KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Not new to KTM's having had a 990sd since 2006 which I traded for a 790, I also talked my wife into getting a 690 Duke back in 2013 which we take abroad with us when touring with our motorhome. I bought the 790 in September and took it to Europe the following week,where I ran it in before getting it's first service at the KTM dealer in Castellon,Spain. Great bike with a lot more gizmos than the 990 or 690, still not tried them all yet.

·
Wish You Were Here
619 Posts
Hi all,
Not new to KTM's having had a 990sd since 2006 which I traded for a 790, I also talked my wife into getting a 690 Duke back in 2013 which we take abroad with us when touring with our motorhome. I bought the 790 in September and took it to Europe the following week,where I ran it in before getting it's first service at the KTM dealer in Castellon,Spain. Great bike with a lot more gizmos than the 990 or 690, still not tried them all yet.
Hi
welcome to this forum I hope you enjoy your 790 ownership
what i have read says the 790 should have been a huge improvement over the 990, do you agree?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi
what i have read says the 790 should have been a huge improvement over the 990, do you agree?
Thy're too different really to compare. The 790 is much smaller, much less aggressive and much more refined.... the 990SD and SDR were quite a handful as well as being large in stature and feel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
Still not sure if I really like it, I loved the more involving ride of the 990,a bit wilder. The 790 is super smooth in comparison and still have the snatchy throttle albeit better since it's first service,also a couple of small oil leaks. Waited so long for this bike to come out and they can't even contain the oil in the bike,never had an old leaky Brit bike but feel like I have one now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thy're too different really to compare. The 790 is much smaller, much less aggressive and much more refined.... the 990SD and SDR were quite a handful as well as being large in stature and feel.
Hi weeksy,
What made you change your mind about getting a 790 ?

·
Wish You Were Here
619 Posts
Still not sure if I really like it, I loved the more involving ride of the 990,a bit wilder. The 790 is super smooth in comparison and still have the snatchy throttle albeit better since it's first service,also a couple of small oil leaks. Waited so long for this bike to come out and they can't even contain the oil in the bike,never had an old leaky Brit bike but feel like I have one now.
it does seem a number of bikes have had oil leak issues from the seam of the bottom engine casting which generally gets fixed by dealer.
Some "leaks" have simply been "oil" dripping down from the hot grease that collects at the front sprocket, this drips down the bottom rear LHS corner behind side stand pivot

Regarding old brit iron i own a lot of these and i have fixed leaks but rarely for good, on newer bikes leaks have always been fixed, most extreme i needed a new engine on my speed triple under warranty to fix the leak

·
Wish You Were Here
619 Posts
I was think just of the 990 as power is similar to 790, the 1290 as we know has approx 50% more weight and power, a totally different beast.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi weeksy,
What made you change your mind about getting a 790 ?
I bought a 990SDR which had issues and split the header on first ride, along with a couple of electrical issues.

I then bought a 950 which had some fuel tank issues LOL... some real and some 'maybe' but more importantly was a 93-95mph death weave, proper lairy and snappy at that speed.. So i decided as i'd bought it for a decent price i could ship it out easily.

Obviously i'd ridden the 790 both on the road and on the track and i felt that i could win myself over from the possible issues of bar position and footrest height. However neither of them seemed to be an issue on my first ride with it. The rest of the 790 i was more than happy with before buying one.

·
bought a 1290 SDR
87 Posts
Hi all,
Hi mate and Welcome,glad your enjoying the 790.My other half also rides a 690 Duke and she loves it.
Trying to talk her into buying a 790 but she wont have it.:)
Enjoy mate.

Ride Safe:smile:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi mate and Welcome,glad your enjoying the 790.My other half also rides a 690 Duke and she loves it.
Enjoy mate.

The initial idea was to trade the 690 for the 790 but she can't ride the 990,so I traded that which means she can ride either her 690 or my 790. We both had test rode the 790 at Drysdales,Perth beforehand.

·
Wish You Were Here
619 Posts
Enjoy mate.

I am in shock
why would a 690 rider not love the 790

1 - 11 of 11 Posts