KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KTM DUKE 890-R
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 890r with just over 2000km on it. More or less Brand-New! It's leaking oil from everywhere. Pretty much anywhere there is a seal to keep oil in it's leaking out! It's in the shop now. Never have I owned a brand-new anything has this happened. This has really changed my opinion of KTM. I loved my 390 and that's why I upgraded to the 890r. I'm starting to feel I should have just bought a good ole reliable Japanese rocket! Has anyone else experienced this to this extreme.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Very unlikely to have multiple simultaneous oil leak origination sites. Usually an apparently complex problem has a single cause, so one site of failure causing your leak. Unfortunately this may take few months to sort out and get resolved given Covid and other world events. I have had my share of bad experiences too. It's likely just a bump in the road. An " No", you dont want to get back to the bland, boring unless High RPM Jap bikes. Remember you likely thought Jap bikes were adequate until you rode the KTM 890r. I do understand your frustration as I am awaiting a cruise Control fix on my 890r at the moment. Not fun dealing with service tech at my Dealership but you never know what's happening in someone's life so I try to give a pass. But you won't find a more thrilling bike than the 890r. Stay calm, expect it to take a while to get resolved, and consider learning to do as much of your own wrenching in the future (if you're not presently doing so). Good luck. Keep updating us as it will help someone else down road. Best wishes.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
692 Posts
I have had 2 leaks on my 790.

The first was a leak from the counter shaft seal. I replaced it and it has been dry since then. Right now I'm at 11k miles.

The second was just a seep from the cam cover half moons. It seeped for a while but lately it stopped all on it's own.

If you want a real oil leaker buy an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. I had to fix 3 leaks on that sucker and none of them was an easy fix.

For me the Duke is such a fantastic bike I won't let a little oil ruin my fun.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2021 890r with just over 2000km on it. More or less Brand-New! It's leaking oil from everywhere. Pretty much anywhere there is a seal to keep oil in it's leaking out! It's in the shop now. Never have I owned a brand-new anything has this happened. This has really changed my opinion of KTM. I loved my 390 and that's why I upgraded to the 890r. I'm starting to feel I should have just bought a good ole reliable Japanese rocket! Has anyone else experienced this to this extreme.
Same exact thing with my 2020 790
Leaked from day one of purchase.
Valve cover, badly machined bottom case, oil filter cap was warped, and finally the counter shaft seal.
Required 4 separate trips to the dealer in Florida. Bike kept for 3 weeks each time. I was going to upgrade to a 2022 890 R but they have the same issues.
Very disappointing and a complete turn off to KTM!

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
660 Posts
Same exact thing with my 2020 790
Leaked from day one of purchase.
Valve cover, badly machined bottom case, oil filter cap was warped, and finally the counter shaft seal.
Required 4 separate trips to the dealer in Florida. Bike kept for 3 weeks each time. I was going to upgrade to a 2022 890 R but they have the same issues.
Very disappointing and a complete turn off to KTM!
I have had none of those issues on my 2021 890R.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Mine is weeping from the valve cover gasket, but not "actively leaking" - KTM states they wont repair unless there is proof it is actively leaking.
My KTM tech's took one look and the part came. It then took ages to get fitted as we were all "incarcerated" due to COVID.
I don't know and it's hard to prove - but I get the feeling that here in the EU we get "overall" better attention from KTM than maybe outside. But then I do take my 790 to Spains oldest KTM dealer. maybe they have more clout.

But on my Rocket I had a slight moistening effect from the rocker gasket for ages before I had to do it. Take a photo (with date) Wipe clean - then photo with date. If it reappears. Photo with date. That's active.

·
Registered
123 Posts
He has bad luck with oil leaks as every BMW he owned leaked oil like a sieve and apparently all BMW bikes do! haha
He has bad luck with oil leaks as every BMW he owned leaked oil like a sieve and apparently all BMW bikes do! haha
No issues with my 790 in three years other than a couple of things fixed at the first service. Interesting that relatively few 790/890 Adv riders are reporting these issues. Maybe it’s a rider problem😀😀.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Interesting that relatively few 790/890 Adv riders are reporting these issues. Maybe it’s a rider problem😀😀.
The ADV guys however do seem to have a bit on the frame that snaps off. But forewarned - there are fairly cheap preventative solutions about.

The ADV dash is different and that's the only other "failure" I have had (except dropping it - D'oh!) - The clock stopped working. It was only ever right twice a day. Dash replaced under warranty - but other wise - there's no way I'd pay 700€uros for a ruddy clock. imo - there are two many different dash problem comments to ignore them entirely. I leave a Costco microfibre towel over mine now. Interestingly a mate of mine with a 1090ADV has been advised by our communal KTM tech to do exactly the same to his dash if leaving in sun. I see a 3D printing experiment opportunity. Clip on Dash sunshades. Or maybe :unsure: - A simpler dash Speedo/tacho that cliped over the current one. GPS speedo and Shift-I - Shift Light - Ecliptech tacho. Hmmmmm. Or even Store | LSK Motorcycle Electronics - I have done this already - separate GPS speedos.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts