KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is the muffler diverter part of the sear rack or the rear rack? If part of the seat rack I may buy it. I already have a KTM rear rack and in order to effectively use it I need to shield the exhaust at the end of the muffler. If Not part of the rear rack does anyone know of a separate shield?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is the muffler diverter part of the sear rack or the rear rack? If part of the seat rack I may buy it. I already have a KTM rear rack and in order to effectively use it I need to shield the exhaust at the end of the muffler. If Not part of the rear rack does anyone know of a separate shield?
A heat shield comes with the SW Motech rack. I too have the KTM rack and could see no way to attach the shield to it, even if the shield were available separately. Fabricating a shield that sits out in the open that would look OK is beyond my capabilities. I used sheet aluminum cut to match the profile of my topcase, painted it black to match and sandwiched it between the rack and the topcase mount. It's not perfect because it is farther from the exhaust, but it lowers the temperature of the topcase to just warm to touch.

Regarding the OP's question, I have trouble understanding his aversion to topcases. A topcase is quicker and easier to remove than just about any bag system, and it is very hard to argue that it looks worse than a bag and mounting straps flapping in the wind. Plus it's a bit more aerodynamic, lockable, waterproof and much easier to clean after a ride in the rain. Since the exhaust precludes useful saddlebags, the weight of your gear going to be up high and an empty topcase doesn't weigh much.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Back in the 1980s there used to be a comic strip in the motor cycle news every week called Topbox Terry. It scarred me for life, After many years I tried one on my tiger 800 but then came to my senses fortunately 😄 In a nutshell they look crap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A heat shield comes with the SW Motech rack. I too have the KTM rack and could see no way to attach the shield to it, even if the shield were available separately. Fabricating a shield that sits out in the open that would look OK is beyond my capabilities......
So the SW luggage rack not SW seat rack, that's what I was afraid of. Wish I'd have bought it instead of the expensive KTM luggage rack now. I really want to do some touring on this bike because I love riding it so much but that muffler pointing up at the sky is really making it difficult for me to use my soft saddle bags and Drybag. I would consider KTM's expensive pannier kit if the mounts were quick removable but I don't believe they are. And I don't want all that hardware on the bike all the time.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Top-Boxes. ime they most certainly screw up handling.
I had a really small one on the R3 just for waterproofs and spare gloves etc. And the R3 is so damn heavy it makes no difference.
But it was no great loss when it started to rattle and I ditched it.

But on any marginally nimble chassis it generates a moment of inertia outside the dynamics of the chassis. The tail starts to wag the dog a bit.
Back when I did distance work on my Guzzi in the '80's I used a topcase but it was where a passenger seat would be.

Anybody who wants JUST a heatshield - Hepco & Becker sell one as an addon for their rack. comes with parts to fit WITHOUT rack.

Fitting Instructions - Look at page 2

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's horses for courses with top boxes. It's a permanent fixture on my GS, with panniers being fitted when I tour, plus a tank bag. I wouldn't consider one for the 790. It's the wrong thing for that bike. A small tank bag is all the luggage I'll use on that one.

I'm lucky enough to have 2 very different bikes and I realise that not everyone can have that choice.

I once saw a Suzuki GSX-R1000 with a top box fitted where the pillion pad would go. It worked for him, but looked a little odd. His bike, his choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello barbagris and all,

I'm in a similar boat - my 790 Duke is the only bike and so must cover all bases - fun rides with mates, commute to work and bimbly sightseeing with the good lady on the back - so I too need to fit a carrier rack and top box. Sorry those adding additional lightweight parts to their Dukes can stop reading now! ;)

I already have a Givi V46N box, so would like to use that - as it's fits my work laptop, lunch and a change of clothes or 2 helmets when we go to 2up.

My girlfriend is quiet tall and doesn't want to have to hunch over to reach the rack which would 'double' as a pillion grab handles. The Givi one - SR7708 - with it's 'angle iron' style plates set low compared to the pillion seat base and close to the exhaust is not looking like an option. Although it is a good price.

The KTM PP 64112927044 - looks much better with it's trellis frame top tube seems to be much higher for grab handles - but it's way more expensive and I don't know if there is a Monokey adapter plate that will allow the Givi 46 box.
This one without the panniers;

So that's the question - has anyone got a Givi box on the KTM Powerparts rear rack? What plate do you use and do you have any pics?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The KTM Powerparts rear rack has a stupidly convoluted surface. My Coocase mount lets me use the front and rear bolts (with about 3/16" of metal beyond the holes) but the middle ones are over a pointlessly missing part of the surface. With so little leeway I was lucky the topcase is in the right place. I could give you the dimensions but it's so complicated the chance of misunderstanding is high. If no one replies with actual experience, I suggest you take your Givi mount into a dealer, show it to them and offer to buy a rack from them if it fits. Chances are they will order one for you to see for yourself. Be prepared to do some additional measuring to make sure the topcase will not wind up too close to the rear seat passenger.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
My girlfriend is quiet tall and doesn't want to have to hunch over to reach the rack which would 'double' as a pillion grab handles. The Givi one - SR7708 - with it's 'angle iron' style plates set low compared to the pillion seat base and close to the exhaust is not looking like an option. Although it is a good price.
What about adding a couple of strap "loop handles"? - Like Kayak carry Handles for example.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks to wil780 and barbagris for the replies. Really appreciate them.
I've gone with the Powerparts one as I came across the a universal monokey mounting plate (E251) which 'should' (famous last words) fit onto the flat plate of the rack, or maybe even remove the KTM plate and mount the Givi plate direct to the threaded bobbins on the KTM rack......as wil780 says,need to check where the front of the top box sits in relation to the pillion seat. But hey ho that's my Christmas presents to myself sorted.

So it will hopefully be;
+
and maybe some new holes and penny washers :sneaky:

(PS Not sure if this is allowed on the forum - got the KTM rack + other KTM PP bits from Tripple D Motorsport as they have a 10% of code (XMAS) at the moment - I'm not connected in any way to the company, this is the 1st time I've shopped with them, I'm not recommending their complete service as I've not received the parts yet etc but I suppose I am promoting the offer so others can save 10% should they wish. Hope this is ok? )

·
Registered
4 Posts
Regarding the OP's question, I have trouble understanding his aversion to topcases. A topcase is quicker and easier to remove than just about any bag system, and it is very hard to argue that it looks worse than a bag and mounting straps flapping in the wind. Plus it's a bit more aerodynamic, lockable, waterproof and much easier to clean after a ride in the rain. Since the exhaust precludes useful saddlebags, the weight of your gear going to be up high and an empty topcase doesn't weigh much.
Im at the other end of the spectrum. Looking for a topcase and optionally a couple of side bags. I usually do a couple of weeks touring each year, ride often with a pillion and for next year im considering doing a bit of remote work on the road. Which means that I need a secure storage for a laptop and an action cam. Soft side bags are perfectly fine as I would only use them when traveling from A to B.
  • I am trying to figure out what is the difference between the rear suspension on the 790 Duke and the Adventure.
    • Or at the very least - what is the maximum luggage load on the duke, including the topcase?
  • How would an aftermarket shock affect the rear load capacity?
  • Considering the 790 adventure can haul a ton of hard luggage, what enables it to do so? I guess a longer wheelbase / wider rake angle?

H&B has this pretty cool rack for the duke: Alurack topcasecarrier – black for KTM 790 Duke (2018-) - 790 Duke (2018-) - KTM - My bike
It can pair up well with various plastic topcases.

Now dont laugh at me, I am not trying to convert the 790 into the adventure, but I want it to be my semi sport-tourer a couple of times a year. I seriously considered the aluminum topcase as well. E.g. their 45L xceed or their xplorer one, it just looks fantastic compared to its plastic counterparts. It weights 1-1.5 kg more than a comparable plastic one, which doesn't sound like much at first. But this might be the difference between a safe ride and a scary wobble. On the other hand, its shape would allow me to more easily fit in stuff like a laptop and a carrying case for a camera + sd cards.

Anyway, I am very much in the market for hard luggage (topcase is a must) and I might end up adding a pair of soft side bags in the mix. Rear shock upgrade will come along, assuming it helps with stability due to the heavier rear.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
  • I am trying to figure out what is the difference between the rear suspension on the 790 Duke and the Adventure.
    • Or at the very least - what is the maximum luggage load on the duke, including the topcase?
  • How would an aftermarket shock affect the rear load capacity?
  • Considering the 790 adventure can haul a ton of hard luggage, what enables it to do so? I guess a longer wheelbase / wider rake angle?
Chassis dynamics apart - bear in mind that the 790ADV has a tubular Steel rear subframe, And the Duke has a cast aluminium one. This affects where and how luggage can be affixed. Material strengths and design affect load capacity. Steel is more forgiving - If you overload it bends - Aluminum will crack.

Most Topcase racks specify MAX load - it's usually not much more than 5KG static load.

And on the 790D all the racks I have seen depend on the shear strength of four M8 bolts - This is not all that great.

Soft luggage (including soft top cases) will absorb some inertial shock (from bumps etc) so you can risk slightly more load. But all load out there on the rear rack is basically on a longish lever.
A LapTop in a rear case - make sure it's VERY well padded and has no spinning disc.

I would ALWAYS choose side cases over a top case. But the issue for the 790D is the almost total lack of right hand side luggage frames. There are loads of side luggage frames for the 790ADV.

One option MIGHT be having a rear shock made up with a heavy load spring if the standard shock will not support both plus luggage. But it's a lot of money for 2 weeks. Are there any suspension guys near you - maybe they can just slot a slightly stiffer spring in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anyway, I am very much in the market for hard luggage (topcase is a must) and I might end up adding a pair of soft side bags in the mix. Rear shock upgrade will come along, assuming it helps with stability due to the heavier rear.
The Canadian KTM website no longer lists the weight limit for the topcase rack. My recollection is that it was quite low - approximately 12 kg. The SW Motech rack was about a kg lower and the H & B limits the topcase to 5 kg of contents. I suspect the issue is not the rack but the rear subframe. My previous sport-touring bike, an FJR, had a similar limitation and there were numerous reports on the forums of subframe cracks when the limit was exceeded.

Unless you plan to put a lot of very light stuff into the topcase, I doubt you will fill a 45l topcase without exceeding the limit. I chose a 35l topcase for the FJR and transferred it to the 790. It carries things I regard as essential for trips (Quick Stand and tools, tire repair kit and inflator, rain gear and cold weather gear). There's space left over but very little extra weight capacity. (For overnight trips my tankback holds my personal stuff. For multi-day trips I plan to add a drybag strapped to the passenger seat.)

The fabric Powerparts saddlebags attach via the same bolts, so I think you should look at how much weight you can put into them and the topcase and compare that to what you need to carry. If you need a 45l topcase I suspect that the best solution would be to use both a seat rack and topcase rack, and fabricate a mount that spreads the weight of the topcase across both. With the right topcase you could strap a drybag to the top for extra volume.

Considering that the bike is rated for carrying a passenger, when you are solo I doubt you can exceed any gross weight or instability limits with any practical amount of luggage. However, if you need to carry a passenger plus a lot of baggage you might have the wrong bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Disclaimer: I do not yet own the 790, this is me planning ahead for early spring.
I am also considering the 890 and the 790 adventure.
  • the former has pegs that are too high and are killing my injured knee, while ..
  • the latter is, I think, far too big for what i'm gonna be using it for most of the time (riding on roads, getting through traffic on my way out of the city); i mean, look at these tires :eek:

Chassis dynamics apart - bear in mind that the 790ADV has a tubular Steel..
Most Topcase racks specify MAX load - it's usually not much more than 5KG static load.
Soft luggage (including soft top cases) will absorb some inertial shock (from bumps etc) so you can risk slightly more load. But all load out there on the rear rack is basically on a longish lever.
Thanks for the insight, especially the part around the frame construction. This totally makes sense. And yea, 4-5kg is perfectly fine. I mostly need a hard case for the peace of mind when traveling and leaving my bike for an hour or two. Or dropping it like a muppet and breaking everything that is in the bag.

I would ALWAYS choose side cases over a top case. But the issue for the 790D is the almost total lack of right hand side luggage frames. There are loads of side luggage frames for the 790ADV.
Yeah, im really unhappy with the limitations around the exhaust. After thinking about it again (this has been in planning for a year now), I will rather drop the saddle bags completely and put a bag on the passenger seat for touring. Almost sounds like the 790 Adventure is the bike for me :C

One option MIGHT be having a rear shock made up with a heavy load spring if the standard shock will not support both plus luggage. But it's a lot of money for 2 weeks. Are there any suspension guys near you - maybe they can just slot a slightly stiffer spring in.
Interesting idea, I might ask around when grabbing my old bike from winter storage. Im also eyeing that ohlins/andreani upgrade, its probably not necessary but if this was about reasonable decisions I wouldn't be doing this to the duke in the first place.

The Canadian KTM website no longer lists the weight limit for the topcase rack. My recollection is that it was quite low - approximately 12 kg. The SW Motech rack was about a kg lower and the H & B limits the topcase to 5 kg of contents.
I want to make sure that im reading this right. Do you mean that the topcase (excluding rack) and the contents should not go above 12kg? With a 6kg topcase this leaves < 6 kg for the contents, so lets say 5 (the limit on H&B). This would be enough in my case.

Unless you plan to put a lot of very light stuff into the topcase, I doubt you will fill a 45l topcase without exceeding the limit.
Its only meant for clothing (light) and action cam / SD cards / portable drive / USB hub, cables (expensive stuff). Oh and my laptop (1.3kg) if I can realize my dream of spending a week on the road and working remotely. The rest, including heavy stuff like tools can be in a bag on the passenger seat. If I add some extra padding at the bottom (laptop and all) this should fill up the rest of the space in the topcase and maybe help with the load a bit.

However, if you need to carry a passenger plus a lot of baggage you might have the wrong bike.
Whenever a passenger is involved I will only carry extra clothes for a day or two max. Honestly, I never had to weight my clothes so I should probably do this in the morning as I have no idea how heavy stuff can get.

So am I crazy and what are my alternatives other than getting a second bike :D

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If I were you - I'd go to a KTM dealer and bounce on the seats of both ADV and Duke. The ADV is not really bigger - the seat is higher, but that may not be an issue. There is an 890ADV next year too!.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I were you - I'd go to a KTM dealer and bounce on the seats of both ADV and Duke. The ADV is not really bigger - the seat is higher, but that may not be an issue. There is an 890ADV next year too!.
Hey barbagris, thanks for the input :) I appreciate it. I thought about the Adventure a bit more, in the end I decided to get the duke. Actually yesterday I went to a dealership nearby and bought a 2020 Duke since it was reduced for the winter. Cant wait till I can pick it up in march :)

My initial idea (from before the explanation why suspension is not all that matters for luggage capacity) was clearly silly and getting a metal case 'for the adventure look' on that one trip in the year is plain **. This is how I will probably do it come summer:
1) No side bags (they use the same mounting points and dont look too great either). A luggage roll on the passenger seat when im solo touring.
2) Plastic topcase
I thought that my current topcase is 48 liters, but after checking out it turned out to be at 'just' 38. So my perception for size was skewed.
This 37L one from H&B will be suitable for my needs (clothing for a day trip; laptop + actioncam and some shirts or pants on a tour).
  • 4.7kg topcase +
  • 3.2kg luggage rack +
  • 4-4.5kg of luggage in the box (mostly clothing so it should dampen somewhat)
Well and thats it. Much more reasonable, not pretty but it should be in line with what KTM has envisioned to be compatible with the bike weight-wise.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So - An update.

I decided this morning to order a full set of Mosko-Moto Luggage. I over ordered with one or two accesories that I may or may not actually need - to avoid having to order again later. And their steel-core straps whilst TOTAL OVERKILL upped the price a bit.

I may need to get inventive and make up a rear lashing setup. We'll see after it all gets here.

R80 plus Nomax tank bag - additional pockets - will have about 100Litres of capacity. More than enough.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts