KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey its been a while guys!

But i got a new problem. When i start my bike in the garage the first time of the day it mostely revs realy high and loud ofcourse and then it cuts off the engine. I use the throttle when the motor is not running and the bike doesn't do that anymore. So what do you guys think? A ride by wire fault of something else?

Greetings Seppe

·
Super-Member
631 Posts
Sometimes in the early morning when I start her up, she revs a bit and kicks off. I restart and she is fine. I think it is just the throttle getting the right amount of fuel on first start up. I pay no attention to it other than it's annoying to have to repress the button, especially if I am in the middle of putting in plugs or the lid.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Hey its been a while guys!

But i got a new problem. When i start my bike in the garage the first time of the day it mostely revs realy high and loud ofcourse and then it cuts off the engine. I use the throttle when the motor is not running and the bike doesn't do that anymore. So what do you guys think? A ride by wire fault of something else?

Greetings Seppe
If in warranty - straight to KTM.

·
Registered
2020 Duke 790
9 Posts
I have the same problem but slightly different circumstances. In the morning, in my garage, it starts up just fine. When I leave work 12 hours later, it revs high and then shuts off at least half the time. Started doing this about about 1000 miles. I'm going to bring it in shortly - hopefully it's a quick fix.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Mine does the same but it didn't before it had its 11k service. It had a software upgrade at the same time and I'm wondering whether that has any bearing. It only does it on the first start of the day and not every day. It doesn't actually rev high then cut out, the revs rise and fall (hunting) for a second or two and then it stops. I live 160 km away from the dealer and because it's not really an annoyance, I'm happy with the status quo at present. Something else I've noticed since the 11k service is that the temperature gauge reaches 4 bars and doesn't move from then on. Before the service, it would flick between 3 and 4 depending on ambient temperature and the speed I was riding at. Again, not a big concern but mentally noted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine does the same but it didn't before it had its 11k service. It had a software upgrade at the same time and I'm wondering whether that has any bearing. It only does it on the first start of the day and not every day. It doesn't actually rev high then cut out, the revs rise and fall (hunting) for a second or two and then it stops. I live 160 km away from the dealer and because it's not really an annoyance, I'm happy with the status quo at present. Something else I've noticed since the 11k service is that the temperature gauge reaches 4 bars and doesn't move from then on. Before the service, it would flick between 3 and 4 depending on ambient temperature and the speed I was riding at. Again, not a big concern but mentally noted.

What software version are you showing?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The Software version "shown" is only the Display software version - not the ECU.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Oh boy, the dealer service people roll their eyes when I ask about updates/versions .... "if it runs fine, leave it alone"
Then - imo - you need a new dealer. I am fortunate to have an excellent dealer close.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine does the same but it didn't before it had its 11k service
Geoff, I think that's probably coincidental. My bike's at 15,000 kms, and for no apparent reason, it did the same thing starting from cold, on 3 consecutive days last week. Hasn't done it since.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Geoff, I think that's probably coincidental.........
Mark, I must take proper note of every occurrence. I'm pretty sure it does it every time on a cold start since the service. It doesn't do it again on the same day once it's been started, even though multiple hours might have elapsed. We're just coming out of winter, not that it gets really cold. Don't know whether that has anything to do with it. Will monitor more closely.

·
Registered
156 Posts
We're just coming out of winter, not that it gets really cold. Don't know whether that has anything to do with it.
Yeah, I wondered about ambient temperature too. Obviously here in Vancouver, we're heading the other way (into fall) and it was slightly cooler recently, but certainly not a radical drop in temps - just a few degrees.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is what mine has been doing. It only seems to be getting worse too, revving high and cutting out immediately on the down rev. Luckily I'm heading into the dealership this weekend for my 600 mile maintenance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2020 USA bike used to do this on cold first starts. If you rev it it will stop doing the self revving idle. But after my first service it does not do it any more. So maybe its a software update the dealer needs to do.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I used the bike on Saturday. Ambient temperature was 12 degrees C and on starting, I got the hunting revs and stopping. Restart was perfect as usual. Today, 36 hours later, I decided to experiment. Turned the ignition on, 14 degrees ambient. Waited until fuel system had finished pressurizing, waited a few more seconds, then fully opened the throttle and closed it again. Hit the starter and got a completely clean start with no hunting. As far as I can remember, that hasn't happened for a long time. There are too many variables to draw any conclusions but I'll do a whole load of repeats over the next wee while and perhaps a few variations. I won't report any more until I've built up more data.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hit the starter and got a completely clean start with no hunting.
That's awesome. When I told the dealer about it, they said a little bit of hunting was normal on cold starts, but it should settle down quickly and almost never cut out. So I don't think we should accept other dealer's brushoffs on this.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts