KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here, gentlemen (and ladies) is my mini-dilemma. I have too many bikes!. Only 3 and that may not seem a lot. But it proves (in my case) to be so. And I really want to reduce - not now, but soon-ish.

Since getting the 790 - it has become my default mount. It's fun, and does cities well. Distance I have yet to REALLY try. Distance for me equates to about 300miles non.stop (fuel excepting). It's closer to a dual-sport now and I love it to bits.

The Pandemia has made me evaluate the rationale of maintaining a big monster tourer (Triumph Rocket 3) for pretty much one annual run to see my dear old mum in the UK. This is basically a two-leg BLAST - Madrid->Santander Ferry Port at a steady 148kph. And then UK Ferry Port to her home in Dorset. (The reverse to come home).

The UK leg depends which port. From Portsmouth all fast dual carriageway - from Plymouth (which I prefer) there is a normal road component with villages and often quite a bit of traffic. Once there I am basically riding in narrow UK country lanes to see friends and family and carry no luggage : and the R3 is not ideal. The R3 is also a real handful on wet greasy ferry decks - one day I will drop it.

Now it occurs to me that although the 790 seems to be a "small bike" the reality is that it is a 100bhp beast and quite able to tour. This illustrated by member on here who are indeed touring on a 790. And will of course be outstanding in the lanes.

A preamble to the point in hand. All the "Distance" bikes I have ever had or configured use HARD luggage. Big cases and usually non removable (because I don't trust). This I would be VERY loathed to do on the 790. I seldom have any luggage high up. I hate top cases and even rear racks as they place the weight where it is least wanted.

That said a LIGHTWEIGHT rear rack I would not object to (too much) as it will keep things from flopping onto the tail Light etc. Racks for the 790 seem all to be easy to fit/remove.

Q: Has anybody seen first hand or used the GIVI 790 Specific rack? - I know all the others. It is just the frames then you fit a top plate. If so feedback appreciated.

Q2: I am particularly taken with the MOSKO MOTO RACKLESS luggage system - seen on the "Mad Max 790". It keeps the weight down and forward. One of the Mosko guys rides a 790ADV and uses the system. It would be nice to have feedback from anybody who has used MOSKO luggage. I know Kriega has a similar system, but after a look at the web it looks less robust.

Q3: Anybody who has toured - How does the 790 fare in severe cross wind with luggage?. Forewarned is forearmed. The R3 is a half tonne brick and very stable.

Yes - maybe I am overthinking this. But as I have aged, I have become really fussy about some stuff. And I know what I need to feel "secure". And I have never been able to travel light. I don't do camping. But I do like to be comfortable when at my destination. My distance work has usually been about the destination more than the journey.

The aim here is to get to the UK remove luggage - have fun (a challenge in itself with the amount of UK traffic) - then refit luggage and come home. I have a few months to plan. If not I see myself flying and getting a small hire car. And that's no fun at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here, gentlemen (and ladies) is my mini-dilemma. I have too many bikes!. Only 3 and that may not seem a lot. But it proves (in my case) to be so. And I really want to reduce - not now, but soon-ish.

Since getting the 790 - it has become my default mount. It's fun, and does cities well. Distance I have yet to REALLY try. Distance for me equates to about 300miles non.stop (fuel excepting). It's closer to a dual-sport now and I love it to bits.

The Pandemia has made me evaluate the rationale of maintaining a big monster tourer (Triumph Rocket 3) for pretty much one annual run to see my dear old mum in the UK. This is basically a two-leg BLAST - Madrid->Santander Ferry Port at a steady 148kph. And then UK Ferry Port to her home in Dorset. (The reverse to come home).

The UK leg depends which port. From Portsmouth all fast dual carriageway - from Plymouth (which I prefer) there is a normal road component with villages and often quite a bit of traffic. Once there I am basically riding in narrow UK country lanes to see friends and family and carry no luggage : and the R3 is not ideal. The R3 is also a real handful on wet greasy ferry decks - one day I will drop it.

Now it occurs to me that although the 790 seems to be a "small bike" the reality is that it is a 100bhp beast and quite able to tour. This illustrated by member on here who are indeed touring on a 790. And will of course be outstanding in the lanes.

A preamble to the point in hand. All the "Distance" bikes I have ever had or configured use HARD luggage. Big cases and usually non removable (because I don't trust). This I would be VERY loathed to do on the 790. I seldom have any luggage high up. I hate top cases and even rear racks as they place the weight where it is least wanted.

That said a LIGHTWEIGHT rear rack I would not object to (too much) as it will keep things from flopping onto the tail Light etc. Racks for the 790 seem all to be easy to fit/remove.

Q: Has anybody seen first hand or used the GIVI 790 Specific rack? - I know all the others. It is just the frames then you fit a top plate. If so feedback appreciated.

Q2: I am particularly taken with the MOSKO MOTO RACKLESS luggage system - seen on the "Mad Max 790". It keeps the weight down and forward. One of the Mosko guys rides a 790ADV and uses the system. It would be nice to have feedback from anybody who has used MOSKO luggage. I know Kriega has a similar system, but after a look at the web it looks less robust.

Q3: Anybody who has toured - How does the 790 fare in severe cross wind with luggage?. Forewarned is forearmed. The R3 is a half tonne brick and very stable.

Yes - maybe I am overthinking this. But as I have aged, I have become really fussy about some stuff. And I know what I need to feel "secure". And I have never been able to travel light. I don't do camping. But I do like to be comfortable when at my destination. My distance work has usually been about the destination more than the journey.

The aim here is to get to the UK remove luggage - have fun (a challenge in itself with the amount of UK traffic) - then refit luggage and come home. I have a few months to plan. If not I see myself flying and getting a small hire car. And that's no fun at all.
I have a 45 litre square givi outfit on my 790 and love it.
Looked at many when I was buying and bought this one, while not overly big and bulky still holds a lot of gear, single key release with a carry handle, I just like it.
It leaves the rear seat free for pillion if I need it and sits over the rear tail light and still looks pretty good. This is the first bike that I haven't bought a tail tidy for.
Haven't had any cross wind issues, bags can be strapped easily to it on the rear seat when we go away for longer trips, keeping more weight forward.
Having said that riding the 790 in the country at speed I seem to catch a lot of wind. Not quite sure why, bike front shape?
Around town I carry a couple of straps under the seat and use the plate as a carrier for small things.
The plate is black, nice quality and looks good on the bike by itself.
Recommend it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would advise again't the Mosko Moto Reckless gear unless you really protect the areas of the bikes it touches. The back of it is quite corse and will easily eat through paint!!

I've owned the Reckless 80, 40 and 10!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Firstly, there is no such thing as too many bikes. It is a well known fact that the perfect number of bikes to own is one more than you currently own. Go and lie down in a darkened room until you have seen the error of your ways.

Secondly, I assume you are visiting East Dorset. There isn't a lot of dual carriageway here in West Dorset and no motorway. A 790 would be a much better bike for Dorset roads than a Rocket 3.

Thirdly, leave some clothes etc at your mum's, then travel light. Tank bag and tail pack. Job done. No need for hard luggage which, imho would spoil the look for a 790 completely.

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
161 Posts
I agree with Bristolsaint, you can't have too many motorcycles.
I think we all would agree the 790 Duke is just about the perfect motorcycle and can take the role of at least a couple of other bikes. One of those being Sport Touring.

I've done a lot of touring in the U.S.. interstate touring is long distance touring no matter how you slice it.
I've put some thought into configuring my 790 for my touring style that includes camping. I've never had hard luggage. I need to be able to pack some clothes, a tent, some booze and a way to make coffee. I also need some room for stuff you pick up along the way.

At first I thought I'll just get some saddlebags to supplement my large collection of tank bags and put a 15-20 liter waterproof duffle bag on top of that. My research showed that the exhaust on the 790 really makes that a questionable choice.

That has brought me to this point. I believe a seat rack in combination with their tail rack would neatly support a 20-30 liter waterproof duffle. That along with a tank bag and you could easily be on the road comfortably for a long time.

Those parts bolt on so they can be removed and replaced easily to maintain the cool 790 shape when you are not touring. I've been eyeing the SW Motech rig but there are others. If anyone has a reason to go with another brand please let me know.

I hope this helps barbagris. Here is a link to the configuration I'm lookin at.
Bottoms Up

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would advise again't the Mosko Moto Reckless gear unless you really protect the areas of the bikes it touches. The back of it is quite corse and will easily eat through paint!!

I've owned the Reckless 80, 40 and 10!
That there is EXACTLY the info I was hoping for. Exactly my concern. May I prevail upon your knowledge a little more. Is it as practical as it looks?
I would go for an R80 if I did go Mosko. On the 790D I would refit the Original pipe for the trip.
But knowing in advance that one NEEDS to protect paint is a great piece of info. It's partially why I am wondering about the Givi side rails.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Firstly, there is no such thing as too many bikes. It is a well known fact that the perfect number of bikes to own is one more than you currently own. Go and lie down in a darkened room until you have seen the error of your ways.

Secondly, I assume you are visiting East Dorset. There isn't a lot of dual carriageway here in West Dorset and no motorway. A 790 would be a much better bike for Dorset roads than a Rocket 3.

Thirdly, leave some clothes etc at your mum's, then travel light. Tank bag and tail pack. Job done. No need for hard luggage which, imho would spoil the look for a 790 completely.
Ah - I see you too believe in the "Dark Room and Think of England" solution.

The R3 is not at home on UK roads. Odd really when you thing about it. On the home runs - it's Honiton To Dorchester that's the PITA (and getting out of ruddy Plymouth). Once I get past Dorchester - I feel as if I am "home" and any "red mist" dissolves.

East-ish Dorset it be m'dere. Wimborne. 'tis wur I wuz done raised. And in my youth in the 70's & 80's was Laverda Montjuic country. A 790D up ZigZag hill nr Shaftsbury will be one of life's pleasures.

I do understand the travel light thing - but in 40 years of 2 wheel travel I simply cannot get the hang of it. God knows why. These days I get a "kick" changing for dinner on the ferry. Well one has to, after all. I try and book POSH (well ok it's SOPH for me). One of the big BUGBEARS has been having to carry a laptop as often as not - and that is one thing I do intend to leave at mum's.

Hard luggage WILL NOT get fitted to the 790. Ever!.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with Bristolsaint, you can't have too many motorcycles.
I find two to be about right. One is not enough.
But 3 is becoming a chore to maintain and use.
It may be my age. I do NOT take my bikes to workshops. And am not YET retired. My back aches more.

I am a bit hung up on seat racks. I like the idea a lot, but somehow cannot convince myself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is what the Kriega system looks like. This is 40 liters total. I use this setup to go camping and for multiday touring trips. Installs on stock seat and when removed there is no sign of a luggage system, so clean lines are maintained. Link below is a "how to", there are some slight modifications required to the underside of the seat.

20201107_161416.jpg 20201107_161427.jpg

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I said Kriega i meant their OS range not the better known US range.

Step 1, I think will be tracking down a cheap (maybe used) set of Givi side plates.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Careful with anything you put on the rear of the bike with the standard exhaust, the heat from the pipe can get hot enough to melt stuff.

There are several options for luggage, SW-Motech and H&B both sell adapters that replace the rear seat, the SW-Motech item replaces the pillion seat pad but leaves the plastic base (best), the H&B item repaces the complete pillion seat and while strong leaves a 50mm gap that allows water into the battery area, they supply a bit of foam that is supposed to close the gap but it is crap, I threw mine away and bought the SW-Motech. With this base I have fitted a Givi mount that allows a Givi pannier to sit on the pillion seat, unfortunately the Givi bag fouls the pillion grab rail which needs to be removed. Mounting a bag on the pillion set works really well because it puts the weight between the axles for minimum effect on handling.

You can fit the larger SW-Motech tank bags if you reverse the mounting under the tank bag.

I also have a single 15 litre left hand side Sysbag fitted, looks a bit odd and not exactly cheap but I was in Covid lockdown so had Government incentive dollars to spend 😁

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate the replies. I'm fully aware of SW-Motech and Hepco&Becker options.
I think over all I prefer the Givi Rack - Can't say quite why, it's a "gut" thing.
My engineering blood/hormones etc.

These photos suggest that the OEM pipe and Mosko are valid companions. I do not think they'd work well with the Wings pipe I usually run.

tbh this was how I discovered Mosko luggage to start with.

It is a crying shame that H&B will simply not recognize the design error. I have my thinking hat on - maybe I can find some thick closed cell foam to fully seal.
My preferred option is source a damaged seat off ebay and make my own base plate. It's hardly Rocket Science. I have time.

Spent most of the morning measuring and searching for a combination that will do what I want. I think I need to be "inventive" (again! - my missus will kill me).

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just as an after thought. Givi have a universal bag tray that will bolt straight onto their side rails - Called the EX2M - For those without tooling - it might provide a good addition on (say) an SW-Motech seat rack.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, I had a look at various luggage systems for my 790 and ended up with the Ventura Aero rally pack.

It comes with the pack rack and once in place, if you have the bag over the rear seat, you also have a rack that you can bungee additional bags or tents too, I believe you can also double up the Ventura packs and have them back to back.

The Aero rally pack expands up to 56L and you can certainly fit a lot of gear in there, being a rectangular shape with a fully opening lid, means access is very good.

As all the luggage is on top of the bike, there are no issues with the exhaust and it can be removed by just releasing a couple of clips.

I did a 9 day tour of Scotland back in September and I was very impressed with it, the bag was stuffed full and I had a tent on the back and I hardly knew it was there, we had a few wet days but everything in the bag stayed dry.

To use the luggage on another bike you would just need the brackets specific to the bike, the rack and bag would then fit straight on.

I did consider the various rackless/bag systems, but the simplicity and neatness of the Ventura won over.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, No problem, unfortunately my mates bike is behind it, but you get a good idea of the luggage, I also had a Givi tank bag which gave me another 15L of handy space.

For info the picture was taken on the way up to Applecross, an amazing road:)

Matt.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Did that road Matt on the Tiger 800, those hairpins are a bit hairy but a cheeky point at the end at that pub 🙂

·
Registered
37 Posts
It certainly was, especially the first bit coming down the other side, didn't realise before we went that it was all singletrack with passing places.

The only brackets are one each side which bolt in where the grab rail usually mounts, you can just see them in the photo, the rack mounts on those and the bag slides over an upright loop on the rack and you have have a couple of straps that hold it on, all very neat.

The Ventura website actually has a video of how it mounts to the 790.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I remember back when Ventura were pretty much the only folk to offer a luggage solution for the early Buell.
Yesterday whilst perusing I found a couple of things That started to help formulate a "solution".

I think :- Givi Side rails (They'll probably get modified a bit): A used complete rear seat (cover torn would do) : A bit of Chamois leather/vinyl/rubber : And some odd bits from the "scraps of metal" bin. Maybe a small toolbox.

I'm reluctant to fit a bigger tankbag than the Givi I currently have on.

I have to say - that I am not "per se" a Givi enthusiast. I do not run to their web (it's a crap web page for a start).
But just about every time I start looking for stuff they seem to have "something" that will do the job.
If I was planning a 20,00 mile trip around the world - maybe not.

Small waterproof rucksack maybe as well. I have loads of rucksacks - High Altitude Trekking (Peru), mountaineering (Africa), hunting and even one designed for bicycles. I also have one of those crossover messenger packs. On the R3 I cant use them as it has a rider backrest. Off to look for my thinking cap.
I'd love a Boblbee pack - but not at their prices. I can get 5 Sherpa's for that price.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts