KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a track day coming up in mid June. I’d like to record this with track telemetry overlays. I’ve had experience with this on my past bike (Ducati Monster) where I used Race Render, Track Addict and a 10Hz GPS timer record video and overlay track telemetry but Ducatis are very locked down.

See youtube link below as reference.

I’ve heard that KTM’s are compatible with OBD2 readers but I don’t know how correct this statement. I was looking for clarifications on this statement and was wondering what information others have been pull from the bike (RPM? Gear? Lean angle?). I have a Lonlec cable on order to transform convert the diagnostic port to an OBD2 and an ODB2 Mx+ Bluetooth unit.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on the software you are using. My diagnostic tool can see over 50 or so parameters and all you mentioned
That is so cool. It feels refreshing to not have to constantly deal with neutered proprietary ECU's that share no info. I'm excited to see what data I can glean from the bike once I get my cable.

·
Registered
599 Posts
That is so cool. It feels refreshing to not have to constantly deal with neutered proprietary ECU's that share no info. I'm excited to see what data I can glean from the bike once I get my cable.
True but you will find it difficult to get much from off the self cheap apps i.e. torque. My system is a shop level diagnostic tool

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey guys, a semi-related question: Is there a cable adapter with OBD-II connector available for the KTM, to be able to use a regular code reader to at least pull codes (data-logging would be nice too) from the ECU? I used to have one for my MT-10, but couldn't find any other Japanese motorcycle brand available. Hopefully there is something for KTMs too. Thank you.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hey guys, a semi-related question: Is there a cable adapter with OBD-II connector available for the KTM, to be able to use a regular code reader to at least pull codes (data-logging would be nice too) from the ECU? I used to have one for my MT-10, but couldn't find any other Japanese motorcycle brand available. Hopefully there is something for KTMs too. Thank you.
890 is euro 5 so you need this Euro5 4 Pin OBD2 Interface Adaptor ISO 19689
790 KTM 6 Pin OBD2 Interface Adaptor

Most apps will only be able to pull codes from the main ECU but is also the dash, headlight, abs and immobiliser modules

Example, this from my diag tool

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Yeah, it'd be nice to pull codes from all modules, but I settle for the mechanical ones. Otherwise, you'd need an expensive device, like dealers use, for something you might never need.

Hey, seeing your chart, I thought these bikes didn't have TPMS. Is that an option in the US? Do wheels come with sensors already? Thx.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Yeah, it'd be nice to pull codes from all modules, but I settle for the mechanical ones. Otherwise, you'd need an expensive device, like dealers use, for something you might never need.

Hey, seeing your chart, I thought these bikes didn't have TPMS. Is that an option in the US? Do wheels come with sensors already? Thx.
No, you need to add the module with sensors and have to enable it in the dash

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is so cool. I've always, always, always dreamed of getting information into my videos such as lean angle, RPMs, gear #, open throttle, braking into my videos. Is this possible? Can someone explain OBD to me like i'm 5. Is this super expensive to set up? Did OPs original question even get answered? I mean using products other than diagnostic level, and expensive tools, can those data be pulled? What does OBD-II mean? Could someone give me an example of a set up required to pull this data? THis is so cool. (sorry for being a noob)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, ordered the adapter from lonelec last week to use with my OBDLink MX scanner.

EEL, your going to THill makes me think you're in the NorCal area. I'm in the SF Bay, I'd be willing to share use of it if you haven't purchased one yet (wasn't sure based on your posts). I just need it to figure out the source of my MTC/TCS/ABS warning light that's preventing me from using them or changing riding modes.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Well, ordered the adapter from lonelec last week to use with my OBDLink MX scanner.

EEL, your going to THill makes me think you're in the NorCal area. I'm in the SF Bay, I'd be willing to share use of it if you haven't purchased one yet (wasn't sure based on your posts). I just need it to figure out the source of my MTC/TCS/ABS warning light that's preventing me from using them or changing riding modes.
What software are you going to use? Highly doubt you will be able to connect to any module other than the main ECU (petrol injection - Bosch in the pic) without professional software. The ABS has it's own module as does the dash

·
Registered
211 Posts
TBD, at this point I just want to make sure I can connect at all to check (some of) the codes it's throwing. The dealer wouldn't even check the codes, saying "it's probably the LED turn signals and brake light you put on it". But that's BS, before the spill, I had the same parts on it without any issues whatsoever. So i want to take the first step into saying "screw that noise, here's what it's NOT" 😅

·
Registered
599 Posts
TBD, at this point I just want to make sure I can connect at all to check (some of) the codes it's throwing. The dealer wouldn't even check the codes, saying "it's probably the LED turn signals and brake light you put on it". But that's BS, before the spill, I had the same parts on it without any issues whatsoever. So i want to take the first step into saying "screw that noise, here's what it's NOT" 😅
You will be able to pull some codes from the main engine ECU but it will be limited. You really need a dealer type professional system to properly diagnose it. Hopefully someone develops something cheap!

·
Registered
137 Posts
The regular code readers only pull emissions related codes, and some ABS codes, but that's it. For module codes, you need a dedicated software that most of the times only dealers have. There are options for some vehicles, like Porsches, Audis, Fords, etc. The cheapest of those is Ford's FORScan, which is free, and you only need to buy a compatible cable (about $20). Wish there was something like that for bikes.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The regular code readers only pull emissions related codes, and some ABS codes, but that's it. For module codes, you need a dedicated software that most of the times only dealers have. There are options for some vehicles, like Porsches, Audis, Fords, etc. The cheapest of those is Ford's FORScan, which is free, and you only need to buy a compatible cable (about $20). Wish there was something like that for bikes.
Texa support the 790/890, my screenshot above is from their website. I bought a Texa system about a year ago

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I'm actually in the South Bay / Morgan Hill area. I ordered it a while ago and was planning on testing it out at THill track in a couple of weeks using my OBD Mx+

I doubt I'll be able to utilize it for too much other than rudimentary data but for servicing in the future I would consider other options

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm actually in the South Bay / Morgan Hill area. I ordered it a while ago and was planning on testing it out at THill track in a couple of weeks using my OBD Mx+

I doubt I'll be able to utilize it for too much other than rudimentary data but for servicing in the future I would consider other options
Nice, i'm up in the Vallejo/Benicia area. I'd love an update once you've got and have tried it out, seeing as the only difference in our equipment is you have the OBD Mx+ and mine is the regular, non-plus.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts