KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
From Thursday in NZ, lockdown has been lifted in terms of being able to get out for a decent ride. The 790 was actually booked in for its 11000 km service a couple of days after lockdown was imposed in March so that didn't happen. My dealer is a 350 km round trip away from home of mainly twisty back roads. You'd think that having ridden for 55 years, I'd be pretty chilled about the prospect of hopping back on the bike but I'm feeling just like a teenager about early Thursday morning 馃槏 . I'll be in cruise mode on the road though, just to top up my roadcraft skills again and keep a lookout for other road users who are probably even worse than their low level in pre-lockdown times. My new EBC HH pads also need bedding in.

Today is a nice cruisy day, making sure that the battery is topped up, lubing the chain, checking tyre pressures and doing all those other little jobs that makes a maintenance day so pleasurable. A nice early celebration. That's what motorcycling and the 790 in particular does for your soul.

Super-Moderator
'20 890R
New Zealand is the envy of the World right now for how you've managed the whole Covid insanity.

Your PM seems to be doing an amazing job, residents appear to have bought into the lockdown protocols, and of course being separated from other countries by a wee bit of water also helps keep incoming infections at bay I'd imagine.

Glad you guys are coming out the other side relatively unscathed and ready to resume some form of normalcy.

Enjoy the 350km's - well deserved!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks YL. I think pretty much everyone bought into the idea of doing it early and hard. The real test is going to be whether the government can sustainably manage the economy coming out of lockdown. I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt at this stage. I hope that Canada and other countries pull through without too much pain but realistically, we're all in the same boat. Being in my 70's and supposedly vulnerable, I'll be avoiding close contact with others for a while. Motorcycling is perfect for that and so is going fishing with my wife!

Registered
We have a group ride organised for Friday Geoff, 10 only of course. Main road north to Tamaranui turn off, head to Tamaranui, gas up the head to Wangamomona via the Forgotten highway for lunch then back roads home. Im picking up the 790 forks tomorrow, may take it, or take the Multistrada or the 1290. I think my only bike thats currently registered is the 54 B.S.A.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
We have a group ride organised for Friday Geoff, 10 only of course. Main road north to Tamaranui turn off, head to Tamaranui, gas up the head to Wangamomona via the Forgotten highway for lunch then back roads home. Im picking up the 790 forks tomorrow, may take it, or take the Multistrada or the 1290. I think my only bike thats currently registered is the 54 B.S.A.
Now that's a nice ride Dave! Forecast is good too. Take care mate and have fun!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
Just got back from my 350 km round trip to have the 11000 km service done after many weeks of not riding. Took about 50 km get my situational awareness and general bike handling back to a level that I was happy with. The dealer was set up for full contact tracing with QR code or sign in, 2 metre separation, sanitiser everywhere, the whole 9 yards. Very organised.

The service cost NZ$314.70 (USD 189, AUD 293, CD 266, GBP 154). As well as the checks listed in the manual for that distance, there was a software update and something which surprised me. This was new frame bolts fitted under warranty. Anyone know anything about this or have I missed reading about it? Couldn't discuss anything directly with the technicians due to the health precautions.

Front Bridgestone T31 tyre is also stuffed after 8500 km, Big flats on the sides, particularly on the rh side (we drive on the left). I could simply replace it as the rear is pretty good but considering the Road Attack 3 pair so I'll decide in the next few days what to do.

Registered
Fitted the Dynoed and revalved Matris fork kits back in the 790, WoW, I'm ecstatic with the 790 front end now. Cleaned up the Multistrada today ready for tomorrows big ride, leaving the 790 home as theres a bit of gravel to cover, but theres a track day at Taupo coming up so 790 is ready to fly with the new front end feel. Gotta say I'm loving this level 2 we are at now (first day) , I'm now back to my biker slut ways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts