KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

Registered
Damn, we really have to tell Suzuki that they need to give GSXS1000 owners their definitive headlight one day then.

Apart from that, I really like the fact that the 790/890 existed, it was the good sides of the 690 with the good sides of the 1290.

But I'm afraid that this 990 that will exist without a 690 or a 790 duke will create a weird void for lover of lightweight bikes.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good points, Brumm.

I am waiting for weight numbers. For me, getting something with 130 BHP and weight very close to the 790 is a winner. I will probably consider upgrading. If it will be much heavier, not too much.

Reactions: J D

Registered
Good pints, Brumm.

I am waiting for weight numbers. For me, getting something with 130 BHP and weight very close to the 790 is a winner. I will probably consider upgrading. If it will be much heavier, not too much.
Weight is the big factor in me going for one, love it to be 790-890 weight wise.

Registered
There have been so many "spy" shots I'm starting to lose interest. The (everything included) Euro4 790 I have is outstanding for most things (though it would suffer in the 40mph gusting wind we have here today). Sure I'd like a 990-SDGT with more tank range. But a decent SMT might appeal more. Who knows?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let's see what the finished product is. We can always stay with out 790/890s.

Ari

Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
The design elements looks like combinations of all sorts of things. I do think more HP is needed (than 890 duke) for a naked touring machine. The fairing looks more SDGT inspired so they are possibly already considering helping the 'naked-ness'

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also looks like bars are narrower/flatter.

Registered
I don't know whether it is age, the looming "electric age", the undoubted social impacts of COVID, the whole "war" thing - but I am less and less inclined towards change. And to be clear - I am not somebody who believes that all movement is an advance. And I do not change vehicles often, anyway. If "it" fits me - then a decade is usual ownership. It will need to be a huge improvement to get me off the 790D. Also - and I do not think I am alone here - I am really put off by the KTM "everything fun is optional" concept. Also I like tinkering and most modern vehicles make that VERY difficult.

If it is to be a Sports Tourer it will need a much bigger tank range - 400-500kms. I was told (by a main dealer here) not long after buying my 790D that KTM wanted really to axe the SDGT. But there are (I understand from the Press) indications that many ADV purchasers are moving back to good old fashioned Sports Tourers.

I really don't care what everybody else does. But I dont think I've made a big secret that an ADV riding position with 17" wheels would persuade me more than a 21/18 or even a 19/17. I am not rushing to change. But am realistic enough to know that the next bike I buy may well be the last one I buy. And I think it will need to be a do everything bike.

Sorry - the sun is out - I started to wander a bit.

Registered
I hope that's not the final version! I've never been a huge fan of the origami styling of my first 990 Super Duke, but the looks of that bike grew on me over time (especially after I paid for it). The current 790/890s look downright voluptuous by comparison! This one looks like random pieces of paper fell together and just happened to take the shape of a motorcycle! Sorry. Projector headlights on motorcycles, since the very first Ducati 999s have always looked hideous to me.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not a big fan of how KTM bikes look, in general. I am a huge fan of how they work, though.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MCN has a page for the 990, showing some of the development progress.

"At just 169kg (dry) the current 890 is a lovely lightweight machine and there鈥檚 no reason the new bike should get any heavier".

Registered
The 890 was a marginally bigger engine in essentially the same chassis and bodywork, 3 years after the 790. It wouldn鈥檛 be unexpected that another 3 years later the 990 would be a major revision with totally new frame and bodywork.

Registered
Forget the lights. At the moment it has to NOT LOOK much like anything close to production - otherwise where's the "press launch surprise"?.
EU5b compliance will, I believe, make a little more weight inevitable.

Registered
As a duke 790 owner i'd consider upgrading to either one of the 990 Duke R or a 990 Duke GT, both are in my opinion very intriguing motorcycles.

I am however not a big fan of KTM not having any standard bikes between the duke 390 and a detuned A2 eligible 990 duke, even though this seems to be the trend for most manufacturers over the last few years,

1 - 20 of 44 Posts