KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody ever come up with a definitive way to smooth out the 790 at low revs (other than buying an 890!) One that doesn't bring up an error message on the dash, won't cost an arm & a leg and genuinely makes a very noticeable difference (so, not a Booster Plug!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did anybody ever come up with a definitive way to smooth out the 790 at low revs (other than buying an 890!) One that doesn't bring up an error message on the dash, won't cost an arm & a leg and genuinely makes a very noticeable difference (so, not a Booster Plug!)
Yes, no cost solution. Street mode in town, sport mode out of town. Don’t have any problems with smooth running.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The Coober is not really an arm and a leg - but I guess it's still up there as spendy.
One way - also free - is to drop 3 gears and rev higher!.

·
Premium Member
2020 790 Duke
18 Posts
Depends on what you consider an arm and a leg. Rottweiler Performance will program a PC-V If you purchase it from them for zero added cost. I think I saw they offered lifetime updates. I might go that route. Get a pipe and their air intake cover along with a K&N air filter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If Street is not easy enough, try Rain mode in town. That's the stuff.
I never imagined I'd use Rain mode for anything, but I used it for my commute to & from work today, and it is definitely quite a bit smoother than Street in crawling traffic, at very low revs. And when I was able to crank the throttle a bit, I was surprised at just how peppy it gets at higher revs. I assumed it was going to be really tame right across the rev range, but not so! Good enough.

·
Super-Moderator
627 Posts
I got used to riding sport mode and it's pretty smooth for me.

You might want to ride Evans' article about the PCV. Sounds like exactly what you are after.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I average 8000 miles (13,000 km) per year, and I find nothing wrong with the 790. I noticed it initially when I first got the bike, but after a while, either I adjusted my riding or it wasn't a problem.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I average 8000 miles (13,000 km) per year, and I find nothing wrong with the 790. I noticed it initially when I first got the bike, but after a while, either I adjusted my riding or it wasn't a problem.
Same here - I don't have any problem with low revs not being smooth. I usually ride in street mode.

·
Premium Member
KTM 790 Duke
7 Posts
I came from 4 cylinder high revving bikes, I found it a case of getting a feel for the Duke I don't notice it anymore, the only comment is the slack on the throttle could be better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Totally agree. I could never understand what all the discussion was about. In fact, I have a KTM 200 Duke that I take on the back of my motorhome. It has a far more sensitive throttle at low revs and this is a motorcycle primarily intended for
new riders. If they can get used to it, surely 790 owners can as well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can get used to it but it doesn’t make it good... I have multiple bikes and when I go back and forth it really stands out. I even have a SV650 race bike even even noticed I thought that was smoother around the paddock then my 790 is!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts