KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I just did my 2nd oil change at 4306 miles and found these large metal shavings stuck to the magnets. One of the oil screens was also quite bent; not sure if it happened while in the bike or the tech who did the first service bent it. I've contacted my dealer about this and saved my oil, oil screens, filter, and metal shavings in case they need to go to KTM.

Has anyone else seen this during an oil change?
metal shavings.jpg
oil screen.jpg

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quite large for sure. Hope the bike is under warranty. I wouldn't expect those shards, more particulate debris.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'd wager that screen is mangled by the last tech who did your oil change.

If this was my bike, I'd run this new fill for a brief duration, drain and inspect the results. It'll likely be pretty clear of large particles but I'd dispatch a sample off to blackstone for analysis.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd wager that screen is mangled by the last tech who did your oil change.

If this was my bike, I'd run this new fill for a brief duration, drain and inspect the results. It'll likely be pretty clear of large particles but I'd dispatch a sample off to blackstone for analysis.
If I don't hear anything from the dealer, that what I'll do.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If I don't hear anything from the dealer, that what I'll do.
I doubt the dealer is going to do anything unless you have some demonstrable damage that would be a candidate for warranty repair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with motosupial. There's not much on the combustion side that would be ferrous. Just the crank and rods most likely, and those chunks don't appear to be related to that.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
493 Posts
My guess would be clutch or tranny.

Do you do a lot of clutch up wheelies?

Would be nice to identify where the pieces came from.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My guess would be clutch or tranny.

Do you do a lot of clutch up wheelies?

Would be nice to identify where the pieces came from.
I wouldn't say a lot but probably 2-3 from 3rd gear if I'm on a long ride. Day to day riding I don't.

Wouldn't clutch just be friction material and not metal?

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
493 Posts
I wouldn't say a lot but probably 2-3 from 3rd gear if I'm on a long ride. Day to day riding I don't.

Wouldn't clutch just be friction material and not metal?
There are a lot of metal parts in the clutch. I have seen metal springs shed material if not heat treated properly.

If I were a betting man I would place my bet on something in the tranny. Your fragments are curved making all the round things in the tranny suspect.

Clutch 2.png

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Would be from the gearbox more than likely.
I wouldnt be too concerned either way
The thought of those ferrous fragments getting in any internal (no seal) roller bearing would worry me. It's most likely machining swarf - but that does not mean it cannot do damage.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have done 3 oil change already, the first one at 1000km(600m) and there was a lot of metal chunks, the 2nd one at 5000km(3000m) and I got many good size chunk like you do, but on the 3rd one at 10000km(6000m) it was pretty much cleaner.
I wouldn’t be too worrie about the chunk for now it’s kinda normal for a new engine, the rough edges are getting cleaned. The screen though is a bit strange.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are a lot of metal parts in the clutch. I have seen metal springs shed material if not heat treated properly.

If I were a betting man I would place my bet on something in the tranny. Your fragments are curved making all the round things in the tranny suspect.

View attachment 6707
That makes sense. I hadn't thought about all those parts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have done 3 oil change already, the first one at 1000km(600m) and there was a lot of metal chunks, the 2nd one at 5000km(3000m) and I got many good size chunk like you do, but on the 3rd one at 10000km(6000m) it was pretty much cleaner.
I wouldn’t be too worrie about the chunk for now it’s kinda normal for a new engine, the rough edges are getting cleaned. The screen though is a bit strange.
That's relieving to hear.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts