KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi. Yea I have a problem. My main dealer and ktm UK have been less than helpful, I thought I would check here if there was a better way of talking to someone from ktm before I go to social media.

·
a d m i n .
151,080 Posts
Hi. Yea I have a problem. My main dealer and ktm UK have been less than helpful, I thought I would check here if there was a better way of talking to someone from ktm before I go to social media.
Spill it. KTM execs monitor this forum.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Let rip. And I know a big friggin Yeti on Dartmoor if we need to put the frighteners on!.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. Here goes. Same message has been sent to 3 different customer service contacts at ktm UK and I have as yet had no reply.

Ever since owning the bike the front brake has had a reasonable amount of lever travel. At its service (SP motorcycles, Exeter) I mentioned it to the ktm tech who investigated and bled the brake. He then said this has now highlighted warped front discs which were being masked by air in the system. A warantee claim was submitted for new discs. (as many owners have had I gather), this was denied on the basis discs are a 'Consumable' even though the issue has been there since new and the bike now has only 6000miles on it.
I was also told the tyre was changed and not by a dealer so it may have been damaged then!
I contested this myself with ktm UK and got a generic, 'discs are not covered in the warantee booklet' reply. Then was just blanked after attempting further discussion.

Case CS0264613 closed by ktm.

Since I did not even get any acknowledgement or reply from ktm customer service to my protests, I begrudgingly forked out for new discs as now the brakes had been bled by the dealer, the vibration and low speed grabbing is horrendous. The air in the system was masking runout of the discs. Which had been there since manufacture!

I fitted the new discs only to find the runout was exactly the same.
After much measuring and swapping of discs from either side and different angles it became aparant the discs are fine and the wheel itself is at fault.
Several calls to SP/ktm later I am told they wont warantee the wheel because I fitted the discs myself! I am a degree qualified mechanical engineer by trade for over 15 years and am more than capable of the task. And since I had been told the discs were consumable I did not consider it would affect the warantee.

SP motorcycles said it was obvious I knew what I was talking about but it would be worthless them corroborating the problem as ktm have already refused to consider a warrantee claim on the wheel.

My wheel has now been assessed by a professional machine shop (Davis & Snell Engineering Ltd) to identify what corrections are required. They have reported both disc mounting faces are not machined square to the wheel. (0.10mm out on one side and 0.07mm on the other, measured with the wheel and spindle clocked square), And that the bearing bore is undersize causing the wheel bearing outer races to compress and bind tightening the bearing beyond what normal tolerances should be.
I have photos and videos of this.

Both of these are issues that can no way be caused by changing a tyre or fitting a brake disc however competent or incompetant the installer may be.

Frankly I think it is unnacceptable that a company such as ktm can use this to cop out of their own warantee promises when there is an obvious machining fault on something as important as wheels and brakes.

I have now already had to fork out for new discs I didnt even need and on top of that will likely have to foot the bill for the wheel to be remachined or replaced!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
OMBUDSMAN - Not fit for sale. ?

But just FYI - I have seen the EXACT same issues on a Triumph Tiger. And the new wheel was WORSE!.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
0.1mm does not sound like a lot. But by the time you measure at the edge of the disc it is 0.5mm. I have no doubt that these things happen with all manufacturers.
Its how they are dealt with that matters. The warantee is designed to cover manufacturing faults. It should be pretty simple really. Then I read on here that other owners have had wheels replaced for the same reasons but under instruction from ktm...

·
Super Moderator
1,447 Posts
First, welcome.

There is a lot of info about the KTM 790 brakes. At the OEM for, they are not the greatest but can be made much better with a few tweaks. Pad replacement is probably best bang-for-the-buck on the Duke.

How many miles on the bike before the warping discovered?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has been there since new, it was not as aparant until the brakes were bled. It's got epfa pads in and the bite/power is pretty good, and the new discs are the upgrade/lightweight ones.
They have always had a lot of lever travel caused by air in the system which also masked the runout. Now the lever feels good but the vibration and low speed pulsing is terrible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts