KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I'm a proud (relatively) new owner of a 2020 and I LOVE it! Having so much fun with it. I'm also a (relatively) new rider with only a few years under my belt. I'm pretty paranoid about cars not seeing me so, with a previous bike (CB500) I had it decked out with LED fog lights and an LED license plate frame like this:

I did some searches and found a couple threads about fog lights but nothing about LED license plate frames. Is that because they're pretty ugly, not useful, or just a waste of money? I see a lot of folks do the tale tidy here so maybe that's why? I would think that anything that would help let drivers know you are slowing down or turning would be an advantage but I'm still on the fence if I should add this.

Also, it doesn't look too complicated to install (the last one I had the shop did it for me) but since I don't have really any experience with wiring, not sure I should take the risk.

Thanks for any and all advice and opinions!
Erick

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I'm a proud (relatively) new owner of a 2020 and I LOVE it! Having so much fun with it. I'm also a (relatively) new rider with only a few years under my belt. I'm pretty paranoid about cars not seeing me so, with a previous bike (CB500) I had it decked out with LED fog lights and an LED license plate frame like this:

I did some searches and found a couple threads about fog lights but nothing about LED license plate frames. Is that because they're pretty ugly, not useful, or just a waste of money? I see a lot of folks do the tale tidy here so maybe that's why? I would think that anything that would help let drivers know you are slowing down or turning would be an advantage but I'm still on the fence if I should add this.

Also, it doesn't look too complicated to install (the last one I had the shop did it for me) but since I don't have really any experience with wiring, not sure I should take the risk.

Thanks for any and all advice and opinions!
Erick
Our resident moto journalist wrote this article Technological Advances in Brake Light Modulators

10 tips to improve visibility

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Sadly in many EU countries that "plate frame" would get you stopped. No E mark on the LEDs.

Another option is the STS brake module. Deceleration based. Will present either fixed or flashing simply by flipping it over. I have one on the Duke.
I also use programmable timers from a guy in the US. I was sneaky and hid the red LEDs inside the Indicators.

A point, btw, that most folk miss. Lights are more visible against a dark background. If it's sunny where you ride then the LED's are lost in reflected sunlight. Happens to ANY light (even headlights) bathed in sunlight. I've stopped using clear and smoked lenses since I took photos a few years ago. Not touched the Duke (yet?).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly in many EU countries that "plate frame" would get you stopped. No E mark on the LEDs.

Another option is the STS brake module. Deceleration based. Will present either fixed or flashing simply by flipping it over. I have one on the Duke.
I also use programmable timers from a guy in the US. I was sneaky and hid the red LEDs inside the Indicators.

A point, btw, that most folk miss. Lights are more visible against a dark background. If it's sunny where you ride then the LED's are lost in reflected sunlight. Happens to ANY light (even headlights) bathed in sunlight. I've stopped using clear and smoked lenses since I took photos a few years ago. Not touched the Duke (yet?).
Thanks! I ordered the Vololight License plate frame (brakeless decelerator indicator). Looks pretty simple to install, too. I'll post some photos when it's done. Hope it will help a little. I also wear a hi-vis vest (helite airbag vest) and have LEDs on my helmet that I usually keep on, especially at night.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I also wear a hi-vis vest (helite airbag vest) and have LEDs on my helmet that I usually keep on, especially at night.
Commendable - I confess that I am less conspicuous.

Allow me to make one tiny point. Anything you mount on a helmet almost certainly invalidates it's homologation on the road and may well be genuinely justified as such. I know there are companies that offer lids with built in LED function (Nolan ESS) - and those will have been safety tested. Even so I am not sure they'll pass the new tests.

Years ago I tried some aftermarket ones and they were a bit dodgy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Commendable - I confess that I am less conspicuous.

Allow me to make one tiny point. Anything you mount on a helmet almost certainly invalidates it's homologation on the road and may well be genuinely justified as such. I know there are companies that offer lids with built in LED function (Nolan ESS) - and those will have been safety tested. Even so I am not sure they'll pass the new tests.

Years ago I tried some aftermarket ones and they were a bit dodgy.
Interesting. Here is the LED kit that I have on my helmet. Ive had it on a couple helmets now for the last 5 years or so. It’s surprisingly bright even in the daylight. I’ve actually had motorists pull up next to me at stoplights and tell me how far back they saw me. Hopefully it won’t be a magnet for drunk drivers...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. Here is the LED kit that I have on my helmet. Ive had it on a couple helmets now for the last 5 years or so. It’s surprisingly bright even in the daylight. I’ve actually had motorists pull up next to me at stoplights and tell me how far back they saw me. Hopefully it won’t be a magnet for drunk drivers...

I just realized I never put any pictures up of the final fog light install. I also did the Vololight license plate frame and it works really well!

Here is a video of a drive by during the day:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts