·
a d m i n .
151,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
VIP member
475 Posts
I have read it multiple places and been told directly by my local KTM NA representative that there will be no 790R version. Although I'm inclined to believe them, manufacturers have been known to mislead the public so as not to scavenge sales of current models. (I seem to remember Apple saying, quite frequently, that it would never produce a watch. )

·
Super-Member
595 Posts
Looks like front suspension adjustment capability and brembos. Maybe a few other tid bits, but yea, I agree with Evan. I like mine to0 much to switch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I see myself taking time to bond with my Duke & maybe do suspension upgrade after a couple of years maybe. There will be lots of feedback by then on best bits.

·
Super-Moderator
716 Posts
Great platform to upgrade and at very good base price. I was looking at a Hypermotard before buying the Duke. Sits taller but feels more like a street bike. I guess that this is the Ducati DNA. Brilliant suspension and brakes. Loved both bikes. Went with the Duke because I figured I can personalize it a lot and not even get close to the Ducati's price.

For me, the bike feels very good. I can see better suspension (front + rear) and better front brakes (might be just the right pads) in its future. So far, so good.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah, loads hearsay, conjecture, rumours and assumptions but never found anything official.

I highly doubt R&D would ever tell dealers or reps what they’re actually working on anyway and if they did they’d be made to sign NDA’s. So any info that has been given is more likely opinion than fact.

It’s looking less likely but certainly wouldn’t rule it out. If it can make them more money and more sales I don’t see why they wouldn’t. I’d certainly look at an upgrade if they released a model with fully adjustable suspension, better blocks and a more super duke look, black an orange rather than black and grey. Kind of like @Mister 790 Duke has done with his.

·
Registered
362 Posts
It makes sense if they are planning an R version, it will be competing directly against Triumph Street Triple RS and they won't be able to squeeze enough additional BHP out of the current engine for it to compete on a level playing field. Unfortunately it's the first and sometimes most important thing for some buyers even when looking at a middleweight and to outdo the RS in terms of numbers would be a marketing win for them.

·
Super-Moderator
716 Posts
Get a better suspenders and brakes and you have an R version. It's not like the bike lacks power, unless you're just comparing specs.

I found power to be the thing that grows on you the quickest. You add power to a bike or buy a stronger bike and 2 months later you are looking for more.

This is why I am investing more in suspension and brakes for the past years. They pay dividends and allow you to become a better rider without taking huge amounts of risk. At any rate, there is very little to do with 150HP on public roads without taking a lot of risk, becoming a menace and getting into trouble with the law. Track, of course, is a different story. But what percentage of the rider population really gets to the track on a regular basis?

One of the reasons I went with the Duke is that it offers a great package at a reasonable price. With relatively small investment you can make it your own and work on its "weak points".

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
300 Posts
Get a better suspenders and brakes and you have an R version. It's not like the bike lacks power, unless you're just comparing specs.

I found power to be the thing that grows on you the quickest. You add power to a bike or buy a stronger bike and 2 months later you are looking for more.

This is why I am investing more in suspension and brakes for the past years. They pay dividends and allow you to become a better rider without taking huge amounts of risk. At any rate, there is very little to do with 150HP on public roads without taking a lot of risk, becoming a menace and getting into trouble with the law. Track, of course, is a different story. But what percentage of the rider population really gets to the track on a regular basis?

One of the reasons I went with the Duke is that it offers a great package at a reasonable price. With relatively small investment you can make it your own and work on its "weak points".
Agree with this 100%! You can upgrade suspension and brakes! The rest of the package really beats out the triple.

·
Registered
199 Posts

I third this, well said.

I thought I'd be dumping money into the 790s suspension but I have yet to find it lacking for how I ride the bike. In fact, I find it one of the best sorted non-adjustable setups I've ever felt. I have a few thousand dollars in suspension upgrades on my MT07.

·
Super-Moderator
716 Posts
I thought I'd be dumping money into the 790s suspension but I have yet to find it lacking for how I ride the bike. In fact, I find it one of the best sorted non-adjustable setups I've ever felt.
Agreed.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
552 Posts
This is starting to look a little more real. Look at those brakes!

https://translate.google.com/transl...ciclismo.it/arrivo-nuova-ktm-890-duke-r-73236
Be interesting to see if they replace the 790 with an 890 or offer both the "base" 790 and an 890R version.

My guess IF it actually makes it to production:

890R:

- increase of 10-12rwhp + 8-9ft lbs so 105-106 at the rear wheel. (NA bikes anyways - ours have roughly 95 now)
- Brembo front brake setup + larger rotors.
- Upgrade to Apex WP fully adjustable suspension or whatever the 1290SD uses.

MSRP would go from (CDN $$$) $11,499 to $13,999 - $2500 bump is my guess.

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
300 Posts
Be interesting to see if they replace the 790 with an 890 or offer both the "base" 790 and an 890R version.

My guess IF it actually makes it to production:

890R:

- increase of 10-12rwhp + 8-9ft lbs so 105-106 at the rear wheel. (NA bikes anyways - ours have roughly 95 now)
- Brembo front brake setup + larger rotors.
- Upgrade to Apex WP fully adjustable suspension or whatever the 1290SD uses.

MSRP would go from (CDN $$$) $11,499 to $13,999 - $2500 bump is my guess.
Am I the only one who doesnt want a bigger motor? The 790 is a perfect size to have fun plus keep you out of trouble. I don't have any interest in stock suspension being improved from the factory either, i'd rather drop in my own stuff that is setup for me. The only thing I like the idea of from the factory is the brembo brakes!

1 - 20 of 152 Posts