and the reliability issues that Neevesy talks about are definitely top of mind for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 890 is waiting collection Brisbane Australia pick it up Saturday Paid AU$17995.00 ride away no trade in + $820 for track Pack + $149 cruise switch & $230 activation of Cruise, so AU$19200.00 I am happy with the deal.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
As a 790 owner, I can see where Neevsy is coming from but in reality, it comes down to "fitness for purpose" which is different for any rider. I bought mine for fun and advanced roadcraft coaching and it's perfect for that. However, I did a 6 day tour on it in February and it was just fine. I haven't done a track day on it but when I did them on my GSX-S 1000, I didn't care what other bikes were doing around me and I'd imagine most 890 owners would probably feel the same.

·
Registered
'20 890R
48 Posts
For those of you with the 890, do you feel the 790's reliability issues have been addressed with this "revision", or is it too soon to tell?

I think the 890 checks all the boxes for me, and it's my top choice as my next bike. However, I've never owned a KTM before, and the reliability issues that Neevesy talks about are definitely top of mind for me.
Have done 3000 km so far and no issues at all. Feared it was leaking from the counter sprocket seal, but that was just factory grease from the chain the took forever to wear/clean off.

It's also my first KTM. Have been riding a Yamaha MT09 for the past 5 years and a Suzuki SV 650 before that. I'm really impressed by the KTM. The power is where you want it, brakes and suspension spot on and fueling is super smooth compared to other FI bikes I've ridden

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think Neeves has tested one motorcycle too many. He says you would not take an 890 to the track because you are going to get blasted off the track by 600s and 1000s. Really - the latest 600 super sports put out around 105 or so rwhp. I understand the 890 puts out around 115 and has miles more mid range and if anything, might be a bit lighter than a 600 (and better Suspension, albeit the 890 is not as track focussed).

Then he makes a completely dumb comment to the effect that the 890 is a toy and would be no good as someone’s only motorcycle. My 790 is my only day to day road bike. I am going on 70 years of age and have done 600 plus km (400 mile) days on a number of occasions with no problems at all.

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
49 Posts
I have done just shy of 800 miles on my 890 and I genuinely believe this guy's review is realistic.

40mph to 90mph is where the bike really shines, he's right there.

When he talks about it as a 'toy' he's clarifying the handling characteristics of the machine later in the video when he talks about how the KTM is built to go quickly and is somewhat jerky in low speeds. This bike really doesn't like to go under 30mph. It's made to go fast.

He says,
"....although it tolerates low speed riding it just wants to play all the time"
e.g. it's 'toylike'

This is the exact feeling I get from this bike. It's an insane experience riding over the twistier mountain highways around here. I own other bikes if I want to go touring or dirt riding or commuting. Could you do it on the dukes? yes. But it is not built for that. It's built for twisties and it does this exceptionally.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like Neeves but don't agree with a few of his comments. Really don't get his comment about not taking the 890 to a track day lol, that makes no sense at all as it's not a race...
Agree. I generally like him, too - but I don't know what he's talking about there. Not only are track days not races, but the participants are not racers (for the most part). Plenty of people show up on 1000s, but maybe a quarter of them are comfortable enough, and skilled enough, to use their full potential (and there's nothing wrong with that - again, it's a track day). I used to do track days on an Aprilia rs250, and sure, I'd usually get swallowed up on the straights, but it was a blast everywhere else - and that bike didn't have nearly the performance of a Duke 890r.

I think Neeves does a fair bit of racing, and so his point of view is maybe a bit skewed. I've ridden 1000s at the track, and if you really start wicking it up, it's not hard to feel like the bike is more in charge of things than you are - for me, anyway. The main point of a track day is to have fun. I think for most people, if they're honest with themselves, a 790/890 would actually be better for a track day than a 1000. (Honestly, my personal opinion is that a 600 is the perfect track bike.) His saying that, "you wouldn't want to take it to a track day" is a bit absurd.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have done just shy of 800 miles on my 890 and I genuinely believe this guy's review is realistic.

40mph to 90mph is where the bike really shines, he's right there.

When he talks about it as a 'toy' he's clarifying the handling characteristics of the machine later in the video when he talks about how the KTM is built to go quickly and is somewhat jerky in low speeds. This bike really doesn't like to go under 30mph. It's made to go fast.

He says,
"....although it tolerates low speed riding it just wants to play all the time"
e.g. it's 'toylike'

This is the exact feeling I get from this bike. It's an insane experience riding over the twistier mountain highways around here. I own other bikes if I want to go touring or dirt riding or commuting. Could you do it on the dukes? yes. But it is not built for that. It's built for twisties and it does this exceptionally.
I have Five motorcycles (everything from a Norton Commando to a full race bike) but am very happy with my ‘toy’ 790 as my everyday rider.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts