KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

On a whim I traded in my Old Harley VRod and picked up a 790 Duke. I figured the Duke would fit what I was looking to do better than the Harley did.
My plans are to
-Go on a few rides with my daughter on back (she loves going on rides with me)
-Do a few 500 mile rides, hitting every twisty rode I can find
-Take it to the Tail of the Dragon, Pig Trail, and any other destination I can convince my family to pass on vacations.
-I also have a short commute that I will likely ride on sunny days

Living in Northeast Wisconsin... its still quite cold but I was able to sneak in a 25 mile ride last week and had a blast! Since my ride, the temperature has fallen back to the 30s, so I only get to look at it in the garage... and with this virus, I'm worried they are going to tell me to stay home once the weather gets nice. Anyway... I'm excited to ride and figure this thing out.

While I wait for the weather, I'm staring to think about modifications I might want to look into, so far I have
-Adjusted to fit me better...
-Moved the bars to the most forward potion
-Adjusted the shift lever
-Switched out the tires (figure I'll put the new Maxxis back on if / when I sell it)
-Ordered a Kaoko Throttle lock

Cheers,
Steve

Attachments

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Steve-

Congrats on the purchase, you have nice taste! I love Wisconsin, what part?

I should have my new Black 790 by the end of the coming week. I plan on riding on the OEM tires while I learn the bike. I know their not the best but I am confident "tires" will not be the limiting factor in my situation. :)

Enjoy and ride safe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve-

Congrats on the purchase, you have nice taste! I love Wisconsin, what part?
I’m in the Green Bay area. Wisconsin is nice, but the roads in this area are mostly flat, straight and boring.

I should have my new Black 790 by the end of the coming week.
Sounds like you have great taste as well!

I plan on riding on the OEM tires while I learn the bike. I know their not the best but I am confident "tires" will not be the limiting factor in my situation. :)
I pushed the tires too hard on my first ride on them like an idiot, and though I saved it… a loss of traction caused a big slide on the front. I was only doing 45 in a turn I usually hit at 60 – 70 as I was trying to scrub in the tires. This has caused me to lose confidence in them, and as I had a set of Q3+ with only 1 track day on them sitting in the basement, I figured I would mount them… then when I sell the duke I can put the OE tires back on and sell with brand new tires.

Welcome Steve!

Fingers crossed for warm days ahead and an end to this whole Covid pandemic.
Amen, here if further hoping we all get through it safe.
Welcome Steve!
How long/miles did you have the VRod for?
Thanks JD,

I had the VRod for 5 years and put about 7K miles on it. After a bad accident on the track in 2009, I gave up riding. 6 years later I got back into riding, I bought the VRod because I figured it would be fun, and at the same time keep me off the track… it didn’t. I had a blast with it the first year, putting about 4000 miles on it, after that I only put about 1000 miles on it a year. I had other toys that I preferred to ride in the garage. In the last 5 years I have put about 45,000 miles on bikes, 4000 of that on the track. I would guess I have another 15,000 miles on 2 wheels from before that time.

My biggest worry with the duke is its seating position… I could easily ride 500 miles in a day on my triumph Daytona, and did 750 miles a day on my S1000RR, but my bad back does so much better on sportbikes… I’m hoping the Duke is going to be an aggressive enough position with the bars forward to be comfortable on distance rides for me.

Here’s a list of my bikes (Previous and current)

1980s
1980’s Honda CR125 Dead - Motor :crying:
1982 Yamaha SECA 750 Dead – Friend Crashed it :crying:

2006 - 2009
2002 Triumph Daytona 955i Sold
2002 Suzuki GSX-R600 (Track) Sold

2015 - Present
2006 Harley Davidson Street Rod Sold
2013 KTM RC8R Sold
2013 Triumph Daytona 675 Sold
2009 Yamaha TTR 125 (Daughters)
2017 Yamaha TTR 230
2017 BMW S1000RR Sold
2013 Triumph Daytona 675R (Track)
2018 KTM RC390 (Track)
2019 Z125 Pro
2019 KTM Duke 790 :grin:

Cheers,
Steve

·
A d m i n .
151,135 Posts
Oh cool!
How do you ya like the Z125?
There is a cart track opening up near my that will have a big Grom presence, track days of a sort. Looks like fun. Think I'll get in on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh cool!
How do you ya like the Z125?
There is a cart track opening up near my that will have a big Grom presence, track days of a sort. Looks like fun. Think I'll get in on it.
My local kart track allows open track time with bikes up to 400CC (if approved by insurance). I have had my Z125 on the track, and wasn't a big fan... but I'm sure that is because I have the ability to take my RC390 out, which is way more fun.

Here is a slow lap on the track with my Z
Here is a faster lap on the same track with my RC

Cheers,
Steve

·
A d m i n .
151,135 Posts
My local kart track allows open track time with bikes up to 400CC (if approved by insurance). I have had my Z125 on the track, and wasn't a big fan... but I'm sure that is because I have the ability to take my RC390 out, which is way more fun.

Cheers,
Steve
Yea the kart track opening near me is a short, super tite track, that one prolly can’t get over 40mph at, haha

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea the kart track opening near me is a short, super tite track, that one prolly can’t get over 40mph at, haha
In that case the Z could be a lot more fun... some guys at the track I'm on run 85cc KTM minimoto, I got a chance to ride one. It was faster and more fun than the Z, but I also think the build set them back close to 10K, I spent $2500 with tax, title and license included for mine. Then I added rearsets so I could switch to GP shift... that was all of $150 more. Can't go wrong for that price. Makes a great pit bike, my daughter and nephew love riding it... and it would be fun to play with on a super tight track.

Cheers,
Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts