KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hmmm.... By maintainer - do you intend to leave it connected all winter etc? - Lithium's respond poorly to been KEPT UP.

They work better if allowed to drain a bit and are then replenished. Over the COVID thing I have been doing so every 2 weeks or so. All the bikes and cars.

·
A d m i n .
151,024 Posts
Hmmm.... By maintainer - do you intend to leave it connected all winter etc? - Lithium's respond poorly to been KEPT UP.

They work better if allowed to drain a bit and are then replenished. Over the COVID thing I have been doing so every 2 weeks or so. All the bikes and cars.
I did read something along those lines as well I didn’t know that before I read it. I suppose I’ll just have to monitor it over the winter months

·
Registered
85 Posts

If its a dedicated LiFe charger it should have a optimal storage voltage.
My experience with Life batteries is that if isolated, they simply don't self discharge at all, so save yourself the electricity and just disconnect it

·
VIP member
458 Posts
A friend of mine smoked his lithium battery the first time he plugged it into a standard battery charger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After some trial and error I found the Antigravity battery fit perfect. No modifications and battery cables are all in the stock position. The battery comes with some feet that plug in the bottom of the battery to get the height correct. The width and length are identical. 4 pounds lighter and has restart technology!
How cold does it get where you are?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m in California so temp are usually mild coldest it get in the winter is low 30s. I’ve never had trouble starting my bikes with Lithium batteries.

·
Registered
174 Posts
After using lithium batteries on all of my motorcycles for over a year , I have some experiences to share.
1. If you ride at least once a week or two for at least an hour, there’s no need to manually maintain the battery. When I connect the battery to the charger, it would take less than 10 minutes to fully charge and balanced the battery.
2. The lithium is so powerful that you can crank the starter 20 times or more without discharging to the point you need to charge the battery. Just go for a short ride to recharge it.
3. The battery management software on my lithium is very smart. It will protect itself from over discharge, over heat, over charge, etc. The brand of my battery also makes lithium batteries for airplanes so I’m very confident of its quality.
4. I will never go back to standard battery. My 1.4 lbs battery produces 330 cranking amps!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts