KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my rear shock delivered today from Brook suspension as I am in lock down I fitted it as well no test ride yet. Quality looks pretty good, took a bit to get the OEM shock out as the bottom fitting did not want to move alloy carrier with stainless steel put silicon grease on before refitting K-tech, torqued the two 12 mm bolts up to 50 ft lb if anyone knows better let me know and thread lock.
IMG_20200416_130227.jpg
IMG_20200416_135119.jpg
IMG_20200416_135119.jpg
IMG_20200416_135228.jpg
IMG_20200416_141306.jpg
IMG_20200416_130227.jpg IMG_20200416_135119.jpg IMG_20200416_130227.jpg IMG_20200416_135119.jpg IMG_20200416_135228.jpg IMG_20200416_141306.jpg IMG_20200416_135126.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have put in the suspension sag measurements for comments I found the OEM shock pretty harsh on the back side and as I had fitted a nitron shock to my Aprilia Shiver in the past with good results.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brook suspension offer a 10% discount after your first purchase so might be tempted with the Misano cartridges.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok the
KTM Duke 790 Andreani Fork Cartridge Kit at brook suspension watching the misano cartridges on ebay

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True they would be about £550 with springs after discount need to get out and test ride these mods first .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks smart! Could I ask how much it cost?
The K-Tech was £594 with free postage as it has all the adjustments is about the cheapest
Search results for: 'ktm 790 duke' you can see all the prices here. The main aim of this upgrade is to protect my back so I can keep riding as long as I can as the OEM is in my opinion very harsh.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is that rider weight with gear? full leathers, helmet?
Only problem I see is that you have no static sag, sometimes can be fixed by reducing preload, but generally its no biggie.
My local suspension bloke told me Ktech dont supply a custom spring for the rear shock, gotta buy one on top of the shock.

Test ridden it yet? If it feels really dumped on its nose, try moving the forks down in the triples to jack the front up, (that is until you can get some cartridges).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for helping I have not yet had a test ride still locked down Brooksuspension built the shock to my weight at 112 kg with my usually riding gear on they fitted a 100N/m spring. My gear comes in at 8 kg, the shock should be pre set up by there technicians as per the spec sheet, fit straight out of the box.
The measurements are with my leathers ( no helmet )
what should the static sag be ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
is installing a shock difficult? do you have to take the wheel off?
No Pretty easy with an ABBA Stand. You need to support the bike in the centre so there is no weight on the back wheel undo two bolts holding shock in place, lower down back wheel a little, pull shock out then reverse with new shock in. In You tube video the rear wheels removed just so you can see easier. Plus a 14 mm allen key for the bottom right bolt which is a left hand thread just slacken off once the bolts out should self tighten when bolt is tightened up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No Pretty easy with an ABBA Stand. You need to support the bike in the centre so there is no weight on the back wheel undo two bolts holding shock in place, lower down back wheel a little, pull shock out then reverse with new shock in. In You tube video the rear wheels removed just so you can see easier.
I have an ABBA skylift and a bit cautious about using it again after my GS slipped out of the adapters when releasing it...resulted in deep scratches in the frame

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have an ABBA skylift and a bit cautious about using it again after my GS slipped out of the adapters when releasing it...resulted in deep scratches in the frame
If you are cautious you wont make the same mistake twice. We all learn from our mistake hopefully. I'm sure I over tight the stand before lifting but better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Someone else on here was able to use their Abba stand, looks like they used the upper rearset hole. Pity its not like Jap bikes where you can just stick a stainless steel rod straight through the frame.

Thanks for helping I have not yet had a test ride still locked down Brooksuspension built the shock to my weight at 112 kg with my usually riding gear on they fitted a 100N/m spring. My gear comes in at 8 kg, the shock should be pre set up by there technicians as per the spec sheet, fit straight out of the box.
The measurements are with my leathers ( no helmet )
what should the static sag be ?
They say about 10mm is good static sag, but honestly if it's a lightweight bike with a light rear end thats not gonna happen.
  1. Just make sure youve got some static sag, which it looks like you have, and bear in mind your bike is sloping downwards with the stock front.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you are cautious you wont make the same mistake twice. We all learn from our mistake hopefully. I'm sure I over tight the stand before lifting but better to be safe than sorry.
Actually over tightening and an inherit design issue was the problem. It provided too much pressure on the right side of the bike and lurched to the left when released. Both adapters came out of their holders as there is nothing to hold them in. They really should have a grub screw etc holding the adapters in

·
Registered
110 Posts
Someone else on here was able to use their Abba stand, looks like they used the upper rearset hole. Pity its not like Jap bikes where you can just stick a stainless steel rod straight through the frame.

They say about 10mm is good static sag, but honestly if it's a lightweight bike with a light rear end thats not gonna happen.
  1. Just make sure youve got some static sag, which it looks like you have, and bear in mind your bike is sloping downwards with the stock front.
I hate the look of those sleeves and it was one of the reasons I chose the ABBA stand. Kind of wishing I just bought a regular table lift now

1 - 20 of 24 Posts