KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
154 Posts
Does wheelie control engage with launch control? So you hold the throttle pinned, let out the clutch, and hang on?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Street Mode and Sport Mode, can the bike loop out? Can we trust the electronics to save us from ourselves? Normally, I would be modulating the throttle, clutch, and the rear brake.
Can we trust the wheelie control technology?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Without looking at the manual... wheelie control is on in every mode, including track. You can only manually disengage it in track mode.

Well?

·
Registered
323 Posts
In Street Mode and Sport Mode, can the bike loop out? Can we trust the electronics to save us from ourselves? Normally, I would be modulating the throttle, clutch, and the rear brake.
I wish this were the case with our LC, but I doubt it. Really interesting article too:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/motorcycles/motogp/how-motogp-launch-control-works

"LC does not feature traction control because the fewer control strategies working at any point, the better. Also, straight-line wheelspin isn’t potentially dangerous to a MotoGP rider – he should be able to control it with his throttle hand."

·
154 Posts
I read the manual and it doesn't exactly say what happens with LC. And apparently nobody here has tried it either. I'm assuming WC is engaged otherwise you'd loop out, but I wanted to be sure before ever trying it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've tried it few times, WC is on and you give it full throttle and release clutch but in controlled manner. It is scary first time you do it but once you get used to it its amazing, bike is launching like a rocket, does a small wheelie,
depending on how quickly you release the clutch, make sure you hold on to bike tight and change gears quickly with quickshifter. Bike is controlling the throttle nicely so make sure you keep it pinned all the time :D

Have fun :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
and as per Theron

I've used it a couple of times. it's kinda of anticlimactic. Wheelie control cuts in, Traction control is on (as that's the 'control' part of Launch Control) and it handles it very well.
I sometimes get a tiny lift of the front wheel but to be honest it might just be the forks reaching full extension.

I was expecting it to sit at the start line at like 9000 rpm making me look like a hooligan. But it just holds around 3000, then you dump the clutch and try to keep up changing gears at the right time.

The electronics package is awesome on this bike. My previous bike (for 10 years!) was a v-strom 650 which you had to wring every last rpm out of the engine to get it moving. So i'm really heavy handed with this bike. I constantly have the anti wheelie and traction control kick in (orange light on the dash flashes).

here's Launch control in action (not my video):

much shorter version with just the money:

I notice in that last video he had the anti slip on 9. Mine is on 6 or 5 and it didn't squirm about, though they were hot tyres, smooth road and slightly uphill.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I suppose you could turn off anti-wheelie for a little extra thrill... in a controlled manner of course :nerd:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't think launch control can be used without anti wheelie mode...

hmmm i checked the manual and it doesn't mention it so maybe you can, that would seem unwise.

for those of you with new bikes, it does mention that lunch control isn't enabled until you've ridden more than 1000Km (620miles) so if you can't get it to go on your new bike that may be a reason.

(page 108)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Reviving an old thread again!

I tried launch control today and it was a mixed bag. Its weird and probably me being in the wrong but I dunno if I'm just doing wrong or not.

First attempt the bike wheelied then cut out. Luckily not very high. That didnt fill me with confidence for the following attempts.

So went as goes. Stick track mode on, stick launch control on. Stick it in first gear (make sure the dash indicated 3 goes left on the LC) pin the throttle to max and let out the clutch while keeping the throttle pinned?

Does the slip need to be adjusted lower or higher?

It feels daft but it takes a lot of balls to trust those electronics. In my years of biking and various types of bikes that's a recipe for bad news haha unless you actually want to flip the bike.

Are you meant to just let the throttle out quick or sort of progressively? And keep throttle to the max or ease off? Read the manual so figured I was doing it right.

Maybe just takes practice ?

·
Super-Moderator
121 Posts
I believe I'm going to need to view a video from all of you, exercising your right,

to Launch Control.. 🤖

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
135 Posts
That's a fun thread. I can't wait to have my 600 sMILES achievement un-locked!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've tried it few times, WC is on and you give it full throttle and release clutch but in controlled manner. It is scary first time you do it but once you get used to it its amazing, bike is launching like a rocket, does a small wheelie,
depending on how quickly you release the clutch, make sure you hold on to bike tight and change gears quickly with quickshifter. Bike is controlling the throttle nicely so make sure you keep it pinned all the time :D

Have fun :)
Roughly how far does the front wheel come up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
From reading other posts I think the IMU has a 7 degree limit.
I need to find out what IMU is, and what 7 degrees above horizontal is (presumably at the front wheel and bike's wheelbase relative to where the rear wheel contacts the ground). I definitely don't know what 7 degrees feels like while riding.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts