KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just purchased a new 2019 model KTM 790 Duke while the prices are reduced.

We're all in lock down so the the bike is about 25 miles away and getting hold of it is a logistical challenge and even if I do get it here then won't be able to go out..... But will be able to do mods.

I'm a long time motorcyclist, but realistically a commuter, so good at getting through tight spaces but not so much at going round corners at speed!

After a reasonable series of bikes (Honda CG 125 (learner), Suzuki GS500 (first full licence bike), Kawasaki GPZ900R (first dream bike that I crashed on the A1), Yamaha FJ1200 (long term bike which I had for nearly 20 years)), I sold my last bike about 6 years ago and after some degree of boredom purchased an FJR1300 in 2018 with a view to doing a load of touring in 2019. After a bit of a false start this worked out with a 2 week trip to Morocco in April 2019 which was self-organised and 2-up with Michele my wife riding pillion. The Morocco trip went without a mechanical hitch (other than a broken key) and we did all major cities as well as getting over the Atlas mountains towards the Sahara.

In August 2019 did a manic 5 days in Germany with the FJ (which also covers the FJR) owners club where it felt like I'd joined a 'bikers gang' by mistake, most of the people knew each other and we're very skilled at riding (at least relative to me), the first few days were really tough trying to get the FJR round corners (did I mention I'm really just a commuter motorcyclist), the problem wasn't the bike which is phenomenal, but my ability to manage a very big bike on tight bends at speed (or slowly really). Anyway after a few days of twisties I had improved and was enjoying the trip, although I had been relegated to tail-end charlie which was fine by me as I could progress at my own pace without someone behind me in my mirrors. After that experience I did think I'd benefit from something a bit lighter for less big touring trips.

In September was a week run round the North Coast 500 with a friend that has a Triumph Tiger 1050, we had a really good week with reasonable weather, I was able to learn from my friend, watching him corner and again my riding improved over the week. Had a quick go on the Triumph Tiger and it felt very light and upright in comparison the FJR and cornering seemed a breeze, here I'm thinking again about a lighter bike for less heavily loaded touring.

So my mind was set on something lighter weight than the FJR. From the Germany trip one of the guys had an MT-07 which seemed good but their was also a Duke 790, after some googling and watching Youtube videos I liked the Duke 790 with regard to engine size, performance, technology and all round praise. Decision made the interweb showed that currently the 2019 model is being reduced in preparation for the incoming 2020 (or at least looks like it). So managed to find a dealer that's still selling and put down a deposit on a new 2019 bike.

So at this point I've paid a deposit for a bike and am looking at ways of getting it delivered, worst case is it sits at the dealer until the lock down relaxes. In the meantime I'm going to be looking at mods, my starter list is:

* Handlebar End Mirrors

* Heated Grips (can't imagine not having these)

* Radiator Protector

* Tail Tidy?

* Tail bag / luggge?

Is there anything else that's a must?

Few photos:

My FJR1300 in Germany, stunning, great for touring especially 2-up:

Another photo from the Germany trip with the KTM in the foreground, my FJR is in the back right:

FJR at Nurburgring after I've been round following a KTM 790 Duke ridden by an ex-instructor, the KTM in the background isn't his though:

And lastly the dealer has sent me a photo of the bike I will have in my garage in the near future or thereabouts!

Anyway, would appreciate any advice on must have mods for protection, longevity, sensibleness, etc.

Looking forward to getting out and experiencing what looks to be a phenomenal machine.

Thanks.

Richard

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nice to have you on the 790 forum, its a great fun bike, oh and nice introductory write up, cheers. Bar ends and rad guard should be first on the list, get a screen cover to protect against scratches and contaminants marking it. and i look at some protection for the crank case and clutch case covers. The stock tires are ok for spirited riding and general touring, if your more than 80kgs it would benefit the handling of the bike to add 2 clicks on the rare preload, (only adjustment the bike has) other than that once she arrives get out and enjoy. (ps, the Chinese Rad guards are very good quality on eBay)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome @Ricpar - great to have another UK rider join the site, you will love the 790 Duke I am sure!

I ride mine for fun and for commuting - am not a speed demon (too old for that) so not looking to save weight or eek out any more performance so just looked for things to make the bike mine.

The first thing I did was to install a radiator guard and axle sliders (also from SW-Motech) ... then devise an SAE connector solution for power to the handlebars for my phone (I use a QuadLock mount for that).

For luggage as I never carry a passenger I replaced the pillion seat pad with the SW-Motech seat rack and put a Givi tank ring on it so I have an easily removable bad for lunch when I commute to work - post here. Others have used tail bags of various kinds - they all work well, it just depends on how much space you need and how much faff you can put up with on a day-to-day basis.

When cold weather came last year I added some KOBRA handguards and the PP heated grips. The grips are expensive but are so easy to install as you just have to slide off the originals as there are handlebar tubes on both sides (so no cutting of grips) and plug them in behind the headlight.

I also replaced the levers with the PP short ones - these are outrageously expensive but I do like them (good for one/two finger operation), and after @barbagris came up with the idea I added the small sliders to the rear passenger foot pegs - dirt cheap and worth having IMO.

It's all up to you - for me I just rode the bike for a while and then figured out what I wanted to make it suit me better.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Welcome from a wet dreary Spain.

Not everybody will agree with me here. But the instrument cluster on the 790 is exposed and not bulletproof. I would suggest a small fly/bug/grit screen as a MUST HAVE.

If you like the NEKED feel then imo the KTM "large" screen is ideal and not expensive. Worth blacking it out though as otherwise the headlight reflects a bit on the inside.

After a while I opted for something higher still for winter But because I also added bar risers and moved the footrests forward a bit - I am past my "best before" date!.

I have the KTM axle sliders in - cheaper.
The rear footrest sliders.
Cheap bar risers from Amazon 20mm up and 30mm back.
Barkbuster bbz hand guards.
Givi Engine protection
IBIS steel radiator cover.
Grip Puppies
Personally I like the OEM rubber-arm mirrors - but added SW-Motech extender arms.
In the middle of changing footrests - can't get a LH bolt to shift.
WILL be dropping one tooth on the front sprocket (was planned but COVID forced my dealer to close) - more acceleration - less top speed.

Also have COOBER box and WINGS exhaust. Smooths the bike out at lower rpms. Expensive - but I offer it for consideration.

The addon lights are under evaluation - but they may not stay there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm a long time motorcyclist, but realistically a commuter, so good at getting through tight spaces but not so much at going round corners at speed!
This is me haha!

Welcome to the forum, hopefully you get your bike soon. I'm using the excuse of "essential" food shopping for a short ride every few days.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Welcome from a wet dreary Spain.

Not everybody will agree with me here. But the instrument cluster on the 790 is exposed and not bulletproof. I would suggest a small fly/bug/grit screen as a MUST HAVE.

If you like the NEKED feel then imo the KTM "large" screen is ideal and not expensive. Worth blacking it out though as otherwise the headlight reflects a bit on the inside.

After a while I opted for something higher still for winter But because I also added bar risers and moved the footrests forward a bit - I am past my "best before" date!.

I have the KTM axle sliders in - cheaper.
The rear footrest sliders.
Cheap bar risers from Amazon 20mm up and 30mm back.
Barkbuster bbz hand guards.
Givi Engine protection
IBIS steel radiator cover.
Grip Puppies
Personally I like the OEM rubber-arm mirrors - but added SW-Motech extender arms.
In the middle of changing footrests - can't get a LH bolt to shift.
WILL be dropping one tooth on the front sprocket (was planned but COVID forced my dealer to close) - more acceleration - less top speed.

Also have COOBER box and WINGS exhaust. Smooths the bike out at lower rpms. Expensive - but I offer it for consideration.

View attachment 4196

The addon lights are under evaluation - but they may not stay there.
You mounted a light where the slider puck normally goes from the crash bars?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Barbagris-

I agree with you on some type of windscreen (even a tiny one). I did the flyscreen as a start and like it so far. Figure it has to be cleaner air then nothing.

However, even the little tinted flyscreen reflects light from the headlight up along its backside that the rider can see. Not awful but it is there. Only 200 mi on the bike so I'll see how it goes. If I grow tired of it then maybe I'll paint the back side a flat black or gray or something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the excellent feedback. Reading through there's some obvious items I need to add to my list or at least start to think about, as I've not much better to do at the moment:

a. Protection

Some nice looking engine bars that aren't too visually intrusive.

Had to Google the axle sliders as hadn't heard of them and they make sense as well.

b. Electrics

Need to sort out USB power for the mobile come Sat Nav as well as a mount, am assuming the RAM X-Mount is good enough, it's what I use on other bikes.

c. Windscreen

To provide some protection for the TFT, noticed that the guy from Germany had a small smoked screen on his Duke.

d. TFT Screen Protector

Sounds like a sensible idea.

Have been watching more YouTube videos since making the purchase and makes me more eager to get the bike and get out.

Thanks again

Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts