KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase a new 790... and a minute before making the jump I wanted to get an opinion if this is the right bike for a daily commute of 40K each direction with some heavy traffic part of the way (~50%)
thanks in advanced

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would say it’s almost made for it.
Sure there may be a couple of things that niggle but show me the perfect bike.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
I know this is probably after you already bought, but what the ****....I commute about the same (30 miles) and have been for the last 3-4 months. I hit some traffic but not a whole lot.

I find the stock seat very uncomfortable after about 25 mins of just sitting there. It is fine riding at speed, I think cause the wind helps make me move around, but the slight lean angle forward starts to numb my rears if I don't shift in the saddle. While moving though, I am fine for hours. Aside from that, like JD said, the low end torque and the ease of moving slowly and having that power there makes slow moving traffic a breeze. The rest of the ergos are fine as well. My hands get a little numb but again I think that's the position fixed rather than moving around. I think the only thing that may be more comfy is a couch on wheels (goldwing) but the size of the bike makes it easy to move around at slow speeds. If you haven't already....go buy it!

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
For 40 clicks one way, you should not have any problem. This bike is a very good commuter. As JD mentioned: light, very quick and great engine. Beats commuting on a sport-bike any day. Best, easiest commuter I have ever had, and I have been using a bike as a commuter, on and off -- mainly on, for the past 25 years.

Where are you doing your commuting?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am about to purchase a new 790... and a minute before making the jump I wanted to get an opinion if this is the right bike for a daily commute of 40K each direction with some heavy traffic part of the way (~50%)
thanks in advance
Fantastic all-rounder. I would make sure you break the engine in properly and keep an eye on oil consumption. Mine is getting a new engine installed as I write this. And it's been off the road for a total of 13 weeks.

These bikes are great while they are running great. If you have a problem, let's just say that KTM Aus customer service is happy to make you wait forever!

FYI the rock hard seat does get softer with time. I wouldn't waste my money on the comfort seat, not much difference Imo.

Cheers

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
I think I know the dealer very well. If I am not mistaken, he sold me and my friends multiple bikes... They have loaners or at least bikes available for longer test rides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts