KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, new to the forum.

what do you guys think about the tires on the duke ( for cold weather specifically )? has anyone experienced any slipping sliding ( front) ?

or is it just me?

can anyone recommend better tires ? ( street only)

·
Wish You Were Here
619 Posts
hello, new to the forum.

what do you guys think about the tires on the duke ( for cold weather specifically )? has anyone experienced any slipping sliding ( front) ?

or is it just me?

can anyone recommend better tires ? ( street only)
I am running them on my bike and was out a couple of days ago.

they are not great cold weather tyres

I have already fitted another Maxxis to the rear and will replace both tyres this summer with something better

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am running them on my bike and was out a couple of days ago.

they are not great cold weather tyres

I have already fitted another Maxxis to the rear and will replace both tyres this summer with something better
i have lost confidence in these tires ( as per my other post about oem parts - front end slid and i wiped out ). i think the maxxis would probably be fine in warmer temps but for cooler weather not so much.

pretty sure i am changing tires ASAP

·
Registered
91 Posts
When you went down, how many miles were on the bike? Were the tires scrubbed in well, or still new surface on the edges? We're they warmed up well on that ride before leaning into a corner? What pressure were you running? What was the road surface like? Lots of variables involved. It does suck that this happened to you on your new bike.

I've had no issues with the tires, but I've also not been out below about 50 degrees Fahrenheit

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you went down, how many miles were on the bike? Were the tires scrubbed in well, or still new surface on the edges? We're they warmed up well on that ride before leaning into a corner? What pressure were you running? What was the road surface like? Lots of variables involved. It does suck that this happened to you on your new bike.

I've had no issues with the tires, but I've also not been out below about 50 degrees Fahrenheit
ALL good questions. and all my answers are the wrong answers, here goes :

25 miles on bike, tires were NOT scrubbed in,they were NOT warmed up ( first turn ), i checked pressure AFTER the fact - F 34, R 38

road surface looked fine. temp was about low 40's F.

playing through over and over in my head - totally my fault. i took a short ride the day before ( same conditions- same road) and noticed how light and flickable the bike was .
i guess i got careless and leaned in a little too far.

it happend so fast ( instantly) , i remember initiating the turn ( i was only going 10-15 mph so i was kinda relaxed ), next thing i remember i was on the ground wondering what happened.

i usually don't ride in the winter but it was somewhat warm and excited about the new bike. after fixing the bike i guess i will lower tire pressure 3-4 degrees and scrub them in more.

i have taken this turn ( a block from my house ) with every bike i have owned and never had a problem- so i didn't think anything about it. (the reason i was questioning the tires)
it seems none of you guys seem to have a problem withe tires- it must ( and is ) me.

again i'm pissed at myself for being careless- lesson learned.

·
Wish You Were Here
619 Posts
ALL good questions. and all my answers are the wrong answers, here goes :

25 miles on bike, tires were NOT scrubbed in,they were NOT warmed up ( first turn ), i checked pressure AFTER the fact - F 34, R 38

road surface looked fine. temp was about low 40's F.

playing through over and over in my head - totally my fault. i took a short ride the day before ( same conditions- same road) and noticed how light and flickable the bike was .
i guess i got careless and leaned in a little too far.

it happend so fast ( instantly) , i remember initiating the turn ( i was only going 10-15 mph so i was kinda relaxed ), next thing i remember i was on the ground wondering what happened.

i usually don't ride in the winter but it was somewhat warm and excited about the new bike. after fixing the bike i guess i will lower tire pressure 3-4 degrees and scrub them in more.

i have taken this turn ( a block from my house ) with every bike i have owned and never had a problem- so i didn't think anything about it. (the reason i was questioning the tires)
it seems none of you guys seem to have a problem withe tires- it must ( and is ) me.

again i'm pissed at myself for being careless- lesson learned.
at the end of the day as long as you are ok the bike can be fixed annoying **** YES

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
at the end of the day as long as you are ok the bike can be fixed annoying **** YES
i sprained my ankle, lost some skin on my knee, some holes in my jeans (lol) and some general aches and pains.

not enough to warrant a doctor. i'm hobbling around the house with the wife shaking her head at me. the bike and i will be fine . thanks

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
lost some skin on my knee, some holes in my jeans (lol) and some general aches and pains.
I’m going to be that guy... :surprise:

You said you were only doing 10-15mph, imagine you had been doing 30-40mph, now imagine again doing 60-70mph and it happening, how much skin do you think you’d lose then?

Learn from this and do yourself a favour and get some proper biking jeans please.

Dress for the slide not the ride and all that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m going to be that guy... :surprise:

You said you were only doing 10-15mph, imagine you had been doing 30-40mph, now imagine again doing 60-70mph and it happening, how much skin do you think you’d lose then?

Learn from this and do yourself a favour and get some proper biking jeans please.

Dress for the slide not the ride and all that.
tbh, i don't ride that hard and not that fast - so i i figured i'll deal with with some bumps,bruises and some rash on my legs ( i've always been an ATGATT kind of guy EXCEPT for pants )

i've always been telling myself to get some riding pants - for years !

i am going to fix that now .

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Just following on from previous posts, I've found the OEM Maxxis tyres to be fine in wet conditions provided that air temperatures are still reasonably warm (say 10+ degrees C). It's now winter in NZ and yesterday, I had my first ride in temperatures hovering around the zero mark. Started off in dry conditions but after around 45 minutes, encountered wet roads where some freezing fog had lifted. I wasn't pushing hard but the front end let go on one corner, enough for a bit of butt-clenching but not coming close to dropping it. The air temperature showing on the instrument panel at that stage was +1.5 degrees C. I put it in rain mode after that and backed off a bit more. No more scares although the front felt a bit vague on a couple of occasions.

That doesn't make the OEM tyres poor but it does reinforce the fact that sport tyres have less grip than sport-touring tyres in cold, wet conditions, so I'll be changing them fairly soon. They've done a bit over 3000 km and at best guess, have around 1500 km left at the most. I don't always get to choose what conditions I ride in so it's likely they'll get ditched in the next week or two. I was impressed with the performance of Road 5's on my Gixxer, apart from getting 3 punctures in 4 months and a friend had a similar experience with them on his Super Duke GT. Whether it's pure chance or contributing local conditions, I don't know but now thinking of fitting T31's. They get good reviews and a mate has them on his 'busa. Also had good results with Roadtec 01's on the Gixxer.

The other thing which took me by surprise was that about 40 minutes after I left home, the instrumentation flashed up an ice warning sign. I didn't even know it had that feature and an admittedly quick peruse of the manual this morning didn't reveal anything. Must have a more detailed look.

Cheers,

Geoff

·
A d m i n .
151,146 Posts
Good observations, Geoff.

I've never loved any stock tires that came on my new motorcycles, but at the same time, I'm not shitting on these tires, they work fine for most all conditions. However, I will switch to Michelins, like I've done for every moto I've owned for the past 20 + years because that's what works for me.

You mentioned the Road 5s.. I've had the Road 4's on my ZX-14R, picked up a nail this third season of riding on the same set. Bought a new rear Road 4, keeping the front for the rest of this season. Zero issues with these tires.

When they go, I'll get the Road 5's. Not sure which I'm putting on the 790D yet though, so I look forward to you review of the Road 5's on our motos.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Good observations, Geoff.

I've never loved any stock tires that came on my new motorcycles, but at the same time, I'm not shitting on these tires, they work fine for most all conditions. However, I will switch to Michelins, like I've done for every moto I've owned for the past 20 + years because that's what works for me.

You mentioned the Road 5s.. I've had the Road 4's on my ZX-14R, picked up a nail this third season of riding on the same set. Bought a new rear Road 4, keeping the front for the rest of this season. Zero issues with these tires.

When they go, I'll get the Road 5's. Not sure which I'm putting on the 790D yet though, so I look forward to you review of the Road 5's on our motos.
Thanks Kelevra! I had Road 4's on several bikes and they were particularly good in wet conditions. The front could get a little squirmy under heavy braking or rapid directional changes but it was never off-putting. The Roadtec 01's had an almost identical performance but with less front end squirm. I'll almost certainly go for the T31's but If I do go for the Road 5's, I'll do a review. The 55 profile Road 5's on the Gixxer had a faster turn-in than the 01's as they have a higher crown (pointier profile).

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have around 5500 kms on my Maxxis tires now, and still looks to be a good 2000 kms left. I guess I ride a lot more sedately than I thought I did!! I only ride in the dry, and have found them to be fine for my purposes, but I've hardly been giving them the MotoGP treatment! I have a pair of Pirelli Angel ST's ready to install when the Maxxis are done. I've run 2 sets of these on my Aprilia Shiver, and found them to be a great sport\touring tire. They wear very well and the grip is excellent.

I picked my 790 up in January, and when riding to work one morning in Vancouver, I too got the snowflake on the dash! It was probably around 3 C. I think I did find some reference to it in the manual.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was a little unsure about Chinese tires but i have to say the confidence and feel given from these tires are above expectations, i think they transmit a lot of information about whats going on underneath you really well.
My rear tire has maybe 1mm left of tread after 5600km so if theres something to complain about i guess it would be the range you get out of them.
Been thinking about the Power RS tires for quite a while and yesterday the TPMS system warned me of low rear pressure and saw i had a screw in it (real glad i chose sensors).
So now i have a set of Power RS on the way which should be mighty fun to try. Hoping to at least match the range on it but with way more grip :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Finally got them changed and all i can say is sweet jesus, these tires are on a different level altogether compared to the chinesium tires.
To think i can have that grip and over 50% more range is insane.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pilot Road 5 is worth paying the extra for over the older Road 4, although that is still a very good tyre. Pilot Road 5 is all you need for UK conditions unless you do trackdays. In warmer countries with high temps, maybe Pilot Sport R, I'm in the French Alps, temps often in mid 30's and use these. My 990 SuperDuke R in UK runs the Road 5's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts