KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I got my 790 Duke on October 14th 2020 and already passed 1000 miles on a great break-in trip to the mountains of North Carolina.

I love the bike and I look forward to learning more about it here.
Thank you!

DaveM3Fan

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome, Like you I racked up the first 1000 miles very quickly. I could not keep off the bike and would jump on it whenever I could. Do not be discouraged by reading about problems and faults, I believe the vast majority of 790s are trouble free. My only problems were blinkers wired incorrectly and the coolant hose leak. Very easily fixed. Only advice I can offer is keep the chain well lubed or it will chirp like a birdie, and do not have it too tight.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Welcome, Like you I racked up the first 1000 miles very quickly. I could not keep off the bike and would jump on it whenever I could. Do not be discouraged by reading about problems and faults, I believe the vast majority of 790s are trouble free. My only problems were blinkers wired incorrectly and the coolant hose leak. Very easily fixed. Only advice I can offer is keep the chain well lubed or it will chirp like a birdie, and do not have it too tight.
Couldn't agree more about the chain. Had new tyres fitted and the garage messed up the chain slack. I loosened it off, rode it to the KTM dealers for the yearly service.... and they slackened it off even more!!

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
141 Posts
You will love the bike, Davem3fan. It is so easy to ride and so much fun. As just mentioned by Ming and The Mekon, lube the chain at every opportunity and don't adjust it too tight (search other posts on this important topic). I lube my chains with SAE90 gearbox oil every 150/200 miles. No adjustments needed for last 1300 miles. Otherwise I have had no faults with my bike whatsoever.
Most of our forum posts are merely tweaking a very good bike to make it marginally better or to suit individual tastes. All bikes are built to a price and KTM have hit a clever compromise with the Duke. Of course it can be improved but only by throwing disproportionate amounts of money at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.