KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After messing about with The KTM tailbag for the last 18 months, I’ve gone back to using the tried and trusted Ventura rack system. i thought I would share how I finally managed to attach the tail bag without tying it to the pillion peg rails, and how easy it was to install the Ventura rack.

Hopefully the pics show that the stitched loops on the front straps were hooked over the bolts near the rider’s seat without fouling the front of the pillion seat when refitted. The rear straps were looped through the grab rail handle ahead of the rear bolt to provide a pivot to allow the back to be cinched down. I had to remove the grab rail to make enough room to loop the straps through and make the loop as flat as possible.

Once the four straps are set up and the pillion seat is back on, it’s just a matter of placing the bag, tightening up the spring clasps, and finding somewhere to store all the extra lengths of strap.

This set-up worked fine but the bag wasn’t big enough to carry wet weather gear, tools and enough gear for a trip away or my work laptop in the week so I was wearing a backpack.

Tom in Sydney

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Ventura rack was dead easy to fit. All I did was remove the 4 grab rail bolts, and attach the Ventura ‘L’ brackets In its place. Then I had to assemble the rack itself, slot it into the ‘L‘ brackets, and tighten everything up.

There are lots of different bags to choose from. I went for the Bora 31L bag as I didn’t want too much bulk. It’s pretty easy to pick up the bigger, more common bags on EBay or Gumtree for occasional big loads.

So now I have a secure, more flexible system. I can take the bag off by undoing 2 clips. I also have the ability to carry a pillion by mounting bag in rearward position. Only downside is the bag sticks up a bit and looks bulky.

Hope this is useful for those considering their options.

Tom in Sydney

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Motorcycle accessories

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Ventura rack was dead easy to fit. All I did was remove the 4 grab rail bolts, and attach the Ventura ‘L’ brackets In its place. Then I had to assemble the rack itself, slot it into the ‘L‘ brackets, and tighten everything up.

There are lots of different bags to choose from. I went for the Bora 31L bag as I didn’t want too much bulk. It’s pretty easy to pick up the bigger, more common bags on EBay or Gumtree for occasional big loads.

So now I have a secure, more flexible system. I can take the bag off by undoing 2 clips. I also have the ability to carry a pillion by mounting bag in rearward position. Only downside is the bag sticks up a bit and looks bulky.

Hope this is useful for those considering their options.

Tom in Sydney

View attachment 5172 View attachment 5173 View attachment 5174
Hi Tom,

please excuse the resurrection question, but I am picking up my 790 in a few days & will be facing a similar issue to your previous one. I will most likely be mounting a Ventura Rack & will also be carrying a pillion a far bit, so I I hoping that the pillion gran handles can easily bolt back onto the same fittings that they originally sat on.

From your experience is that workable?
How do you carry a pillion on your set up?

i appreciate your prior posts & have learnt a fair but already through reading your comments, so thanks for all that already!

Cheers Tom,

Viv.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Viv -

I deleted the pillion grab handle for several reasons:
  • Instructions from manufacturer require rack to be removed, but they don't specifically forbid leaving it there.
  • The bolts that come with the brackets are not quite long enough to go through bracket AND grab handle
  • It's possible to arrange the rack in the rearward position, providing space for a pillion to hold onto the lower part of the rack. The rack isn't a backrest, but Ventura sell a grab handle that connects to these assembly
A few photos to illustrate how rack looks with/without bag.

cheers

Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Viv -

I deleted the pillion grab handle for several reasons:
  • Instructions from manufacturer require rack to be removed, but they don't specifically forbid leaving it there.
  • The bolts that come with the brackets are not quite long enough to go through bracket AND grab handle
  • It's possible to arrange the rack in the rearward position, providing space for a pillion to hold onto the lower part of the rack. The rack isn't a backrest, but Ventura sell a grab handle that connects to these assembly
A few photos to illustrate how rack looks with/without bag.

cheers

Tom

View attachment 5416 View attachment 5419
Thanks Tom,

I really appreciate that.
Looks versatile & avoids the ugliness of a top box.
Have you had any issues with the exhaust applying heat to the bag?
I am considering a mistral ventura pack, which is wider that the bora you have, but given the proximity to the exhaust system I am a little concerned that it may not be a good match.
I haven’t had much luck viewing the different Ventura bags in actual shops so I do appreciate your thoughts.
i would far rather a Ventura rack than a top box, but still prefer the security of leaving stuff in the top box without worrying about them disappearing! :LOL:
May I ask if you have any hassles with the Ventura or is it all good?

Cheers again Tom!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the thing about Ventura is if you are in two minds about the security you just unclip the bag and take it with you. I’ve found that a better compromise than hard luggage for many years now. As for heat, I did pick the narrow bag to reduce exhaust exposure, but having said that, I ran a Mustard tail tidy for 6 months that put the right indicator 10cm from the exhaust pipe and saw no issues. I only took it off because of the debris flying around - the pipe is only hot right next to the exit. I did wrap the right indicator in electricians tape as a precaution but it never melted or distorted.

cheers Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cheers Tom, again I appreciate your time & experience, it certainly has clarified a few lines of thought for me!
Thanks again (y)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wanted to add a few comments to this post as I had issues with my tail tidy and the Ventura L-bracket. It didn’t fit with R&G tidy because of the indicator position. I gave my feedback back to Ventura and they have actually made a new L bracket for duke 790/890 that works with tail tidy. I’m not sure if they have replaced all the L brackets with the new one or if you to request the new part number. This was done earlier this year and it took them about 2 months to fabricate the part.

For me the Ventura system works perfectly, I have the evo-22l for day trips, the evo-60l for longer trips and then the top box for commuting. Here are some photos of how the various setups all look

Attachments

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Very nice! I had the twin pack Ventura setup on my Blackbird and Street Triple and was very happy with it. Didn't want to go down that route with the 790 because I wanted a cleaner look now that I don't do so much long haul touring. Just bungee a yachting dry bag on the top of my everyday small tail pack for the odd occasion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep, you do sacrifice a bit of the look with any luggage you choose but the one thing I do love about this set up is that the rack and the bracket both fit in the bag. It’s really good for track days as you can bring everything you need and then very quickly remove the rack and keep it in the bag. I also think the 22l size seems to match the bike quite well and one of the few set ups that works with the pillion cover so you don’t need the seat.

·
Registered
134 Posts
+1 for the Ventura rack setup.
I've used one for every bike I've owned, mainly because I have to take so much stuff to work; or have to stow my year-round riding gear away during the day. My bike is my main transport, so I prefer also to have space on hand for errands etc.
I did a solo touring trip interstate recently for a few weeks, and zipped two Ventura packs together (my partner has an identical bag) which worked very well. I couldn't have done that with the more fashionable smaller setups.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I also went with Ventura, but the smaller sport rack option.I like how versatile the Ventura systems are.
@Scotty2wheels thanks for posting these pics. I'm looking and Ventura EVO options now. Based on your pics it seems that you can turn the rack around to have it either over the pillion of over the rear light which helpful. Is it necessary to remove the rear grab handle? As an earlier poster noted the OEM and supplied bolts aren't long enough to go through both the Ventura rack and grab handle but if it were possible to source longer ones is there room for both? Tank decals look great by the way also...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Excuse the intrusion, but I have the Ventura EVO rack & also had to remove the pillion grab handle. Not ideal, but until I find a longer bolt to fix both together it is either one way or the other. The Guys at Procycles are sure it wouldn’t be a difficult fix, but I haven‘t be riding much at all recently so I haven’t even tried to source said bolt.
I don’t imagine it would be to hard to visit a hardware supply & take the bolt out there & then, measure up & then find a longer one to be exact or near enough.
I am guessing that in order for both the grab handle & the EVO rack to work together, that the rack would need to be set as far back from the seat as possible.
I can live with that.
If I get it done reasonably soon, I will post some pics.
Don‘t be holding your breath though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another option is the Ventura grab handle shown below, doesn’t work with the tail bags (at the same time) but I think it would work with the panniers.
Automotive design Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory Auto part Bicycle part
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Helmet Automotive tire

1 - 16 of 16 Posts