KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's a completely subjective thing. I've owned both, love both. Test ride them for yourself and decide. Scour the forums for both, but draw your own conclusions. You won't go far wrong whichever you decide upon!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Because it's a KTM. I'd rather have an Austrian, quirky, possibly less reliable, built-to-better spec bike than a boring, reliable Yamaha.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
439 Posts
It's 25-30 lbs lighter, which is a huge plus in my book. Plus you can get deals on 2019 models.
STOCK:

- 790 is 3lbs lighter than the MT-09
- MT-09 has 12hp more and massive potential - mine had 119hp after flash/tune/full exhaust.
- 790 has a FULL suite of electronics, the Yamaha has next to none
- both bikes have average suspension at best, and average brake packages
- KTM has a slightly more aggressive ergonomic rider triangle - aka higher pegs, lower bars, higher seat.
- Looks - totally subjective
- Yamaha fuelling is still terrible, KTM I'd say is above average but not Triumph smooth
- Price is slightly more for the KTM but there is a 2 year warranty vs 1 year for the Yamaha
- KTM gets the nod as better track day weapon over the Yamaha.
- Both have PLANKS for stock seat, embarrassing for both manufacturers.

I've owned 2 FZ-09's (now MT's) - an original 2014 and then a 2016 as well as a 2018 Triumph 765 RS before buying my 2019 790 Duke so I believe I have a solid base of knowledge on all three if you'd care to know anything further.

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
439 Posts
Where are you getting your #s?

The problem is, Yamaha quotes a wet weight of 425 lbs. KTM reports dry weight of 372 lbs. So apples and oranges? Well I found a rider magazine review that quotes a Duke wet weight of 411 lbs.

https://ridermagazine.com/2018/10/31/2019-ktm-790-duke-first-ride-review/

So it's 14 lbs lighter, we split the difference :smile_big:
It's a real world 3-4lbs - I can quote 3-4 known publications that confirm and have weighed both bikes. I've weighed both myself.

3-4lbs means nothing of course, same as 3-4hp - nobody will know the difference.

·
A d m i n .
151,133 Posts
Good answers by all.

You throw a leg over both, one will grab you.
Looks are most certainly subjective, you go with what you like better.

I liked the 790D, the moment I threw a leg over mine, yet, I’ll prolly always be a superbike fella, (heavy sigh).

790 is the sweeter ride, although the yammi triple is nice for sure, the 790 is simply more visceral.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts