KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bet no one else has had this problem.
I had a friend coming to visit and was excited to find out she knows how to ride a motorcycle. I went to the garage to oil the chain and noticed that the bike was leaning over a little more than normal. So, I sat on the bike and put the weight back on the stand and it broke, close to where it attaches to the bike. I was upset but grateful that it happened with me in the garage instead of with her riding it and breaking when she would get off.
I think the screw got loose and added pressure to the kickstand until it broke.
Otherwise, I love the bike, it is so much fun due to the way it handles and shifts.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
jesus, that's an odd place for the kickstand to snap. if you have any scratches on the left side of your bike, you should tell KTM the kickstand breaking caused it lmao

·
Registered
843 Posts
WTF? I've been riding for nearly 2 decades and have never heard of that happening.
I've been riding for 4 - and it's rare.

Old Guzzis have a habit of bending the frame mount of the prop stand.

Seen the mount rip out of the engine block (ouch) on newer bikes.

Very often (I'm not saying it's the case here) it's becase folk stand, sit, bounce on the bike whilst it's on the stand. That or a bolt has de-torqued and has some waggle.

But that break looks more like a crystallized weld - if it were mine - I'd be all over KTM.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Generally most of the things around us isn’t as solid or thought as it use to be 30+ years ago. I have never seen anything like this before either, but in KTM case they’re trying to shave as much weight( and money )as possible. If I’m not mistaken this stand is casting instead of solid steel to save a few once’s witch for sure not as good( if i see right I’m noticing something that look like an air bubble or impurity in the middle where it broke ). I use to often turn around my ´89 GSX literally standing balancing on the stand, i wouldn’t do that now !! I would go back to KTM.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Generally most of the things around us isn’t as solid or thought as it use to be 30+ years ago. I have never seen anything like this before either, but in KTM case they’re trying to shave as much weight( and money )as possible. If I’m not mistaken this stand is casting instead of solid steel to save a few once’s witch for sure not as good( if i see right I’m noticing something that look like an air bubble or impurity in the middle where it broke ). I use to often turn around my ´89 GSX literally standing balancing on the stand, i wouldn’t do that now !! I would go back to KTM.
My wife spins her 05 CBR around on the stand like it's nothing, it gives me the willies every time. When she worked at a Ducati dealer they couldn't do it with the engine case mounted stands, she's seen more broken mount bosses than anyone should have to. I haven't wanted to try with the 790.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We had a case of that in the german speaking forum.
It happened because the screw of the kick stand started to loosen (is that even a word? ;)) and the angle of which the kick stand stands on the ground changed.

After that some users checked said screw and it was already loose at some bikes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
We had a case of that in the german speaking forum.
It happened because the screw of the kick stand started to loosen (is that even a word? ;)) and the angle of which the kick stand stands on the ground changed.

After that some users checked said screw and it was already loose at some bikes.
Interesting bit of info @RotlichtKalle, thanks - probably another item to add to the check list post-winter when I get the bike out.

Your English is perfectly correct - loosen is indeed a word (you can also say "had loosened" or "had come loose")

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
I occasionally rotate the bike on the kickstand, I may stop doing that after seeing that, but I’ll probably forget and carry on doing it anyway :surprise:

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks for bringing this up - i just checked the kickstand bolt of my D790, and it was a couple of turns loose. :eek:
I tightened it down and will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's sounding like someone on the assembly line had failed to put the loctite on some of the bikes. Mine is tight; won't budge.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts