KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Further to discussions in "Anyone flash or tune their 790?", I have an update relating to the Junction 33 remap.

I had my 790 remapped by Andy Martindale of Junction 33 some time ago and have been immensely impressed with the improvements in torque, power and sheer breathless grunt. You might think your stock 790 is a fast entertaining bike but you will be blown away when its potential is released by a proper remap.

In my last report I mentioned that throttle response in Street mode now seemed to be more like Sport mode. As I have subsequently ridden in all kinds of conditions I began to realise that, when cruising on light fixed throttles on flat terrain, there is a definite surging, as if I was opening and closing the throttle slightly, even though I wasn't. I mentioned this to Andy, who then spent more time on the rollers with his own stock 790. He found that his bike also exhibited this surging. Here is his email:-

"I have now gone through with a fine tooth comb from 2% to 10% throttle in 1% increments and have found what I believe was causing the surging issue.
When performing a roll on test in 4th gear or any gear for that matter I observed at approx 3300rpm that the throttle butterflies opened themselves by 1% thus making the power "hop" until 4300 rpm, after which the 8% reverted back to 7% as you can see on the attached photo on the blue trace. There is a correlation between the torque demand maps and the torque monitoring maps via A/F ratio's lowering torque output, causing the torque output to momentarily increase.
I have now cured this along with any anomalies in the fuelling at all other Throttle positions in the 2% to 10% range inclusive. See the red trace....no hop in the curve now. "

So Andy has re-flashed my ECU in accordance with his latest modifications and I am delighted to advise you that all traces of 'surging' have now completely gone. The mapping is fantastic. Same blistering performance but with added smoothness when cruising.

Andy received my ECU at 11am Thursday and I received it back fully updated on Friday at 12 noon. The standard of service is exemplary.

So, if you fancy a remap to release much more performance from your 790, the Junction 33 remap is the real McCoy.

If you already have one of their remaps then Andy has confirmed that he would happily re-flash yours to the latest version.

Andy Martindale, Junction 33 Developments, Unit 1B, Ellel, Lancaster, LA2 0PX, England.
Tel: +44 7742 491202
[email protected]

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they able to remap 890s as well? Or the different ECU is a problem?
Are they able to remap 890s as well? Or the different ECU is a problem?
I don't know but I doubt that it would be a problem for Andy. This guy is on top of the game. He uses Woolich Racing Tuned software, as the basis for his modelling and has successfully used his extensive knowledge to remap all makes of bikes as well as those listed by Woolich.

Obviously the remap can only be optimised on a rolling road. Andy has a 790 of his own - hence the total success of his programme for the 790.

It is well worth an email or phone call - he will reply to either. You'll be reassured and impressed by his knowledge and integrity.

I am totally satisfied with this company and thank them for transforming my bike into a glitch free rocket. It is good these days to find a firm you can trust and who genuinely know what they are doing, hence my glowing recommendation.

I have no connection with Junction 33, nor have I received commission or discounts.

Reactions: dma

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brief correction - Andy apparently does not use the Woolich software to remap our Dukes. So don't expect to find KTM references on the Woolich website. He uses it on other bikes sometimes but not on Dukes. If I get to learn more I will post again.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Confirmation from Andy Martindale - whilst he does use Woolich ECU software on many bikes, the KTM 790/890 project is one that he himself has developed independently and it is completely separate from Woolich.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's done mine and I can't wait to see the difference once I get it refitted
Excellent. Please post your findings and feedback in due course. Get your facial laughing muscles massaged in anticipation 😂

·
Registered
544 Posts
Taking it for a quick shakedown next week then I'm off to Portimão for 3 days on track
Nice one I’ve not done Portimao but did Silverstone GP this week and felt it wasn’t suited to the circuit with the long straights.
First trackday I’ve done in about 8-9 years and thoroughly enjoyed it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah, I'm not doing Silverstone on the 790. It'll be on the limiter down the long straights! I'm not entirely sure about the main drag at Portimao but it should be fun around the rest of the lap. First trackday in 20 years and the last time didn't end well, so fingers crossed for this one

1 - 10 of 10 Posts