KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to keep your bike clean?
I've been using Meguiar's Quick wax for ever. I've seen it raise the value of a 70's bike $100's of bucks.
Some of these new products claim to offer a durability greater than wax and that they will keep the finish cleaner.
What about winter storage? Could these products protect and sustain the finish of these bikes that are mostly plastic body work?
Thanks in advance for your response.
Bottoms Up!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure about wax coatings for the bodywork, but when my 890 arrives I'll be ceramic coating the wheels. Happy to provide updates if anyone is interested.
Ceramic coating the wheels? I'm curios, why only the wheels? I'd like to know more about it.
Cost?
Preparation?
Benefits, are not the wheels powder coated? Isn't that nearly an indelible finish?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm really not too interested in spending excess time on detailing my bikes these days.
I'll rinse, wash, rinse, then spritz w/ Turtlewax Ceramic Wet Wax before drying off. If the instruments are scuffed, I'll polish 'em up w/ some Megs plastic polish. Dry the chain w/ some compressed air and lube if needed.

Still ride through the winter as long as there's no ice or snow on the pavement. No road salt to worry about but if there was, I'd be cleaning the bikes more frequently.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ceramic coating the wheels? I'm curios, why only the wheels? I'd like to know more about it.
Cost?
Preparation?
Benefits, are not the wheels powder coated? Isn't that nearly an indelible finish?
Some ceramic coatings will shed surface dirt much better than un-coated surfaces. They tend to look cleaner longer & clean up more easily than un-coated surfaces.
Prep, application methods and cost are all dependent on the coating that you are applying.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cost?
Preparation?
I've been told that coloured wheels get dirty very easily and never stay clean. Having only ever had black wheels before it's never been an issue.
Have not seen an 890 in person yet as there are still none in Australia - but the wheels appear to be glossy in photos. That being said I've seen that ceramic coatings can be applied to satin/matte surfaces as well.
Want to make sure the wheels stay as clean as possible, want to be able to just hose/wipe them down and have them looking new again. Perhaps I will consider ceramic coating on the bodywork as well, have never done it before so only committing to wheels at this point.
Yes it is a semi-permanent finish, but I'm willing to give it a shot to keep it looking perfect! I've never owned a new motorcycle before and I've had a deposit on an 890 for over 3 months now, she will be my baby :)
Kits cost between $100-$200 so not a huge cost for a coating that lasts much longer than any wax. Just watch some videos on ceramic coatings and how hydro-phobic they are. Saw one video where a lexus' wheels were almost brown with brake dust... A bit of Iron X and a hose down and they looked brand spanking new.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Plexus is great on bodywork, use it all the time... But it's not a very long lasting solution. I use it mostly on my helmet visor, great to keep water beading off of the surface of the plastic. I apply it almost every day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I (well my son....) have ceramic coated both my cars and certainly the water beads off very quickly and washing is much easier....
Whether it was planned (??) I have enough left in the bottle to do the new Duke ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hard to keep clean? They look so good though...
I agree, well worth the effort to keep clean. I have found however the paint is not very sturdy as I have several chips off the rear wheel where the chain apparently through a rock or other object. The dealer said there is no warranty on the paint but offered to powder coat the wheels when he changes the next set if tires...on me of course!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree, well worth the effort to keep clean. I have found however the paint is not very sturdy as I have several chips off the rear wheel where the chain apparently through a rock or other object. The dealer said there is no warranty on the paint but offered to powder coat the wheels when he changes the next set if tires...on me of course!!
The chipping is another reason I'm interested in the ceramic coating, hoping it adds that extra layer of protection... Can't wrap them in a clear film of course so I figured this was the next best thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The chipping is another reason I'm interested in the ceramic coating, hoping it adds that extra layer of protection... Can't wrap them in a clear film of course so I figured this was the next best thing.
Is the ceramic coating a wax type that I can apply or ????

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is the ceramic coating a wax type that I can apply or ????
Not a wax, it's a solution that applies a somewhat permanent coating.
It comes in a little bottle, like 50mL or something. A few drops on the supplied applicator pad and you need to evenly apply over the whole surface. Leave it for 60 seconds and then buff it off.
It's a nano-coating that adheres to the surface of the paint providing a top-notch level of protection. It lasts for at least 24 months so that's what I meant by semi-permanent, but the surface must be 100% clean and free of scratches otherwise and dirt or marks will be sealed under the ceramic coating.

Watch some videos on youtube and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Found a guy locally who said he will ceramic coat my wheels for $200 AU

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
521 Posts
I have used a lot of stuff over the years but I recently got a can of this and it is amazing.

Water wetted micro fiber towel to wipe off all the bugs and dust, then I use the Honda cleaner and wax spray to finish things off.

I like the Kiss method and this one really is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts