1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the tires off earlier today, should have put them on the scale.

Considered lighter wheels as well, though the bike does turn exceptionally well. I dig the Core Moto Apex-6's but they don't currently offer a fitment for KTM, perhaps Luke would consider making some if there was a demand.

A group buy would probably be a good motivator.

https://www.coremoto.com/Apex_6_forged_wheel_by_More_Moto_USA_p/rsv42a6.htm

·
VIP member
402 Posts
If you want to get lighter wheels but can’t afford the expense of forged ones, consider replacing the stock discs with the PP Galfer waves. On the front, you’ll save 1.5 lb per disc! I don’t know the diff in the rear, but it won’t be as much.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you want to get lighter wheels but can’t afford the expense of forged ones, consider replacing the stock discs with the PP Galfer waves. On the front, you’ll save 1.5 lb per disc! I don’t know the diff in the rear, but it won’t be as much.

Just a thought.
A pound and a half per?

I'm a bit dubious but if it's true I'm definitely on board.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
I have done this before on a 1000cc bike, as I am sure a lot of you guys did. It was well worth the investment. The difference was night and day, especially because the whole package was not as quick steering as the KTM (but what is?).

The 790 has very quick steering bike to begin with. If I wanted to lighten the steering more, I would look into lighter and/or faster steering set of tires (have good experience with Dunlop Q's but not on the 790) and probably for other ways to lighten the rotating mass of front wheel assembly, such as lighter discs as suggested by my esteemed colleague, above. I like the Galfer products and had very good experience with them in the past (both discs and pads).

If I wanted to spend ~$3,000 on the bike (over 25% of its new value) I would put it in braking (going with the Galfer discs will probably serve both goals -- braking AND lighter steering -- well), suspension and maybe pipe and remapping. Would cost about the same as a set of lighter wheels. That said, I completely understand that different riders have different priorities when it comes to performance and looks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I will be spending money on some Brembo brakes before I change the discs.
It’s the only thing that annoys me about the bike is the standard brakes, they adequate but I what better, I want Brembo’s.

·
A d m i n .
151,127 Posts
It would be interesting to know how much lighter the Dymags are vs the stock 790D wheels. I'm sure lighter weight rotors will make a difference in less rotating mass/quicker turn-ins.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It would be interesting to know how much lighter the Dymags are vs the stock 790D wheels. I'm sure lighter weight rotors will make a difference in less rotating mass/quicker turn-ins.
Doesn’t help a lot but when my rear wheel was out it weighed around 9kilo with disc no tyre.
The reason we weighed it was because it felt so heavy.

·
Top Speed guru
70 Posts
It may have already been posted elsewhere, but has anybody measured the weight difference between the stock front rotors and the PP Wavy Disc Rotors? Curious if it is significant. Rotating mass can be meaningful. Please chime in!

·
A d m i n .
151,127 Posts
I got that number from the folks at Rottweiler. Next month, I’ll be installing the PP discs and will verify.
It may have already been posted elsewhere, but has anybody measured the weight difference between the stock front rotors and the PP Wavy Disc Rotors? Curious if it is significant. Rotating mass can be meaningful. Please chime in!
I moved your post here, Rocky. :smile:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday but I didn't have a chance to mess with them. I'll pull the stockers tonight and post up some weights.

·
Top Speed guru
70 Posts
Brake Rotor Weight

Mine arrived yesterday but I didn't have a chance to mess with them. I'll pull the stockers tonight and post up some weights.
Thank you. Very curious the real savings. If it really does turn out to be around 3 lbs total that's significant...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts