KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

161 - 180 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
end up getting it working?

which integrated tail did you purchase?
Hell no! Bought a cheap set of front signals on Amazon w/resistors and they didn't work either. I am not going to splice into the head unit wiring to install a diode so I just shortened the stock front signals for now. I mounted my tag to the bottom of the stock undertail so my tail tidy is custom from an ebay off-road plastic fender w/led brake light w/integrated signals. I didn't get the first one centered too well so I got a second one that I will get "just right".

·
Registered
149 Posts
Finally got my KTM (Euro) LED signals installed and had the dealership enable the LED mode. Simply install, enable LED mode, and done! Signals work like a charm.

Highly recommended for those that don't want to have to deal with doing a custom setup. (However, probably not the cheapest route though.)

View attachment 4770
View attachment 4771
View attachment 4772
View attachment 4773
Is those euro led have the rubber neck like stuck flashers ?
I have led from eBay that look similar to your but they are made out of stiff plastic so they can brake if hit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this, but I thought I would add my experience if it helps anyone.

I have my bike working now with Motogadget M Blaze Pin turn signals.

I just did the math on mine to find the desired resistance and it worked fine. Here is how I arrived at the right size resistor to cover the differential between the original bulbs and the Motogadget Pins.

Stock Bulbs = 10W each (20w total) per side
Motogadget Pins = .4 amps measured @13v for 2 in parallel, so 5.2w total per side.

The KTM runs at 14.5 volts so I did this formula based off that since it will affect the resistor size:

R = U*U / (P old - P new)
R = 14.5*14.5 / (20 - 5.2)
R = 210.25 / 14.8
R = 14.2

So... 14.2 ohms is what's needed in theory.

I purchased 15ohm x 50 watt (50 watts so I could be at roughly 30% of current rating for the sake of heat and longevity). One resistor for each side should work perfect.

These are what I purchased:
HLin 5Pcs 50W 15 OHM Aluminum Housed Wire Wound Resistor Gold Tone: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I did a test today and they work perfect, right flashing rate, and no ugly error.

Hopes this helps future generations out. You can apply that formula to any variables and you should get the right result if you have your data right.
Sorry for resurrecting this, but thank you for resurrecting that: I’m about to try the m.blaze pins myself -thank you!

Do you know if there’s any way to incorporate the mo.wave Is it as simple as removing a relay and subbing this, or what are the additional obstacles?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting this, but thank you for resurrecting that: I’m about to try the m.blaze pins myself -thank you!

Do you know if there’s any way to incorporate the mo.wave Is it as simple as removing a relay and subbing this, or what are the additional obstacles?
I went the same route using both mblaze pins front and rear using 2 resistors in the rear 50w 15ohm as mentioned. Thanks @Zack Ebel

·
Registered
22 Posts
I want small LEDs in the front, but OK with keeping the stock bulbs in the rear.

I wired up 20 ohm resistors in parallel in the front, but still get the "Indicator Lamp" error on the dash, and the front LEDs don't work; the rears still blink fine.

The new circuit with the 20ohm resister tests at 1.8ohm total, just like the OEM bulb signals.

Any other suggestions? Should I go with the 15ohm resistor mentioned above?

Have folks had success with mixing LED in front and bulb in the back? My ECU is still set for stock turn signals BTW.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I want small LEDs in the front, but OK with keeping the stock bulbs in the rear.

I wired up 20 ohm resistors in parallel in the front, but still get the "Indicator Lamp" error on the dash, and the front LEDs don't work; the rears still blink fine.

The new circuit with the 20ohm resister tests at 1.8ohm total, just like the OEM bulb signals.

Any other suggestions? Should I go with the 15ohm resistor mentioned above?

Have folks had success with mixing LED in front and bulb in the back? My ECU is still set for stock turn signals BTW.
Regarding mixing - i had a set of motogadget pins in the rear and front stock - experimenting. Wired in as mentioned above, 2 resistors in the rear > while bike was off no error. When running i get error. Once i completed the front with led all worked fine.

Double check your wiring, perhaps you have your positive and neg wrong?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Whew... SUCCESS FINALLY!!!

This was way more complicated than it needed to be. Turn signal swap outs are usually 10 minute jobs on older bikes with traditional relays.

On my bike, the front wiring was BLK/Brown right side, Dark Purple/Brown left side. I incorrectly assumed that BLK was ground (like conventional wiring!!!). KTM in their questionable wisdom chose Brown to be ground.

I swapped polarity, and voila everything works! LEDs in front, bulbs in back are OK combination, no error messages

·
Registered
22 Posts
BTW I ordered these off of eBay for only $7. They have a blue LED on the back side, so you know when your turn signals are still flashing

10W 20 ohm resistors off of Amazon did the job. I've got enough to work on 5 other bikes now...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great thread. Switching to LED's should be this complicated.

I bought some Chinese knock off LED's off Amazon. Trying to figure out how many resistors and where.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ask my dealership to enable “led mode” as I was getting my first service done on my US 2020 but they were not able to enable it. They said they couldn’t do it until I had the led lights install first and then come back. So bummed. I did get discount on my service so not too bummed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well Dukers...I’ve done it. My Rizoma Corsas front/rear are FINALLY operating correctly. I’ve been living with the dash error for months, I cannot tell you how happy I am right now. Such a small victory but oh so satisfying.

Part list:
Rizoma Corsa S (rear) - shipped with MNNTHBX tail tidy
Rizoma Corsa (front)
Rizoma ‘turn signal cable kit’ (EE164H) - 1 pair
R&G resistors - 21.5 Ohm (RGR0002) - 1 pair

Installation:
  • R&G resistors in the rear
  • Rizoma cable kit (adapter/resistor) in the front
That’s it. When you are ‘testing’ make sure your bike is actually started/running. Without the bike started, there will be the dash error and as soon as you fire her up, it goes away.

Side-notes;
I bought 2 pairs of the Rizoma cable kits (4 adapters/resistors in total) which gave me a very odd result when trying to use them in both the front/rear. The amber light on the rear was always on. It blinked correctly when I turned the indicator on and no dash error but both the right/left were always on. I touched the small adapter/resistor and holy crap was it hot!!! I would have to imagine if I left it that way, there could have been some issue under the rear cover.

Hope this helps some of you that invested in Rizomas.

I am going to attempt this exact set up on my 890 Duke R next week when my resistors arrive. Fingers crossed things will go smooth.

"the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese" lol!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's another data point - I have a Euro spec 890 (stock LED signals) and swapped out the stock LEDs for some Koso Infinity and Koso Mars at the front and rear. They blink fine but I get the dash error message. I added a 15 Ohm 25 W resistor on each side in parallel but still get the error message. Anyone else with a Euro spec bike who had had a successful aftermarket signal installation? I am wondering if I should try switching off LED mode?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I installed the MNNTHBX fender kit and a pair of Rizoma Corsa single function turn signals up front.

As instructed by JJHelka:

Rizoma Turn Signal cable kit EE164H installed on front
R&G Resistor Kit RGR0002 (21.5 ohm) resistor kit in the rear

Install took me 2-3 hours but I took steps to double check and verify before making permanent connections and that took extra time.

The front turn signals were pretty simple. The Rizoma cable kit makes these truly plug and play. Plenty of room to stuff the additional wiring behind the cover. I may go back in and modify the turn signal mount as it doesnt look as nice as I would like. It goes from a big chunky mount to a slim indicator. Im gonna see if someone offers a nicer mount option other than retaining the OEM one.

The rears took some time to double check the correct wiring and then make permanent soldered and heat shrink connections. I highly recommend ordering a new rear light harness from KTM for about $30. This way you can retain the full stock setup if you ever need to revert back to stock.

The posi-lock connectors offered by MNNTHBX are a joke and I couldnt even figure out how to make them work. Dont spend the extra $7 on them. I used heat shrink connectors that when heated, release solder directly onto the wires as the heat shrink seals everything together. https://www.amazon.com/140-Solder-Seal-Wire-Connectors/dp/B07JJ6YYKL

Pay attention to the Rizoma instructions as it will tell you which wire is positive (green) and which is negative (black) to wire into the resistor for the turn signals. Then use the MNNTHBX web instructions for the taillight wiring. I did not wire the plate light as I will be modifying the bracket to tuck the license plate up under the subframe for a more streamlined look. (may not be legal but my last 3 motorcycles were mounted the same).

There are 3 ground wires from the factory harness. One each goes to the turn signal wires, the 3rd was a part of the taillight wiring and is not needed. Red wires from lights get connected to the white wire from bike harness, white wires from lights get connected to yellow wire from harness.

Before you start making permanent connections, slide the rubber grommet over the signal wiring down towards the mounting base. Otherwise, you will have to figure out how to get the whole wiring harness through that little rubber hole.

I used small gator clips to make test connections before installing the solder/heat shrink. When I hooked up the rear with OEM front signals, I got an error message. When I hooked up front and rear, everything worked as it should!

So I can confirm that this exact setup and install will work for US Spec 890 Duke R.
mnnthbx.jpg

·
Registered
2020 KTM 790 Duke, 2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 (Sold/LEMON), 2018 Ninja 400 (1st Bike!/Sold)
3 Posts
I installed the MNNTHBX fender kit and a pair of Rizoma Corsa single function turn signals up front.

As instructed by JJHelka:

Rizoma Turn Signal cable kit EE164H installed on front
R&G Resistor Kit RGR0002 (21.5 ohm) resistor kit in the rear

Install took me 2-3 hours but I took steps to double check and verify before making permanent connections and that took extra time.

The front turn signals were pretty simple. The Rizoma cable kit makes these truly plug and play. Plenty of room to stuff the additional wiring behind the cover. I may go back in and modify the turn signal mount as it doesnt look as nice as I would like. It goes from a big chunky mount to a slim indicator. Im gonna see if someone offers a nicer mount option other than retaining the OEM one.

The rears took some time to double check the correct wiring and then make permanent soldered and heat shrink connections. I highly recommend ordering a new rear light harness from KTM for about $30. This way you can retain the full stock setup if you ever need to revert back to stock.

The posi-lock connectors offered by MNNTHBX are a joke and I couldnt even figure out how to make them work. Dont spend the extra $7 on them. I used heat shrink connectors that when heated, release solder directly onto the wires as the heat shrink seals everything together. https://www.amazon.com/140-Solder-Seal-Wire-Connectors/dp/B07JJ6YYKL

Pay attention to the Rizoma instructions as it will tell you which wire is positive (green) and which is negative (black) to wire into the resistor for the turn signals. Then use the MNNTHBX web instructions for the taillight wiring. I did not wire the plate light as I will be modifying the bracket to tuck the license plate up under the subframe for a more streamlined look. (may not be legal but my last 3 motorcycles were mounted the same).

There are 3 ground wires from the factory harness. One each goes to the turn signal wires, the 3rd was a part of the taillight wiring and is not needed. Red wires from lights get connected to the white wire from bike harness, white wires from lights get connected to yellow wire from harness.

Before you start making permanent connections, slide the rubber grommet over the signal wiring down towards the mounting base. Otherwise, you will have to figure out how to get the whole wiring harness through that little rubber hole.

I used small gator clips to make test connections before installing the solder/heat shrink. When I hooked up the rear with OEM front signals, I got an error message. When I hooked up front and rear, everything worked as it should!

So I can confirm that this exact setup and install will work for US Spec 890 Duke R. View attachment 5387

View attachment 5387
Hey, I'm going to do this exact setup in a few days. Did you recieve an error be sure before the bike turns on? Did you enable LED Mode? Thanks for updating the thread!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey, I'm going to do this exact setup in a few days. Did you recieve an error be sure before the bike turns on? Did you enable LED Mode? Thanks for updating the thread!

I did not enable LED mode

I also did not receive an error code while bike was not running KOEO (Key On Engine Off)

I did use some alligator clips to make temporary connections to verify the circuits worked properly BEFORE making permanent soldered and heat shrunk connections. It took me an extra 1.5 hours but worth it to be sure.

I also strongly recommend buying a new tail light harness so you can retain the stock one if needed in the future

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's another data point - I have a Euro spec 890 (stock LED signals) and swapped out the stock LEDs for some Koso Infinity and Koso Mars at the front and rear. They blink fine but I get the dash error message. I added a 15 Ohm 25 W resistor on each side in parallel but still get the error message. Anyone else with a Euro spec bike who had had a successful aftermarket signal installation? I am wondering if I should try switching off LED mode?
Update
I asked my servicing dealer to turn off LED mode. I then tried the 15 Ohm resistors again. They did not work. I switched to a 25W 10 Ohm resistor in parallel on each side and they finally worked. This suggests that for US spec motorcycles using different brands of LED signals, a 15 Ohm resistor may also not work and you may need a different value. Based on the battery display voltage of 12.6 and an estimated draw of 5W, I came up with 10 Ohms +/-.
The head mechanic at the dealer told me that they install different LEDs on the Euro spec bikes, they just splice in the driver segment (the circuit board in the heat shrink) from the stock indicators. I didn't feel like hacking mine up so this is why I went the current route.
I fabbed up a bracket and a tee splice to the turn signal harness
Load Resistors.jpg
Load Resistor Bracket.jpg
Load Resistor Bracket.jpg
and mounted the two resistors under the pillion seat cover. The resistors get warm but I left air space between them and the underseat wiring. After five minutes of continuous use, the surface of the resistor reached 170 deg.F

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went the same route using both mblaze pins front and rear using 2 resistors in the rear 50w 15ohm as mentioned. Thanks @Zack Ebel
Hey! Sorry for the delay, I really don’t hit the forum often. Glad I could help anyone in any way.

On the mo.wave, I haven’t checked the wiring diagram for our bikes, but I suspect the relay is integrated, rather than a separate relay. In either case if it’s separate, then yes, just replacing it should work fine. If it’s integrated into the control modules/ecu, then you can’t use that product.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quick recap;
Installed rizoma legerra turn signals in the rear and corsas in the front. Got the indicator error with engine on, not with key set to on position. Tried all combinations of the rizoma resistors, and could not get the indicators to not throw a fault.

Fast forward one deployment and a few months later. Took my bike to have it's first service at JT motorsports in Maryland. I asked if during the service they could enable LED mode, and they said that they did not know what that was, and if I wanted them to install some resistors. I said no and for them to just complete the first service. I got about ten minutes away before they called me back and told me that they were out of the oil for my duke, and it would be a week before they would have it. I told them that I was in the area only for two days, so I had to go back and get my bike.

One week later I took it to Moto Richmond for the first service. I was told over the phone that they could do the change in the ECU to enable LED mode, After waiting four hours for the service, I was called and told that they were finished with my bike. I went to pick it up and noticed that they did not change the ecu or fix the indicator fault. I talked to the service desk and they said that they could order resistors to fix it, opposite of what they told me on the phone. The service desk told me that they would contact KTM directly, but they doubted that they could do anything.

I bring up the names of these places because they are both KTM certified service centers. They told me that they could not change LED mode on these bikes, and did not know of the existence of such an option. I don't know what I have to do in order to get these places to have it enabled, but enough people have said on here that it exists in the options in the dealer/service tool. I am not exactly close to any other servicing center and I know that I don't want to install resistors or mutilate the stock wiring in any way.

TL,DR: Went to two KTM certified service centers who denied any knowledge of the LED mode in servicing options. Not sure what to do now, don't want to do resistors if I don't have to.

Opinions? Any KTM techs in here?

·
Registered
316 Posts
@Dazed I think you were just unlucky with those dealers - I guess enabling the LED mode is just not something they are used to over in North America... it's not on their normal "click this on the laptop, then that..." in the service schedule.

We have evidence of it being possible - like here for example (though in Canada), and here (in the US).

I think it is just "hidden" somewhere in the KTM technician software that they aren't aware of or can't be bothered to look. Some people are just not very computer literate and get scared of things they haven't been shown.

I would be tempted to go to KTM USA and enquire (and name the dealers too)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quick recap;
Installed rizoma legerra turn signals in the rear and corsas in the front. Got the indicator error with engine on, not with key set to on position. Tried all combinations of the rizoma resistors, and could not get the indicators to not throw a fault.

Fast forward one deployment and a few months later. Took my bike to have it's first service at JT motorsports in Maryland. I asked if during the service they could enable LED mode, and they said that they did not know what that was, and if I wanted them to install some resistors. I said no and for them to just complete the first service. I got about ten minutes away before they called me back and told me that they were out of the oil for my duke, and it would be a week before they would have it. I told them that I was in the area only for two days, so I had to go back and get my bike.

One week later I took it to Moto Richmond for the first service. I was told over the phone that they could do the change in the ECU to enable LED mode, After waiting four hours for the service, I was called and told that they were finished with my bike. I went to pick it up and noticed that they did not change the ecu or fix the indicator fault. I talked to the service desk and they said that they could order resistors to fix it, opposite of what they told me on the phone. The service desk told me that they would contact KTM directly, but they doubted that they could do anything.

I bring up the names of these places because they are both KTM certified service centers. They told me that they could not change LED mode on these bikes, and did not know of the existence of such an option. I don't know what I have to do in order to get these places to have it enabled, but enough people have said on here that it exists in the options in the dealer/service tool. I am not exactly close to any other servicing center and I know that I don't want to install resistors or mutilate the stock wiring in any way.

TL,DR: Went to two KTM certified service centers who denied any knowledge of the LED mode in servicing options. Not sure what to do now, don't want to do resistors if I don't have to.

Opinions? Any KTM techs in here?
Sorry man. Like you, I was also hoping to test out the LED mode option and ditch my resistors to keep things clean under the seat. When I brought my bike in for first service, even though he already had to do a firmware update, they said it would cost me $60 for the tech to do a diagnostic. All of which boggled my mind since I bought the bike at that dealership, I'm returning for service there, and they were already plugging in. You'd think they wouldn't mind just doing it since they are already hooked up. So I passed since I'm not that hung up on it and I didn't want to have to get in to a battle with them to set it back or something if it couldn't run without resistors. I'll probably try to talk them in to it again for the next service, can't hurt.

I really haven't had that great of an experience at this dealer anyhow, but they are the only one around, so I'll stick with them while I'm under warranty, and then convert over to doing my maintenance at home from there on out.

As with all things, some people just simply aren't good at what they do, or they are too concerned about the dime when they have a dollar waiting on them 😅

If anyone knows how to acquire a legit KTM tool AND software, maybe we could do a shared buy/rental thing for the forum to make it affordable for everyone here that rows their own, or lives far from a generally underperforming dealer like it seems many of us do.

161 - 180 of 188 Posts