KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK Seems to be Italian - DIMSPORT.

But their webpage is dead. Not even a DNS entry. Found a US disti and maybe an Aussie one.
I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Email listed in the eBay posting.
That's just the seller. I have traced to the Spanish distributors. Written asking for outlets close to me or Spanish online sellers. Looks like a product line they'd rather not see too visible commercially.

Generally price seems to be about the same as a BoosterPlug. Post from the Italians is a crazy price. Post from the UK is taking ruddy ages (I think BREXIT uncertainty is the problem there).

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have that exact unit on my bike and have confirmed that it does in fact work. I've watched it change the o2 sensor output using an obd live data tool. I just don't think it alters the signal enough to make much difference. Booster plug made a more significant difference in fueling.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have that exact unit on my bike and have confirmed that it does in fact work. I've watched it change the o2 sensor output using an obd live data tool. I just don't think it alters the signal enough to make much difference. Booster plug made a more significant difference in fueling.
do you have an charts or diagnostic data? Of your lambda device work.

It was confirmed last year that the booster plug is not working. No big Airtemp correction on running engine, only on start.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm lucky I can read/speak German well (esp in technical fields) - so can read a bit between the lines too. They don't actually say it does nothing - but it seems they have detected it does not, long term, maintain the cylinders balanced and at full chat eventually the lambda alarms go off. Some sort of data creep.

It's well detailed techno-nerd forum (suits me :wink:) and includes the lambda measurement cycles. They also talk more in depth about the COOBER and the same questions I have are raised there. Though there is evidence it works (somehow). And discoveries regarding modifying the filter box are well interesting. I intend to spend some time reading there.

Be interesting to see if the Aussie chap manages to beat it. My gut feel somehow is that each lambda has to be modified/monitored totally independently.

I think for now I am prepared to live vicariously through the experimenting on the 790D. I spent hours and hours (and lots of money) with PCV-AT on the R3. MAP vs TPS tuning and even some ignition. Different map in each gear. Yes! - It does indeed proceed with alarming alacrity buy the increase in consumption has also been interesting. The gains however were far more.

All this said - sometimes it is random discoveries that surprise. The 1997 Buells could gain 6hp with a 99cent part. Discovered when a chap bust the original.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is also interesting is the info on the Air Filter Box. Basically leave it alone.
OK I should have read the WHOLE thread. There are two small rubber elbows Left And Right to the alloy rear frame - rip them out - midrange better but top end not so great. Free midrange torque. That'll do (me) for a start. Stock ECU compensates perfectly. I don't often rev past 8K anyway.

That or rip the whole filter box out and replace. There is also an Austrian lambda fooler in R&D. And new high volume headers from REMUS in R&D.

Took me ages to cope with the colloquial German - but it's all there with DYNO charts. :grin:

·
Registered
96 Posts
OK I should have read the WHOLE thread. There are two small rubber elbows Left And Right to the alloy rear frame - rip them out - midrange better but top end not so great. Free midrange torque. That'll do (me) for a start. Stock ECU compensates perfectly. I don't often rev past 8K anyway.

That or rip the whole filter box out and replace. There is also an Austrian lambda fooler in R&D. And new high volume headers from REMUS in R&D.

Took me ages to cope with the colloquial German - but it's all there with DYNO charts. :grin:

do not believe in everything you read, but there is indeed a lot of info

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
do not believe in everything you read, but there is indeed a lot of info
I am always sceptical. But rather than call anybody professional out on an open forum - I prefer to write directly and question.

I do however find that many of the questions I have regarding how "things" work seem to coincide with their questions. Some of the answers are not 100% convincing, but ................... they seldom are.

But I do indeed intend to try the FREE Filter Box mod'. If it really does get rid of the torque "dip" - that'll do me for now. I am not interested in "Track" levels of performance - but I am used to midrange torque - and I can feel the dip.

Also thinking I might look for another OEM exhaust to modify a bit. If only to ceramic coat in black. Though I would like too open it up to 45/46mm exit hole. It's a volumetric thing. Much much cheaper than something snazzy. And very Wolf in Sheep's clothing, which is very me.

I've been trying to pull the rubber elbow bits out - but these old fingers don't have the strength. :crying: - Yeah I'm a wimp, bite me!.

·
Registered
96 Posts
But I do indeed intend to try the FREE Filter Box mod'. If it really does get rid of the torque "dip" - that'll do me for now. I am not interested in "Track" levels of performance - but I am used to midrange torque - and I can feel the dip.

Also thinking I might look for another OEM exhaust to modify a bit. If only to ceramic coat in black. Though I would like too open it up to 45/46mm exit hole. It's a volumetric thing. Much much cheaper than something snazzy. And very Wolf in Sheep's clothing, which is very me.

I've been trying to pull the rubber elbow bits out - but these old fingers don't have the strength. :crying: - Yeah I'm a wimp, bite me!.

No it does not, the dip is still there also with a open filter. we have a bike close to us with K/N filter, dam loud but the dip is still there on stock setup.

I have the austin headers with 40mm they work fine. very expensive to be honest

·
Registered
189 Posts
do you have an charts or diagnostic data? Of your lambda device work.

It was confirmed last year that the booster plug is not working. No big Airtemp correction on running engine, only on start.
I'll try to get pics of my data recording. I can turn the dial on the Rapid Bike module as the bike idles and watch the lamba voltage rise and fall. It's doing something but I didn't notice much, if anything, in closed loop performance.

I currently have the Rapid Bike Easy and the Boosterplug running on my bike and can say that the Boosterplug does make a difference. Noticeably smoother and the exhaust popping on decel is completely gone.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm lucky I can read/speak German well (esp in technical fields) - so can read a bit between the lines too. They don't actually say it does nothing - but it seems they have detected it does not, long term, maintain the cylinders balanced and at full chat eventually the lambda alarms go off. Some sort of data creep.

It's well detailed techno-nerd forum (suits me :wink:) and includes the lambda measurement cycles. They also talk more in depth about the COOBER and the same questions I have are raised there. Though there is evidence it works (somehow). And discoveries regarding modifying the filter box are well interesting. I intend to spend some time reading there.

Be interesting to see if the Aussie chap manages to beat it. My gut feel somehow is that each lambda has to be modified/monitored totally independently.

I think for now I am prepared to live vicariously through the experimenting on the 790D. I spent hours and hours (and lots of money) with PCV-AT on the R3. MAP vs TPS tuning and even some ignition. Different map in each gear. Yes! - It does indeed proceed with alarming alacrity buy the increase in consumption has also been interesting. The gains however were far more.

All this said - sometimes it is random discoveries that surprise. The 1997 Buells could gain 6hp with a 99cent part. Discovered when a chap bust the original.
Nothing magical about the Rapid Bike module. It receives the signal from the o2 sensors, modifies it, and then sends it along to the ECU. There are no more o2 sensors downstream to send data to the ECU for it to tune out any changes. It taps into both sensors and adjusts the values for each. That said, it's not worth the money IMO.

·
Registered
96 Posts
this is what makes me skeptical.
Based on the ktm guy in this ktm forum the 02 lambda value is linked extreme accurate to injection amount.

this was also discovered from the guys there, the ecu simply adjust the fuel amount to the rpm/lambda setting.
at some point you have to fool the stock ecu to get more fuel but this is actually not possible.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just ran out and grabbed some quick readings from my obd2 tool.

Readings taken with bike fully warmed up (4bars). Short-term fuel trims

Idle. Started with the module at "0". First dash turned the module up to "+3". Second dash turned down to "-3". Third dash back to "0".
View attachment thumbnail (3).bmp

Doing my best to hold the throttle at 3000rpm. Started at "0". First dash turned down to"-3". Second dash turned up to "+3".
View attachment thumbnail (4).bmp

Didn't get a pic but I also noticed that the Boosterplug is making my bike believe that the intake air temp is 27 degrees (F) in my 77 degree garage.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts