KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just joined and wanted to post my issue so I can share the results once I get it all worked out.
I had my first service done and now I have about 4,600 miles on my 790 Duke. Today my low oil pressure light kept flickering on and off. After a few miles it stayed on so I pulled over. Didn't see anything immediately wrong. Hoped back on the bike and last few miles home the low pressure oil warning came on and stayed on.
So im scheduled to drop the bike off Wednesday July 3rd. Hopefully I'll get some answers after the holiday weekend. Just thought I'd add the issue and results on here for everyone to know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Make that 3! My 320 mile bike has been back at the dealer with no oil pressure and a coolant leak for the last 2 weeks, still awaiting an outcome

·
A d m i n .
151,134 Posts
Make that 3! My 320 mile bike has been back at the dealer with no oil pressure and a coolant leak for the last 2 weeks, still awaiting an outcome
Greeting Mike! Is yours and '18 or 19?
Do you know where the coolant leak location might be? (As there is a somewhat 'common' issue with this for many).

I'm sorry to hear about your no oil pressure bit. Hope that gets resolved for you. Please keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Many thanks J.D

Mine is a '19 spec bike, the low oil pressure was apparently caused by the filter, this was changed and apparently all is now ok, no mention of why it caused the problem, something I want investigated and an assurance no top end wear has occurred.

The leak was from the top radiator hose and was leaking from within the wall of the hose, kind of in between the layers, so it would seem a manufacturing problem, as opposed to the seating of the hose. The bike is still with the dealer as apparently there is a 2 week lead on the hose.

Got to admit I got a bit pi**ed with the dealer and after a bit of searching found the email address of KTM Austria's MD, filled him in and then all **** broke loose at KTM UK and the dealer and now they seem to be on the case!

Got a loaner at long last, which in my opinion should have been offered straight away, without me having to kick off!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Good on you Mike, however like you said the dealer should’nt need a big prod from KTM to do their job properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. The dealer found the bike was less than a 1/4th of a court low on oil. So they topped it off and the light went away. They tried to charge me for it but I convinced them that wouldn't be in there best interest. Anyways, yesterday the low oil pressure light came back on. They ordered a new switch and I guess we're gonna try that but I'll show them this thread and mention the filter being an issue for some.
I just want the annoying light gone! I can't see any of my **** gauges cause that low oil pressure warning keeps kicking on and off!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another update. Light still comes on after replacing the switch. No pattern or obviously reason why. Bike is back with the dealer now. They are trouble shooting with KTM on the phone. Will update once I have answers in case anyone else ever experiences this problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I'm a little frustrated. I dropped the bike off last Friday morning. The shop had to call KTM all day every day to get a hold of someone to walk them through any other troubleshooting options. I can finally pick the bike up today BUT the issue is still there. KTM suggested changing the oil 4,000 miles early from what the manual suggests. So no solution yet and no help from KTM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update. Changed the oil and all filters as suggested at my cost and I still have the same issue. Calling the dealer today. See what the next step is. All very frustrating. Just want it in proper working order is all. I'm sure eventually I'll get there.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Update. Changed the oil and all filters as suggested at my cost and I still have the same issue. Calling the dealer today. See what the next step is. All very frustrating. Just want it in proper working order is all. I'm sure eventually I'll get there.
Stay with it man. There are always bugs to work out on new models when they release to the masses. Hope they find it soon though!

·
A d m i n .
151,134 Posts
Stay with it man. There are always bugs to work out on new models when they release to the masses. Hope they find it soon though!
They had a year to work out the bugs on the '18 models.
Ducati have a bunch of recalls/issues on their new '18 V4 Panigale, by '19 they had them resolved, (from what I understand).

It's a great moto and all, but KTMUSA customer service is admittedly kinda scary. Sounds like it's no different across the pond? :plain:

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
They had a year to work out the bugs on the '18 models.
Ducati have a bunch of recalls/issues on their new '18 V4 Panigale, by '19 they had them resolved, (from what I understand).

It's a great moto and all, but KTMUSA customer service is admittedly kinda scary. Sounds like it's no different across the pond? :plain:
It is a little scary to think we still have these problems after over 1 million miles of testing prior to release and then a year prior to release in the US. Albeit, it's not major issues across the board, it's really one offs. I think you get that on all models and manufacturers though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Low oil is not a thing to play with, if sensor that's one thing but if truly oil supply issue then I would have great concern for oil starvation to key components and ultimately early engine failure.

Hope they get you fixed up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts