KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Thought I would share my experience here. Just got the Leo Vince LV One Evo in carbon as a black friday special from the manufacturer. It shipped directly from AF1 racing in the US.

Got it all mounted up and after a quick test ride around the house, everything looked to be fine.

Did my first canyon ride this weekend and 100 miles of twisties. Got home and noticed the heel of my right boot was totally melted by the link pipe.

The heat shield is way smaller than it needed to be when riding on the balls of your feet. I guess that's why the OEM can had so much protection.

Luckily, the sidi boots have have replaceable heel cups and the damage to the rest of the boot was minor...the only issue now is no heel cups available due to production issues in Italy. Ohh well...I guess it will be some time figuring out what to do about the exhaust until then. Either trying to fab up some sort of additional guard or scrap the whole thing and go to Wings. Wings looks to have a much bigger heat shield.

Really disappointed, as the other LV products I've had in the past all worked out great. For what it's worth, it sounds good and runs cool, but terrible link pipe / heat shield design.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had similar issue with a black widow can, but noticed before I rode it. Try twisting the link pipe down a bit, this will move it in and away from your foot and put the guard in a better position.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had similar issue with a black widow can, but noticed before I rode it. Try twisting the link pipe down a bit, this will move it in and away from your foot and put the guard in a better position.
Thanks for the tip. I tried rotating it, but pretty limited because the pipe is not round and hanger strap is matched to the shape of the pipe... pretty quickly I got out of plane with the mounting point on the rear sub frame. This is a tough geometry problem!

Looking at leo vince's website, I noticed that the pictures show the demo bike equipped with the powerparts rear sets that are further back and higher, with a different carbon heel guard that almost meets up with the heat shield on the link pipe. I'm guessing that's how LV did the design.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wow bet you were upset when you discovered this. That is a problem with the long cans compared to shorter one like sc1 I have. The pipe is more tucked in and at angle because the can is short and at angle. You might put rear set on and move foot position higher which may bring the protection shield into area and block boot

·
Registered
115 Posts
The shield looks to hight could you move it lower with a pipe rotation ? I saw on the web that it was not a lot lower on others pictures...

the protection on my Ixrace is really lower

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
156 Posts
Man, that sucks, sorry about your boot/pipe.
I bet it would not be hard to make a larger shield of aluminum or have one made at a car or off road vehicle mod shop.
Aluminum is beautiful and it is the wonder material of the 1950's!
Bottoms Up!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting...I originally titled this post "Leo Vince LV One Evo...total disaster". I'm guessing the admins thought "Leo Vince LV One Evo, burned my booty" would be more interesting for a title...Or maybe Leo Vince is an advertiser.

Man, that sucks, sorry about your boot/pipe.
I bet it would not be hard to make a larger shield of aluminum or have one made at a car or off road vehicle mod shop.
Aluminum is beautiful and it is the wonder material of the 1950's!
Bottoms Up!
Good thought. I think SW-Motech might already have me covered with their header pipe guard (link follows) . The Leo Vince link pipe is 50mm diameter. Any opinions out there?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Though might be if LV is not going to fix for you would be better to find good all material welder and move the LV shield down on pipe and weld up to original hole or buy another of same guard and add below the current one. Understand your direction with sw mototech thing but it's going to take away from the LV design and look IMHO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the SW Motech header guard, but backordered 3-4 weeks. I

n the meantime I found a generic 4" heat shield on Amazon - looks like a low quality Arkro knockoff, but it was under $20 and should get here in a couple days. I'll try that for a bit and see how it does. More fun to come - I'm sure it will take a bit of tweeking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts