KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching ways to improve the low/steady speed surging and came across a O2 mod that has been popular on several other bikes including the 690s. Seems like the solution to our snatchy throttle issues. He just needs a 790 to develop the mod for our bikes.

If anyone in the Brisbane Australia area wants to lend him their bike, it sounds like he'd be willing to help us out. I'd jump all over this but I'm located in the US.

You can read more about the mod here https://www.ktmforums.com/forums/duke/17290-kevs-o2-mods.html

I commented that I'd be interested in the mod for the 790 and he said he would only need a 790 for the day.

·
a d m i n .
151,147 Posts
Interesting for sure. Do many people still have the surging issues, with the latest software update?

Man that forum has a load of advertisements, gives my laptop a headache, :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting for sure. Do many people still have the surging issues, with the latest software update?

Man that forum has a load of advertisements, gives my laptop a headache, :)
My dash says I'm on version 1.00. The KTM diagnostic tool says I'm fully up to date and I'm still having the low speed jerkiness while trying to hold a steady throttle. Going through a town at 30 mph is annoying, even in rain mode.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My dash says I'm on version 1.00. The KTM diagnostic tool says I'm fully up to date and I'm still having the low speed jerkiness while trying to hold a steady throttle. Going through a town at 30 mph is annoying, even in rain mode.

We spoke with KTM officials at the road show few weeks ago in south france, and they told us the same, with all software versions the low speed shaking is simply there.
Our dealer is selling the coober ecu, they fix it. Also they are able to order Akrapovic EVO Kit, not street legal but also able to fix it.

Otherwise, you can see it as a feature, to a have a boogy woogy bike :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been researching ways to improve the low/steady speed surging and came across a O2 mod that has been popular on several other bikes including the 690s. Seems like the solution to our snatchy throttle issues. He just needs a 790 to develop the mod for our bikes.

If anyone in the Brisbane Australia area wants to lend him their bike, it sounds like he'd be willing to help us out. I'd jump all over this but I'm located in the US.

You can read more about the mod here https://www.ktmforums.com/forums/duke/17290-kevs-o2-mods.html

I commented that I'd be interested in the mod for the 790 and he said he would only need a 790 for the day.
Finally got my hands on a 790 this past weekend, I got the info I need from the bike, I will see what I can come up with my 02 sensor controllers & the 790's.

·
Super-Member
600 Posts
I'm definitely interested as well. I still have the jerkiness at low speeds.

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
300 Posts
Am I the only one who feels the bike doesn’t have this issue? It is very smooth to me.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Am I the only one who feels the bike doesn’t have this issue? It is very smooth to me.
Can't say mine is that bad. Thing it - it's not a four or a triple - it's a twin with a weird offset firing cycle to emulate a V-Twin. In Rain, street and to some extent sport modes this is hard to spot. In track mode the lumpiness does wave hello. There is however a monster dip in torque.

·
Super-Member
600 Posts
It's not bad enough to really consider spending a lot of money to change, but a fix and a cost would be nice to know and be able to decide on.

·
300 Posts
Can't say mine is that bad. Thing it - it's not a four or a triple - it's a twin with a weird offset firing cycle to emulate a V-Twin. In Rain, street and to some extent sport modes this is hard to spot. In track mode the lumpiness does wave hello. There is however a monster dip in torque.
I hope in track mode you are doing more then 30mph!

It's not bad enough to really consider spending a lot of money to change, but a fix and a cost would be nice to know and be able to decide on.
That’s a good point.

·
Super-Moderator
366 Posts
Mine doesn’t feel bad at all, barely noticeable. It could also be down to perception and what bikes you’ve ridden in the past. I mean it’s an absolute dream compared to the snatchiness and low rpm stutter of some of the older 2t’s I used to ride lol

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
That there is EXACTLY the point. A Boosterplug will richen things up across the board by 5-6% - That'd help. Overriding the closed loop - that'll help. Modify ignition and some surge fuelling - Coober - That'll help. PCV with AT - I know that helps.

Now for the Track-ies amongst us, the answer will not be the same as for those of us trundling about in traffic.

·
300 Posts
Mine doesn’t feel bad at all, barely noticeable. It could also be down to perception and what bikes you’ve ridden in the past. I mean it’s an absolute dream compared to the snatchiness and low rpm stutter of some of the older 2t’s I used to ride lol
That probably has a lot to do with it, my old Ducati was a bear down low and took a super smooth throttle hand to control.

·
Super-Moderator
717 Posts
So it sounds like for anyone who's looking to just smooth the curve, this should be sufficient.

How would it work in conjunction with a PCV or similar?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts