KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to take a short trip and started examining the panniers. There are a number of nice features that are intuitive to use. However, there are two things that I haven't been able to figure out.

First, after unzipping the expansion flap, one finds another zipper that goes around about two-thirds of the back of the inner liner. You can sort of pry it out a little but I can't see the function of it. Has anyone figured it out?

Second, inside both bags is a combination lock with a short lead. My best guess is that it's a helmet lock since the bags are already locked to the rack.

Has anyone seen a user manual for the bags? It would probably answer the first two questions.

·
VIP member
392 Posts
The lock goes through the loop on the outside zipper. I think the internal zipper was just to put in supporting panels. I’m not at home. So, I can’t check my bag.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Evan, thanks for the info. The lock question now is embarrassing. It's intuitively obvious. I'll bet you're right about the internal zipper too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey, I'm looking at possibly buying a 790 Duke. I would like my nee bike to have a quality pannier set. Have you mountes the KTM Side Bag Set 790 Duke
64112931000?
Are the water resistant/proof?
How well do the function in general?
Do you know of another option? SW-Motech or Givi?
Thanks

·
Registered
832 Posts
Do you know of another option? SW-Motech or Givi?
I have seen a few Left Hand only solutions but the volumes are low.

If it's for trips rather than urban capacity. I am currently rather enthused about the Mosko Moto Reckless system - I discovered it when I was sent this photo of a Duke setup for dirt roads

Attachments

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are expandable with straps to compress the load. The straps also serve to take the load off of the expansion material and its seams.

Fully expanded, they have a lot of volume but, of course, the right one has much less than the left due to the exhaust. Just put your heavier stuff on the right to balance the load.

They lock to the bike and have zipper pulls with holes to lock the pulls together.

All in all, a nice piece of kit.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't like how the right one is resting on the silencer. It can withstand the heat, and it doesn't block exhaust outlet?
The right pannier doesn't rest on the exhaust and doesn't block the exhaust in any way. It sits about 3/4" away and has a metal-faced insulating panel along its full length. Search for "Anyone Mount the KTM Panniers?" for some pictures.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Note that the SW-MOTECH rack comes with an Exhaust blast defector and Hepco&Becker sell a deflector as rack accesory (but you can make it fit with NO rack!.)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ah okay, thanks. That's a cool setup. I've bookmarked it under "Summer Week Long Moto Trip Daydreams".
It's right at the top of my "If I ever have to do distance on the KTM" list.

I may get one of their "Backcountry Duffles" if I blast to the UK on the R3 this year. But I may end up having to take the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts