KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is doing my head in.

I have the bluetooth adapter installed.
I have the KTM MY Ride function switched on in the ECU.
The ECU/dashboard version is 1.0

I can search and pair with my phone from the bike.
I can search and pair with a headset from the bike.

The bike says the headset is connected.
The bike says the phone is connected via the solid bluetooth icon on the display.
The phone says the bike is connected by the bluetooth status applet on the phone.

The My Ride function in the bike says the phone is not connected.
The KTM connect app on the phone says not connected.

I have tried:
pairing the bike from the phone
pairing the phone from the bike
pairing before installing the app
pairing after installing the app
deleting the pairing from the phone and trying again
deleting the pairing from the bike and trying again
deleting the pairing from the phone and the bike at the same time and trying again
deleting the app and trying all of the above again

the result is the same every time.

note, yes my phone is a blackberry, not it's not old. it runs android and launched in april 2017.

Attachments

·
A d m i n .
151,134 Posts
I feel like I’ve read numerous issues wt the MyRide system, similar to yours. I personally didn’t buy it.

Perhaps try a mates current iPhone or android and narrow it down some?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think my Brother in Law has an iphone, i'll ask next time he's around.
I just tried with a Sony Xperia, the bike says connected this time, but the app on the phone still says not connected.
super frustrating.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Please bear in mind that the function on the 790 is limited compared to the adventure bikes even if the name is the same.
I was confused at the time of purchase and asked a lot of question to the dealer then decided I was not getting much from the gadget as of today.
If the will add the navigation on the dashboard I'll think about spending my money on it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup, but i'm not getting ANY functionality. none. The app never acknowledges the bike is connected.
I don't even want a bluetooth headset (though i have a few).
I want to have my phone in my pocket, with my hardwired molded earbuds connected and i want to play/pause/next/volume from the handlebar controls.
I'll suck it up and use google play music if i have to. I'll use a bluetooth headset if i have to. But for the app to refuse to connect at all is a massive waste of money and an even larger waste of my time troubleshooting.
I've tried to contact KTM through their technical support contact page (which is also a nightmare, demanding things like date of birth!?) and no response.
The dealer i bought this off is 4000km away, which is my own fault i suppose.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I purchased the bike only 100km from home and I find the dealer fairly inconvenient already!
I guess that's because I live in the densely populated old Europe.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Everyone.
I have now got KTM My Ride working how i want it.
KTM My Ride is a hot dumpster fire and is not recommended. However when it works...it's pretty good.

It should be noted:

the KTM My Ride connect App is not required for any purpose and does not in anyway affect connecting to the bike or features offered on the 790 currently.
I'll repeat: there is no need to install the app at all for any reason other than you want to send your data to ktm or have your phone battery life reduced.

The 'compatibility chart' was last updated in September 2016 and appears to consist only of the phones that Sven at KTM could get hold of around the office before drinking heavily and then writing that chart.

The compatibility chart in no way explains why some phones are compatible and some phones aren't.

I have got it working with new iphones, Yotafone, Samsung, Nexus and Blackberry phones. I've also got it working with JBL, Sienhieser, Plantronics and random Chinese bluetooth headsets.
You just need Bluetooth 4.1 or above.

There is an issue with some oneplus phones.

The bluetooth module used on the KTM is made by bosch (probably) and uses the BLuetooth HCI device by Motorola
CC2564 Dual-mode Bluetooth® controller | TI.com
https://fccid.io/Z64-2564N
I'm almost certain its a custom version from bosch and will be based on their 'myspin' platform
https://www.bosch-mobility-solutions.com/en/products-and-services/two-wheeler-and-powersports/infotainment-and-instruments/infotainment-and-instruments-for-motorcycles/integrated-connectivity-cluster/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you describe the steps you took to solve this problem? I seem to be having the exact same issue (using Pixel 2xl).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just fitted my ride after finding the connector under the frame.

I have downloaded the service manual to look at all the settings and thought everything would be OK

I followed the steps to look for bluetooth, couldn't see it in the display

Tried the extra function setting to add my ride but couldnt see it

How do I get the ktm software to see the my ride then activate the bluetooth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have just fitted my ride after finding the connector under the frame.

I have downloaded the service manual to look at all the settings and thought everything would be OK

I followed the steps to look for bluetooth, couldn't see it in the display

Tried the extra function setting to add my ride but couldnt see it

How do I get the ktm software to see the my ride then activate the bluetooth.

You have to visit the dealer. They have to activate the bluetooth module via the KTM software.

On a separate note: Anyone who invested in the MyRide app, can you post a few pics of what displays on the screen when using various functions? Phone, music, does Nav even work on the 790 Duke?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
... Phone, music, does Nav even work on the 790 Duke?
No, NAV is not available on the duke 790 currently. However it is there in the firmware along with Cruise Control.

My bike is being rebuilt at the dealer but when it's back i'll post some pictures.
I get the feeling they had big plans for the bluetooth and then realized it was a nightmare to support so have stopped work on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
No, NAV is not available on the duke 790 currently. However it is there in the firmware along with Cruise Control.

My bike is being rebuilt at the dealer but when it's back i'll post some pictures.
I get the feeling they had big plans for the bluetooth and then realized it was a nightmare to support so have stopped work on it.
That would be awesome...

So, as I am discovering:

If phone is connect and NO headset connected means nothing shows on the screen? I have yet to see an incoming call display.

What BT headset are you using?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@steve841
Hi Steve,
I could not get anything to work unless i had both a headset and a phone connected.

The bluetooth headset i'm using is a liberate by plugphones
Though it will also work with JBL, sennheiser and plantronics. In fact the JBL works best (auto reconnect) but i can't fit it in my ears with my helmet on :0(

I do have a scala rider Q2 headset but don't use it anymore so haven't tested. Anything BLE 4.1 or higher should work.

As i said, the app doesn't do anything. At all.

I find i have to pair the headset everytime i start the bike, but the phone stays connected. I have some more experiments to see if i can fix that, but not until the bike comes back.

When both the headset and phone is connected, an incoming call is displayed on the screen (though just the number not the contact) and the number is read out in my ear. That may be the phone doing that though. I use android phones.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great! Thanks for the info...

Ended up ordering a Cardo Parktalk ...

Still learning the ins and outs of how it works...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts