KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am possibly looking to pick up a KTM PP Ergo seat but want to get some feedback.

I am 5'9" tall, 175 lb, and about 30" inseam. I can flatfoot the bike now but am very 50/50 on the stock seat (lack of padding and it tilts me in to the tank).

I am a huge fan of Sargent seats but they do not make one for the 790 Duke.

So I think I would like to try one of the Ergo seats and then if I am still not happy then send it to Sargent for custom alteration.

Question about the Standard Ergo Seat-

1. Is the profile of the seat the same as stock (canted towards tank) or is it level?

Questions about the Tall Ego seat-

1. Is the Tall seat +20mm higher due to additional foam and/ or is the base any thicker, taller base pads, etc.?
2. Is the profile of the seat the same as stock (canted towards the tank) or is it level?

Any personal feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
It is not just the height that differs - it is also the shape. I have seen photos over on the German site that illustrate this well.
Even the lower seat actually reduces floor contact because it is wider.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am possibly looking to pick up a KTM PP Ergo seat but want to get some feedback.

I am 5'9" tall, 175 lb, and about 30" inseam. I can flatfoot the bike now but am very 50/50 on the stock seat (lack of padding and it tilts me in to the tank).

So I think I would like to try one of the Ergo seats and then if I am still not happy then send it to Sargent for custom alteration.

1. Is the profile of the seat the same as stock (canted towards tank) or is it level?

1. Is the Tall seat +20mm higher due to additional foam and/ or is the base any thicker, taller base pads, etc.?
2. Is the profile of the seat the same as stock (canted towards the tank) or is it level?

I can't say I noticed any difference in the profile of the standard PP seat. It's more comfortable for longer rides. I'm the same dimensions as you (well, a few extra lbs :p ).. As barbargris mentions you don't sit quite as flat-footed, but it's not a big difference).

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm 6' 175lbs, and have the +20 PP seat. I don't notice any sloping issue with the seat, but then I don't recall noticing much of an issue with the stocker, either. (I replaced it with the PP seat almost immediately.) I believe that the base of the seat is the same, and that the additional height of the +20 version is derived from thicker padding. It is definitely MUCH more comfortable than the stock seat - all day comfortable. Looks nice too, imo.

I also find the texture of the PP seat to be much grippier, fwiw. You definitely have to lift yourself more if transitioning from side to side. Whether that's a plus or a minus is up to you - but if I ever manage to get the 790 to the track, I'd probably put the stock seat back on.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
I am using the +20mm seat from day one. Works well for me, at 6'2". I don't feel it is pushing me towards the tank.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Stock seat was crushing my sciatic nerve. Could only last 15 minutes before pain was so bad had to get off. The +20mm seat stopped the pain.
Able to do a Sydney to Melbourne return trip, (880km each way, leave Friday return Monday) with no pain. Couple of short stops for fuel.
Differences I felt, sitting a bit higher and softer. 5'11", 32"inseam, 110kg.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Received my +20mm ergo seat today. Replaced the stock seat right away as this was super easy. Will ride to work tomorrow and take a curvy detour when riding home, which would normally give me an iron butt. Curious about the difference! 😀

·
Registered
24 Posts
Received my +20mm ergo seat today. Replaced the stock seat right away as this was super easy. Will ride to work tomorrow and take a curvy detour when riding home, which would normally give me an iron butt. Curious about the difference! 😀
Oke, the seat is indeed more pleasant to my butt, but... ir’s not garanteed iron butt free. Rode for 2 full hours on curvy roads from work today (in kevlar jeans) and after 90 minutes I started feeling my buttcheeks. But way less than with the stock seat.

0D672673-40E9-4995-A9A3-FECB03D56FBE.jpeg

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also find the texture of the PP seat to be much grippier, fwiw. You definitely have to lift yourself more if transitioning from side to side. Whether that's a plus or a minus is up to you - but if I ever manage to get the 790 to the track, I'd probably put the stock seat back on.
Can anyone else speak to the added grip of the ergo seat? This is the main reason I want to get the front & rear ergo seats. I've been riding with my wife as pillion and she is sliding around a lot, which keeps pushing me way forward. Looking either at these seats, or a couple sheets of techSpec seat grip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@marty3d I own both the rider (+20mm) and passenger ergo seats and do not feel they are any grippier than the stock seats. The pillion seat has a little more padding and is a tiny bit flatter (as opposed to bowed in), but the problem is that the seat is still angled forward and so there is a tendency for the passenger to slide forward. I'll also note that the rider seat is noticeably more comfortable than stock, but the pillion seat is only slightly more comfortable than stock.

Something you might want to consider in addition to changing out the seat for your wife is lower foot pegs - I've mounted 40mm lower Duke 690 footpegs for the pillion, and I think this will help provide more leverage for her.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can anyone else speak to the added grip of the ergo seat? This is the main reason I want to get the front & rear ergo seats. I've been riding with my wife as pillion and she is sliding around a lot, which keeps pushing me way forward. Looking either at these seats, or a couple sheets of techSpec seat grip.
I do ‘feel’ I slide a bit less on the +20mm ergoseat. But that’s just for me as the rider, I don’t have a piliion ergoseat.

But my honest opinion: I think you’d better go for a different bike if you want to ride with a passenger frequently. 😉

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If you are after GRIP - I noticed a UK seller on Ebay "j-f-customs" selling high grip replacement seat covers. And for pollion there is a cheap thing called a triboseat.

I am keen to try one of these StackPath - I have used their gel pads for years. but I find it too wibbly wobbly on the 790D.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the insight and suggestions guys. I've ordered a Triboseat pillion cover and I will report back on its effectiveness once tested. If it's not effective, will likely get some techspec and cut to fit.

Good catch on the j-f-customs covers. Intreguing, but hard to justify the cost.

I really don't mind the stock seat so far, so probably won't upgrade. Although will see how I feel after I take it on a multi-day ride...

·
Registered
19 Posts

The tall seat appears to sit off the chassis more than standard height.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts