KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I would like to change my battery with a smaller and lighter one. As far as I understand for that purpose, the battery it must be Lithium-Iron. For me it will be an extra bonus the fact that - I'll have a little more space under the seat. So I can install my gps tracker with antenna pointing up which will give me а more precise, trouble-free and fast positioning. I guess I'll have room for a set of tools too (the basic ones plus a tire repair kit)

If some of you already have experience with this, please share: Manufacturer, model, size, etc..

For now, I've come to this:
Shorai LFX19A4-BS12 (12V, 19Ah, Cold Cranking 285), Dimension 88 x 86 x 148 mm (height x width x length), Weight 1048g...but there are many other alternatives.

Unfortunately in my country such batteries for my bike are not available and I will have to order online. That is why I would be happy to explore the options and hear your opinion on the subject before I proceed with the order.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Hi guys,

I would like to change my battery with a smaller and lighter one. As far as I understand for that purpose, the battery it must be Lithium-Iron. For me it will be an extra bonus the fact that - I'll have a little more space under the seat. So I can install my gps tracker with antenna pointing up which will give me а more precise, trouble-free and fast positioning. I guess I'll have room for a set of tools too (the basic ones plus a tire repair kit)

If some of you already have experience with this, please share: Manufacturer, model, size, etc..

For now, I've come to this:
Shorai LFX19A4-BS12 (12V, 19Ah, Cold Cranking 285), Dimension 88 x 86 x 148 mm (height x width x length), Weight 1048g...but there are many other alternatives.

Unfortunately in my country such batteries for my bike are not available and I will have to order online. That is why I would be happy to explore the options and hear your opinion on the subject before I proceed with the order.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
How is your German - It might be worth talking with i-tecc in Germany. https://www.i-tecc.de/shop/ and especially https://www.i-tecc.de/shop/lifepo4-batterien/starterbatterien/

In general batteries using A123 tech are as good as it gets. I have an 8aH battery - and it puts out 560Amps. You can weld using it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes I believe it is, I had it on my first 790 and removed and fitted to my second one, 5k miles no issues whatsoever.
Hi,

Very much interested in a Shido one.
For the 790, is it a 10bs or 12bs recommended? I thought 10.

Also, any check on the weight saving you achieved?
Very tempted, only thing is temperature management. In summer where I am, 45*, you add a couple of track time and the battery temp. may well touch the 50+ ...

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I had a KTM 990SMT, I put a Shorai in it and it would not start in the severe cold. When it was below freezing, no dice. I know they say it needs to 'warm up" by trying several cycles, but not the truth. When I had to have a wrecker come tow it home from work, I sold it off and put a normal battery back in there.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
When I had a KTM 990SMT, I put a Shorai in it and it would not start in the severe cold. When it was below freezing, no dice. I know they say it needs to 'warm up" by trying several cycles, but not the truth. When I had to have a wrecker come tow it home from work, I sold it off and put a normal battery back in there.
The "warm up" thing does work. BUT the point is that it cannot on a 790 because there is nothing to load the battery - except the starter and that is also different on new KTM's.

I have been using (even making) LiFePO4 starter batteries for a long time. ime the best allround solution is leave the AGM in and carry a small LiFePO4 booster pack inside your jacket for REALLY cold starts.

This btw is a 12V - 16aH with a burst amperage of 1120Amps

Attachments

·
a d m i n .
151,000 Posts
The new Honda I’m looking to buy has a Li battery, I wasn’t aware about How the cold affects it, good info!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The new Honda I’m looking to buy has a Li battery, I wasn’t aware about How the cold affects it, good info!
Just get a small "booster" and keep it in an inside pocket (warm).

I find that the only time I get an issue is when I leave the bike INSIDE my mum's garage. It's old and damp and is very often colder than the ambient temps (esp if it rains). My garage here is not heated - but never had an issue. But even in the UK - once it starts and has run it will take hours and hours to cool down to where it's fussy again.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My Battery is a Skyrich Lithium HJTX14H-FP

https://www.speedway.fr/193122-batterie-skyrich-lithium-hjtx14h-fp.html

My return after 10 months of use on the svartpilen and on the Duke 790 is that it is lighter -2kg. It delivers more juice at start-up, clearly easier start-up. With the exception of winter because if it does not discharge during periods of non-use, getting started when it is very cold is difficult. Below 0 ° C pull the starter 4 times. Unlike an acid battery where the more you try the less it works, with the lithium battery each stroke of the starter and more powerful than the one before

·
Registered
41 Posts
The cold startability is not really what bothers me in New Delhi 😁

Will the battery charge, and not be too hot in summer, causing electrical issues is more the concern.
and looking at sensitivity of the Immobilizer or QS I am reading here and there, wonder if worth the shot 🤔

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The cold startability is not really what bothers me in New Delhi
Will the battery charge, and not be too hot in summer, causing electrical issues is more the concern.
and looking at sensitivity of the Immobilizer or QS I am reading here and there, wonder if worth the shot
Whilst Spain is not as hot as New Delhi, it does get hot here in summer.

On bikes where the battery is surrounded by things like oil tanks and has no airflow - then I find that any lead acid battery - including sealed, AGM and Gel will dry out. So far I have never had any such issues with LiFePO4.

If it were me - I'd leave the Original battery in until it gives up. Then you'll have some idea of whether an AGM is alright for you there. If it lasts more than a couple of years - then unless you really think 2KG will make a difference to the fun then I'd stick with it for now.

If you buy Lithium - make sure it has a proper BMS system with under and overcharge protection. This will make sure you do not get voltage misdemeanors. The good BMS systems ARE EXPENSIVE and it puts folk off. A good Li will easily cost 3 times the cost of an AGM. And could even hit 4 times.

My Rocket III runs on LiFePO4 with BMS. When the KTM's battery dies - It will most likely go LiFePO4. My old Guzzi is back on AGM - but because I had to rebuild the alternator with a race unit and was advised to use AGM until we have the voltages stable and controlled. It uses a 5 step timed controller - designed for Li but the mfr knows his stuff, so.......

I have to admit at being remiss in not having properly measured my 790 voltage with a GOOD voltmeter.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
552 Posts
2kg savings huh - pretty substantial..

I'm with Barbagris - if/when the OEM battery gives up I'll likely spring for one of these - until then the bike is already super agile so it would just be a bonus to drop another 4.4lbs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here's something I wrote about lithium batteries. Note how to use them in cold weather.

https://www.motorcycle.com/products/lithium-motorcycle-batteries-myths-vs-realities
And update to my story after I remembered some more details. Standing in a parking lot, 20F degrees, after my 990 SMT had cold soaked all day. Nothing I could do would "warm up" the battery. I tried the lights, I tried my Gerbings heated jacket, gloves, and heated grips. Tried cranking it. Tried push starting it and popping the clutch while hitting the starter. Nothing. After I was frozen, I took the bus home (with a Aerostich Roadcrafter suit and helmet in hand), then went back after hours with my trailer to scoop it up and take it home. No 2kg weight savings is worth that grief. I put a new OEM style battery in and no issues in sub zero temps.

Maybe in temperate climates.

·
Registered
107 Posts
And update to my story after I remembered some more details. Standing in a parking lot, 20F degrees, after my 990 SMT had cold soaked all day. Nothing I could do would "warm up" the battery. I tried the lights, I tried my Gerbings heated jacket, gloves, and heated grips. Tried cranking it. Tried push starting it and popping the clutch while hitting the starter. Nothing. After I was frozen, I took the bus home (with a Aerostich Roadcrafter suit and helmet in hand), then went back after hours with my trailer to scoop it up and take it home. No 2kg weight savings is worth that grief. I put a new OEM style battery in and no issues in sub zero temps.

Maybe in temperate climates.

I agree, lithium battery is ideal for those who live in a temperate region.
Or those who do not use their motorcycle when it is cold, and it is even there that it is best because it discharges much slower than a battery with acid.
I ride my motorcycle from March to December.each year. I dont use the bike between 2 and 4 months and with the lithium battery it is always ready to go ... If the temperature is above 0°c :grin:

·
Registered
53 Posts
After some trial and error I found the Antigravity battery fit perfect. No modifications and battery cables are all in the stock position. The battery comes with some feet that plug in the bottom of the battery to get the height correct. The width and length are identical. 4 pounds lighter and has restart technology!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts