KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I didn't want to post this in the Problems forum because I'm not sure it is. I live in Portland, OR and have been faithfully riding my bike every single chance I can... basically weekends weather permitting. I don't mind a little rain and mostly slick roads this time of year, and temperatures I feel comfortable and have been riding in are around the 40-50F(5-10C) range in the day. When I'm moving I see 3 bars on the temp gauge but when I'm in traffic downtown it hits 4 and the fan will kick in. Pretty normal right... so finally to the point... at stop lights I smell something burning, and I think it's coolant burning... but not sure.

Bike has 1100 miles. First service done on the dot.

Much much more:
I've also replaced the coolant twice myself in dealing with installing some frame sliders. I did have to remove the heat exchanger to fit a new oxgen sensor. For about two weeks I noticed a weeping leak that originated in the bottom of the exchanger, so I tightened that up and that seemed to fix it when I noticed another drop of coolant hanging off further up the engine. I wiped it clean, prayed, and it never came back. This was about 100 miles back.

My impression after 1100 miles:
I miss my Street Triple sometimes, but the Duke is a lot more fun. Suspension could definitely be a lot better on rough roads. It's very tight in those conditions. Otherwise, I'm in love with it. What a fucking blast.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Check your rad hoses, they're known. My left hose was seeping between the layers, onto the oil cooler and exhaust. Warranty took care of it. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check the clamp on the top radiator hose on the radiator. My buddy had a drip from the clamp being slightly loose. My coolant level was way low. I checked the clamp and turned the screw about half a turn, Problem solved. I didn't see it didn't drip because it hits the exhaust manifold and evaporates before it can hit the ground.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the clamp on the top radiator hose on the radiator. My buddy had a drip from the clamp being slightly loose. My coolant level was way low. I checked the clamp and turned the screw about half a turn, Problem solved. I didn't see it didn't drip because it hits the exhaust manifold and evaporates before it can hit the ground.
I've been keeping an eye on the coolant level and it hasn't budged. Still at top of radiator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts